millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

I will go to bat for that first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. Trekkies be damned, it’s very mich in the idiom for TOS-era Trek, while providing a bunch of little get-out clauses for the hardcore fans so the old stories still “count”, in a distinctly Star Trek way.

I mean, Into Darkness is shit, but that first one is great.

We can disagree about Into Darkness (definitive Khan, yo), but you’re pretty spot-on about the first one. It was perfectly calculated.

I’ll chase you round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition’s flames before I agree with you on that

Dear God… check your brain for Ceti Eels!!

Exactly.

Cumberbatch’s Kahn was weak and pathetic compared to Montalban’s charismatic and dynamic Kahn.

This:

Doesn’t even come close to being in the same league as this:

I’m not totally sure Cumberbatch is a good actor, that’s why. I don’t think I’ve liked him in anything but Sherlock.

Edit: and voicing Smaug.

There’s a group of British male actors that seem roughly similar to me (Cumberbatch, Hiddleston, Tennant, Redmayne, etc.) that loads of people seem to be enamored with but have never really clicked with me.

I’d add Dohnmall Gleeson to that list as well. These guys must all compete for the same parts.

Although I’m not sure nationality has as much to do with it as this generation of white male actors is just very generic.

That’s fair. The British part just seems to give them some sort of mystique in the US market. I think Jude Law (or possibly Hugh Grant) is the prototype that actually manages to stand out before what seems like several actors made from a similar mold.

He gets a pass for me because of Peter Rabbit. I love that movie and he was excellent in it.

Tsk. Gleeson has been great on Black Mirror, Ex Machina and Revenant, not to mention Frank.

I am surprised you think he’s going for similar parts as Cumberbatch though. He usually plays the average, down-to-earth guys.

I did like him as Doctor Strange.

The only time I’ve disliked Gleeson is in Star Wars. He’s absulotely atrocious in those films. He’s normally a solid presence in everything else though.

I guess Star Wars is what I was thinking of. I haven’t seen Black Mirror or the Revenant and don’t remember anything about him in Ex Machina (I do like Oscar Isaac and consider him one of the better youngish actors).

This trailer sells me on this film a bit better than the first one.

Oooo. Tom Waits.

:heart_eyes: OMG THEY’RE REBOOTING FIREF–

Oh :frowning:

I cannot wait for the title story.
Everything about it seems amazing.

Cumberbatch is a fine actor, but we all know who Kahn is and he’s not a lanky white dude, he has to be Mexican dammit!

They went after Benicio del Toro first, he would’ve been interesting.