millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie Magic

The Jim Carrey starring TV show ‘Kidding’.

Here’s a higher res version:

Very cool to see the kind of effort they’re putting into a sequence like this. I think single take stuff is often so great simply because it is such a challenge and needs so much work to shoot; everybody has to automatically be at their best and most focused, or it won’t work.

(A bit like stagecraft, where that is concerned, really.)

Kidding is Gondry isn’t it? I’m not surprised to see him doing stuff like this, his films have always made ingenious use of in-camera effects. I remember Kate Winslet talking about a similar (but less complicated) single shot in Eternal Sunshine where she had to walk off-set in one direction, run around the back of the set and then appear on the other side (I think in different costume) and walk on from the other side as a different version of her character.

And then there was all that great forced-perspective stuff like this.

Yeah and there’s loads of it in his pop videos too.

I loved some of the crude but charming stuff he had the characters do in Be Kind Rewind too.

Gondry did the first two episodes, but this one was Jake Schreier, who directed the pretty-good Robot & Frank a few years ago.

Oh, interesting. It looked straight out of a Gondry film to me.

(And I remember Robot & Frank, it was good.)

Gondry’s an EP on the series, so he could still have been involved in planning the sequence.

A bad film but a good example of how complex VFX can get;

Lone Ranger was partially filmed here in Colorado, which brought up the conversation again that Colorado needs to do a whole lot better when it comes to tax breaks and friendliness to attract studios to film here. C’mon, y’all really don’t want to film in Utah, now do ya?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Daredevil - Netflix Season 3 Discussion

Fixed that for ya. I know it goes against the grain, but it does everything right for me.

So comics are basically the key to story telling. Woohoo, where’s our trophy?! What do you mean, “Storyboards aren’t comics?”

Certainly the Sin City books were storyboards for the subsequent films. Same with much of Akira.