millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

S.J. Clarkson (possibly) To Helm Next ‘Star Trek’ For Paramount Pictures

Paramount Pictures has begun propulsion power on the fourth Star Trek film initiated by Bad Robot. S.J. Clarkson is now negotiating to become the first woman to helm a film in the vaunted Trek series. The British director just helmed the David Hare-scripted Collateral with Carey Mulligan starring for Netflix. She also directed the pilots of Marvel’s Jessica Jones and The Defenders for Netflix, and her TV helming credits also include episodes of Vinyl, Dig and Orange Is the New Black.

–SNIP–

Paramount’s Jim Gianopulos touted two Trek films. One is the film that Quentin Tarantino hatched with Abrams for an R-rated Trek film. That is being scripted by The Revenant scribe Mark L. Smith. The second, and the one where Clarkson’s name surfaced last week — the studio denied she had been set at that point — brings back the Enterprise crew in a storyline that will involve Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk and his father, who is being played by Chris Hemsworth, who played the role in a cameo flashback scene in 2009’s Star Trek.

–SNIP–

The Grand Budapest Hotel star Ralph Fiennes is set to flex his comedy muscles again as composer George Frederick Handel in period comedy-drama Hallelujah!, I can reveal. Veep helmer and The Thick Of It star Chris Addison will direct the movie which comes from Rush producer Andrew Eaton and Yardie producer Gina Carter.

Set in a riotous 18th Century London and Dublin, the farce follows the drink-sodden and cantankerous Handel who is a forgotten man to all but his whip-smart valet. Worse still, he has lost his inspiration to compose. However, when he overhears the singing of famous actress Susannah Cibber, the composer is moved to write once again and King George II tasks him to create an oratorio to celebrate the new Irish Viceroy in Dublin. Yet, when Handel approaches Susannah with the news, he is shocked to learn that not only does she has a fear of singing in public, she’s also on the run from her vengeful husband. The motley crew travel to Dublin only to realise that London’s gin-soaked alleys are no match for the competing, sectarian politics of Dublin’s choirs, the stupidity of English overlords, and the hypocritical morals of the day. Confronted with these odds, Handel has no choice but to defy his critics and keep going. The shown must go on.

That trailer made me think of this movie:

Just discovered Mogwai have done the sound track for this :metal::metal:

Is that one of the dollar babies?

Probably not. It’s from a guy who does this sort of rotoscope style work. His best one was an adaptation of a section of a Warhammer 40K novel.

I’m actually surprised Darabont let the rights go. He’s been working on an adaptation forever.

The main difficulty is that with this sort of story, it has been done to death (from ROLLERBALL to THE RUNNING MAN to HUNGER GAMES and all the similar films like MAZE RUNNER). The big risk is that all the reviews will be entitled “The (Very, Very) Long Walk,” “The Long (and Boring) Walk” or something similar.

I’m kind of surprised Netflix didn’t go all in on The Long Walk after having success with a couple other King adaptations. It’s actually a pretty good, low budget type of movie that would suit streaming/VOD a bit better than a theatrical release simply because it is such a quiet story for the most part. It’s always been one of my favorite King works, though.

I really hope this is good.

The Long Walk is so simple but also incredibly well crafted as an ensemble character piece.

Mogwai was a popular theft target when I worked in a bookstore. Can’t really explain why, except maybe their non traditional CD packaging that made it impossible to fit them in the security shells we used. Hopefully the thieves liked the music as much as the convenience of getting it…

Honestly, I’ll be surprised if it actually makes it out of development, but I really did want to see what Darabont could have done with it.

Me too about Darabont, but honestly I think anyone with a lick of sense could make something great out of it.

Maybe that’s too much to expect, but I’d hope not.

It’s hard to see it being a blockbuster like IT, but it certainly could be at the top of something like the other good Bachman adaptations.

What’s ironic is that one of the best of these dystopian “arena” movies was actually about something that was very common in America.

Truth is stranger… and more terrible… than fiction.

I would not want it to be a blockbuster.

That would be the worst direction they could take it in. It should be small, intimate, and a carefully constructed character piece.

I agree. It’s hard to see where it would fit in the current theatrical film climate though as the story stands in the novel.

I remember there was a really low budget movie very similar to it a few years ago but with a supernatural element forcing the people to walk. Can’t remember the name though.

A little more on that short.

Then I agree…it would be perfect for Netflix.