millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

I know there was once a thread devoted to this, but it sounds like Terry Gilliam may be the next to go down in the #metoo stuff. Unless it’s moved out of the news entirely.

Ellen Barkin’s tweet is in the news thread, too.

This is a tough one for me. I love his movies very much (Brazil ranks high anmongst my favourites), and I was always rooting for him through the rough patches of his career. I think cinema owes a lot of Terry Gilliam.

Why do people have to be assholes?

If he’s an abusive asshole then that’s just the way it is. Has anyone else come forward yet?

Not yet, as far as a quick search shows.

I wonder if it’ll tackle the mixed bag of Leprechaun Origin

No.

Damn.

Has anyone made any specific accusation or is it another indefinite implication that could mean anything?

Yeah we need the actual links don’t we;

The main tweet;

So that’s still shade, but “hard won advice” says something she experienced personally.

Given that a lot of other people have been downright explicit about naming names and making detailed accusations, I am concerned that Barkin isn’t, but I’m not her and that’s her call to make.

It’s meaningless with no context. Terry Gilliam says that the movement is like “mob rule” and the mob attacks him proving his point. If they want to talk about it, then talk about it, but it seems like with Gilliam and others like Deneuve, the response to any criticism is “shut up!”

This isn’t the mob, it’s one person, who has worked with him.

I’m concerned at the lack of specifics, but in this instance that’s all.

It’s ‘the mob’ in the sense that a large number of people have now turned on Gilliam as a result of that single tweet.

I can see Johnny’s point on this. Gilliam is critical of the movement (having not been named in any of the harassment allegations until now), and as soon as his comments are made public someone makes an allegation against him in response.

Whatever the truth of the matter, it makes it look like the allegation is the result of his criticism, and is being used to fight back against him in the court of public opinion.

As the article points out this isn’t the first time she’s made these claims about him. She’s done it a couple of times now. Nor it is the first time he’s spoken out against #MeToo and so far no one seems to have actually turned against him.

Though people with abusive behavior in their past stepping into the public debate about #MeToo, whether pro or con, has brought attention to themselves and inspired the people that abuse was directed at to speak out too.

It’s also the way he talked about Harvey Weinstein like getting raped was quid pro quo for having a successful career in film.

In an interview published by global news agency AFP, Gilliam claims that the #MeToo movement has become “mob rule.”

“It is a world of victims,” he said. “I think some people did very well out of meeting with Harvey and others didn’t. The ones who did knew what they were doing. These are adults, we are talking about adults with a lot of ambition.

He adds, “Harvey opened the door for a few people, a night with Harvey — that’s the price you pay. Some people paid the price, other people suffered from it.”

His publicist must have loved it when that came out of his mouth.

Anyway I just saw that Fantastic Beasts 2 trailer. Looks pretty good! I didn’t like the first one much, but my wife and kid loved it (they also like Harry Potter a lot more than I do). This one definitely looks like a step above the first one though. I think they had trouble recreating NYC in a believable way, so the whole thing felt weird, and this would benefit from moving back across the Atlantic.

Yeah, that’s a separate issue from what I was talking about and it’s pretty difficult to agree with what he says on that.

Context seems pretty clear; there’s not a lot left to guess.

But yes, at this point Barkin would do well to be entirely explicit. At least if she wants an actual reaction; otherwise people will rightly let it go as just a vague accusation.