millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

Really not sure where to put this story. Mods please move it if you can think of a better thread for it:

Probably “What Are You Reading?” if anything,

Yeah I thought about that but it didn’t seem appropriate since I’m not reading it.

“Who Goes There” did not even get a cover credit. Who knew?

There’s a Kickstarter thread isn’t there? I think it’s fine here nevertheless. I backed this a couple days ago. I’ve been reading a lot of 50s/60s Sci fi of late and The Thing is one of my favourite movies so backing it was a no-brainer.

Indeed.
I’m waffling between the regular or deluxe hardcover options.
I hope they put up some mock-ups later in the campaign so I can get the gist.

I’ve gone for the paperback but I’m tempted to up my pledge to the hardcover.

The embargo is up on Bohemian Rhapsody:

And like so many of those other rock star biographies, the emphasis is on cramming as many songs and famous life events as possible at the expense of everything else.

So pointless details get lengthy explanations while crucial facets of the characters are totally unexplored — Freddie’s complicated sexuality is left almost entirely off-screen and the rest of Queen is treated like sentient musical instruments with ’70s rock wigs, but a microphone stand gets its own origin scene. And the whole movie’s timeline is ludicrously condensed. Freddie proposes to his girlfriend moments before the band walks in to announce they are headed off for their first American tour; Freddie finally finds a man he’s spent years searching for and visits his parents for the first time in a decade on the morning of the famous Live Aid concert. That was a heck of a day!

Everything you need to know about “Bohemian Rhapsody” — a broad, frivolous, and uselessly formulaic biopic about an inimitable band of misfits — can be surmised from a graphic that gets plastered across the screen in big letters when Queen embarks on their first American tour: “Midwest USA.” Not “Cleveland,” or “Detroit,” or “Kansas City,” but just “Midwest USA.” There’s not even a comma. That’s the degree of specificity in play here.

So with a performance as commanding as Rami Malek’s at its center, why isn’t “Bohemian Rhapsody” a better movie? Directed by Bryan Singer, who is now officially credited (after rumors that his name might be taken off the picture due to his failure to show up on set during the final weeks of filming late last year), the movie, despite its electrifying subject, is a conventional, middle-of-the-road, cut-and-dried, play-it-safe, rather fuddy-duddy old-school biopic, a movie that skitters through events instead of sinking into them. And it treats Freddie’s personal life — his sexual-romantic identity, his loneliness, his reckless adventures in gay leather clubs — with kid-gloves reticence, so that even if the film isn’t telling major lies, you don’t feel you’re fully touching the real story either. Freddie Mercury was a brazenly sexual person who felt compelled to keep his sexuality hidden, but that’s no excuse for a movie about him to be so painfully polite.

Sounds like the rumors of it being severely watered down are true.

I remember reading something that the surviving members of Queen may be the culprits in the taming of the movie and that’s why Sacha Baron Cohen left the project. It was originally supposed to be R-rated.

Bah, I guess I’ll stick with the prequel, even if it did take a few more liberties with his life story.

mercury_rising

I thought it was pretty accurate.

So it was more complicated than that, but the trailers show a feel good story of a great performer who lived fast and died young (well ok, middle aged).

I think that’s the movie that would work best and I hope, despite the reviews, that the film does follow that path.

EDIT:
Complete different but, did we know that Stallone is shooting a new Rambo movie right now?

Deadline seems to like it:

According to producer Graham King, who worked for 10 years to bring the story of the rock band Queen to the screen, it was always planned to be a PG-13 celebration of the glory of their music, even though some earlier drafts of the script did go into darker areas. There are suggestions here, but not big played out scenes in that regard.

When my wife saw it was PG-13, she asked, “With Freddie Mercury, it should be R-rated!”

When it’s about Freddie, R is “watered down”.

Them were some times.

Uproxx definitely suggests the living members watered it down:

Pretty much every review makes this sound awful.

Oh well, on my shelf somewhere remains the only Queen film you need:

SY445

If I’m honest, it only really feels like it’s going to be bad if you are wanting a Freddie Mercury biopic. They have promoted a Queen biopic from the begining. I’m kind of glad it’s not focusing on his private life and focusing on the band itself as that’s what I want to see. I listen to Queen a lot and the whole band were/are brilliant musicians and writers… Well maybe not Deacon, but everyone else certainly was. I don’t think Freddie’s private life should outshine that in a Queen biopic. Freddie deserves his own biopic for that and I would love to see that too, but I think it’s a different thing. I started listening to Queen when I was 6, I give much more of a fuck about the mic stand origin than how many men he was putting his dick into.

This is probably true though. Dayyyyyyyyyyy-Doe. :crown: