millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Most versatile actor thread

Was just reflecting on the range of parts covered by actor Graham McTavish, from a Dwarve in the Hobbit to a Clan Chief wannabe in Overlander to a Frank Fauteux in The Finest Hours to Saint of Killers on The Preacher and wondered who you lot thought might be the most versatile actor out there.

I offer Paul Dano (Little Miss Suinshine, War and Peace) as a starter.

2 Likes

Gary Oldman.

7 Likes

Ruby Sparks and Swiss Army Man are his masterpieces.

Also, Willem Dafoe.

1 Like

Takeshi Kitano. Dude’s been a stand-up comedian, crazy game show host, talk show host, played everything from gangsters to a prison camp governor, a blind masseur swordsman, the head of government program to sadistically have teenagers kill each other, and Takeshi Kitano.

5 Likes

He also designed his own video game for the Famicom that is apparently very existential.

1 Like

Nicolas Cage.

6 Likes

I almost mentioned that, it’s a real trip

1 Like

John Cena?

5 Likes

It’s a cliche but Daniel Day Lewis has made a point of not repeating himself.

Character actors, even famous one like David Warner, spend a lot of time playing a lot of similar roles.

Having said that though, Warner has played a lot of villains of course, but one of my favourite performances he did was Bob Cratchit in ‘A Christmas Carol’.

George C. Scott rather under-played Scrooge, but Warner was great.

2 Likes

Maybe it´s a little Mainstream but i´ll go with Brad Pitt.
Comedy (Burn after reading), Drama (Babale), Romantic Comedy (Meet Joe Black), Action (quite a few) and his stellar youthfull role on Twelve Monkeys.

Also, James Mc Cavoy, Steve Carrel, Mark Ruffalo and John Goodman.

All great actors that deserve an Oscar on their own.

3 Likes

I hope you’re not joking.

When you look at Cage as the super-cool Castor Troy in Face/Off, the stoic Yuri Orlov in Lord of War, the defeated Charlie Kaufman in Adaptation, and the broken Ben Sanderson in Leaving Las Vegas you cannot deny his ability.

4 Likes

Tatiana Maslany

4 Likes

JK Simmons. How can the dad from Juno also be the instructor from Whiplash?

6 Likes

3 Likes

Ian McKellen.

Lets not forget a certain Mr Brian Cranston.

2 Likes

Robin Williams is a good example. Obviously he was known for his manic comedy, but his dramatic turns (Good Will Hunting is probably the best example) are astonishing in their impact. You just don’t expect that from someone who seems to embody the comedic id.

Tom Hardy has become a master of vocal work. My favorite example is Locke, which totally subverts his tough guy image, and has him sitting in a car the whole movie, using a softer voice than usual. Heath Ledger shocked everyone with his Joker. He’d been taken for granted because no one expected that from him. It’s worth noting that he does a killer Val Kilmer in Lords of Dogtown, for anyone who thinks The Dark Knight was a fluke.

Tom Hanks has considerable range. He started out in comedy, but then became his generation’s leading dramatic actor. And as far as accents go, he can do those, too. Watch The Terminal, The Ladykillers, or Cloud Atlas for evidence. Frankly, he’s too easily taken for granted.

1 Like

I’ll reiterate the love for Brian Cranston. The crazy dad from Malcom in the Middle and the crazy dad from Breaking Bad were both outstanding.

I’ll also reiterate the love for John Goodman, who everyone seems to respect and yet also somehow seems under-rated by the world at large. I’ve been re-watching a bunch of Roseanne lately and I just really want to go for a beer with Dan Conner (although the scenes in which Dan gets really mad are quite terrifying).

Also, if we’re talking historically, Sir Alec Guinness. Hell, he once played nine different characters in the same movie (Kind Hearts and Coronets).

Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger played, among other things, Hercules, himself, a barbarian, a destroyer, a bad robot, a commando, a marine, a cop, a twin, a construction worker, a kindergarten teacher (who was also a cop), a good robot, himself, a spy, a pregnant man, a cop, a mattress salesman, a “Nobel Prize-winning molecular biologist and two-time Olympic decathlete who suffers a terrible accident while trying to cryogenically preserve his terminally ill wife” AND a cop. And that was just in the 20th century.

6 Likes

Actually I think they were all “himself”. :slight_smile:

(I love Arnie but I think calling him versatile is a bit of a stretch.)

3 Likes
7 Likes