millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

Here’s a better one:

It’s better written, but mostly about the albums, not the movie as much.

However;

Innuendo (1991)
Here’s a pitch for a better Queen biopic: It takes place during the making of this album, when Freddie was winding down and yet determined to make music for as long as he could. We learn about the band’s history through a series of flashbacks, each based on the perspectives of the other band members, resulting in a series of different Freddies.

That’s something I could see the BBC doing. I don’t think it’s a movie that would be a hit, but I think it’s something people would watch.

Assuming it was properly researched.

Sasha Baron Cohen would definitely be perfect for that version. With Brett McKenzie as Brian May.

A movie or documentary ending with the produciton of Made in Heaven, centred around the recordng of Mother Love would be really tragic but incredibly emotionally powerful.

The existence of The Way of Water is just going make The Weight of Water (directed by Kathryn Bigelow, Cameron’s ex-wife) an even greater oddity.

Does anybody here want to offer their own top ten?

I haven’t seen enough of the greats to offer a proper list. I’ve only seen 22 of the Top 100.

I’m the same, I only managed 14.

Sure, we probably haven’t seen all of the greats (I’ve seen less than ten in that top 100) but it’s the interesting choices and rankings that I love, which give insight into the individual critics, and help you to understand their tastes.
I mean, look at this:

Willow Catelyn Maclay – Film critic (Canada)

1. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
  2. Godzilla (Ishirô Honda, 1954)
  3. The Cranes are Flying (Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957)
  4. Lola Montès (Max Ophüls, 1955)
  5. The End of Evangelion (Hideaki Anno and Kazuya Tsurumaki, 1997)
  6. Angel’s Egg (Mamoru Oshii, 1985)
  7. Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable (Shun’ya Itô, 1973)
  8. Anna’s Meetings (Chantal Akerman, 1978)
  9. Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 1999)
  10. Green Snake (Tsui Hark, 1993)

As the only critic to put in the End of Evangelion, I’m going to have to track down some of her reviews.

I thought this was also an interesting point:

The six Japanese critics who voted didn’t go for a single Kurosawa film between them.

People familiar with the matter say Abrams’ ambitions are vast and that the prolific producer, writer, and director behind “Alias” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is on the hunt for the kind of super nova-sized deal that would encompass films, television series, digital content, music, games, consumer products, and theme park opportunities.

He is insisting on a certain number of “put pictures,” an industry term for a specific number of guaranteed slots on a studio’s slate of movies. It’s the kind of mega-deal reserved for Abrams’ mentor and friend Steven Spielberg.

Abrams is eager to set a new high-water mark for the value of the deal, with some speculating he hopes for a pact worth half-a-billion dollars or more.

That’s because they asked them to pick foreign-language films!

Here’s where we see just how powerful one person can become.

Jesus. For such a mediocre director, Abrams certainly is having a big impact.

To be fair, I like his producing of other people’s work a lot. He’s got good instincts in what to create, he’s just not a very good director or writer himself.

He’s branded himself well from the outset, that’s really the main thing setting him apart. There are a fair few people who do things way better but he is consistently entertaining just enough to make films that perform, as well as his production company, which is more what this hinges on I suspect.

Yeah, I think this is far more a tribute to his success in being a businessman than in being an artist, but that’s fair enough, really - he gets good projects off the ground (the most recent being Lovecraft Country).

He makes films people want to see.

I put this news in the Box Office thread because that’s what it’s about. Abrams isn’t impacting cinema, he’s entertaining people and making money.

Milla Jovovich Joins Period Thriller ‘Corto Maltese’

Chinese revolutionaries, Russian emperor Tsar Nicolas II and even the mad monk himself, Rasputin, are set to collide in the period action-thriller Corto Maltese , announced at AFM.

Milla Jovovich ( Resident Evil ) and Tom Hughes ( Victoria ) will star. Christophe Gans, whose credits include the French Beauty and the Beast , Silent Hill and Brotherhood of the Wolf , directs from a script by William Schneider.

Set at the dawn of the 20th century, Corto Maltese follows a legendary adventurer (Hughes) hired to hijack the armored train of the tsar that is transporting gold from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok. It’s based on the stories by comic book author and novelist Hugo Pratt.

Principal photography is slated to begin in January. Among various locations, the film will shoot in Europe and China.

–SNIP–

Between the TV shows (Alias, Lost, Fringe, Person of Interest) and the franchise movies he’s delivered over the years, I absolutely want to see Abrams continue to push his creative limits, which as far as I’m concerned are not very limited. Alias demonstrated his ability to take a familiar concept and still make it unique, and blow it up to epic proportions. His Star Trek movies effectively did the same thing.