millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

Oh, I see. Yeah, I wasn’t talking about that part and I agree that’s a silly perspective to have.

I was talking more about this bit: “It seems amazing to me that there’s probably more discussion online about the next superhero movie than there is about immigration. Maybe now the state of the world is getting harder to ignore and people are starting to wake up to it a bit. Or maybe people will just feel even more powerless and think: ‘I can’t do anything, I might as well just watch this film and get away from the awfulness of it all.’ But the awfulness is festering more and more as we sit in the darkness watching these bright colours.”

People used to sit at home and discuss the movies, or in the pub/bar, or at a sports match they were watching. Now they do it online as well and when Pegg was a kid there was no “online”.

So it’s natural that this feels like a new thing, but it’s not. The medium is new, not the behaviour.

People still discuss politics too, especially online.

Has he never seen Twitter? It’s not all asshole Star Wars fans on there. It’s a whole galaxy of different assholes!

So the the place is called Wonderland. And they say Wonderland twice in the trailer. But the films called Wonder Park?.

It’s almost as if There’s another Wonderland they don’t want people confusing it with.

Meanwhile, under the category of Why We Can’t Have Nice Things:

That was a good interview though I disagree with him some.

I wonder how much of it is just him as an actor wanting to do a different kind of work now and assuming everyone else should now be interested in this new subject matter that he is. I don’t think one thing necessarily precludes the other.

To be honest I read the main part of that differently. I think the main thrust was yes he was a nerd to a degree, as are we all, but was interested in a lot of other stuff, as maybe not all but many of us are.

I’m a big comics fan and that always centres around that genre of work but I haven’t read a sci-fi novel since I was maybe 16, nearly 30 years ago. I love Star Wars as I was born in 1973 but I’m nor really that wedded to the genre.

There’s a lot of stuff I’m into that I don’t mention here because I don’t think that many are interested in this particular place. I don’t really like action films, I have never seen any of the Mission Impossible series, or Fast and Furious, or Transformers past the first one on a plane or basically anything by the likes of Statham/Segal/JCVD etc and probably never will as there are many classic non genre films I’m more interested in.

So yes I am a nerd, I can quote the issue number of Uncanny X-Men where this and that happened but also have no knowledge of large swathes of this stuff too. He was emphasising that part as I do here.

I see the nostalgia problem Steve is mentioning on the past being more cerebral and don’t reallly agree but I also get where he comes from otherwise.

That seemed to be the direction he was going earlier but then he veered into the why are we talking about superhero films and not immigration which is the point where it segued into his new, more serious work. I think it’s a bit pretentious to think we all don’t have interests outside the more geeky ones.

Sure but it’s a conversation, not a controlled manifesto, there’s bits I agree with more than others.

All I was saying is I understand he sold himself through the ‘nerd’ brand initially but that doesn’t mean that’s all he is interested in or it’s pretentious to say otherwise if he admits it’s partly his fault.

It’s not assuming nobody cares about anything else and is single minded but we can also be a bit precious. Like we want actors in genre stuff to be fans when really it shouldn’t matter as long as they do a good job.

A lot of actors want to show their range, and that’s fine, but what they also want is for “their audience” to follow them in whatever direction they choose to go. That’s not so fine.

Pegg can take any role he wants, in fact he can choose to produce films and TV shows that will give him any role he wants.

But he can’t make people watch it, or like it if they do watch it.

If that’s the real issue then there’s really nothing that can be done to change it.

Of course he can’t. Was he saying he could?

I think this is the crux of it. You see it a lot with people who have had a lot of success with (for want of a better phrase) ‘genre’ work and want to move past that.

I think Pegg handles it quite tactfully, certainly more so than the likes of Alan Moore who regularly rails against adults of today finding entertainment in properties designed for the kids of yesterday. I think Pegg is probably more conscious of (or at least cares more about) the risk of alienating that ‘nerd’ audience who still show up for a lot of his stuff.

But it’s a pretty universal sentiment. I think we’ve all probably had moments where we fall out of love with this stuff and think “why am I wasting my time with this crap” - but that’s when you turn to those other hobbies and interests, or all the other stuff that makes living your life worthwhile.

No. Why would he suggest such a thing? It would be ridiculous! :hushed:

What I said is that he expressed regret at being seeing as just nerd. He’s interested in other things as well, but people aren’t as interested in his interest in those things and he wishes they were.

Maybe, maybe not, we don’t know until he tries. I don’t think any one of us speaks for ‘people’.

Will some fans get annoyed? Probably, they usually do about everything. I still don’t get the anguish that Chris Ecclestone didn’t see Doctor Who as the highlight of his life, he did a good job and the public watched it as much as whether he was a rabid fan that wrote letters to Terrence Dicks when he was 8.

What Pegg is saying here is a very very mild version of that.

I said regret, not abject misery.

Pegg actually does a range of work, but who asks him about ‘Mob City’ or ‘A Fantastic Fear of Everything’?

They don’t get the attention that his scifi work does.

I really liked the romcom he did with Lake Bell, Man Up.

That’s about it though.

Friends of mine worked on ‘Run Fatboy Run’, they went to the cast and crew screening and liked the film. They didn’t speak to Pegg but David Schwimmer directed it and he was very nice to everyone.

I definitely saw that movie, but remember almost nothing about it.

I also saw Big Nothing, a movie where Pegg and Schwimmer starred with Alice Eve in one of her first roles, and I hated it.