millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Millarworld Connections...Does Netflix Deal Change This?

So, I may be completely off base–overthinking, underthinking or just wrong. But in the past, Mark has said that most if not all the Millarworld titles connect. I don’t currently have all the series with me to “fact check” but…

So, if I’m not mistaken 1985/6 has quite a significant roll in the mythology, first revealed in Wanted.

Wanted–The villains decided to work as a team, the hundreds and thousands of them rose and killed most of the the superheroes. United, they rewrote reality using psychics, higher dimension imps and super computers. The surviving superheroes were made into parodies and jokes–crude memories existing via comic books, while villains forming an Illuminati/Freemason like secret society where they ruled the world–often as CEOs, executives, etc.

American Jesus/Chosen takes place principally in the mid-80s. The character ends up being the anti-christ (and I assume perhaps a principal part of the conspiracy. Or maybe even a threat to it!). We’ve not yet the return Saviour–but Wanted even mentions the Second Coming being covered up. Implying that the Messiah failed, or was captured, etc.

Chrononauts–I can’t add much, but while traveling back in time, Quinn is hit of course by some sort of wave and his line goes down in 1986. This is when the villians take power–perhaps they sort of protection in place, to prevent time travelers from tampering with their victory?

Empress–This takes places on Earth 65 million years ago. I have no idea how it would tied in, although I guess it would be prime Chrononauts territory.

Huck: If I recall correctly, his mother was referenced in MPH. He’s generally overlooked because the town people are protecting his identity, and perhaps with his learning disability he’s not seen as much of a threat.

Jupiter’s Circle/Legacy and Superior are–those heroes are just the entertainment of the “real world” or possibly, the crude and forgotten “truth” before the the villians rose. I believe Mark said that the cape from Wanted was actually the Utopians, not Superman’s.

Kick-Ass: The first “superhero” since the heroes lost in 1986. He starts the rise of the superhero and it just accelerates from here. We learn that Kick-Ass has become a mantle, not just Dave Lizewski. It’s an inspiration and kind of a symbol of hope for the world.

MPH: Starts in 1986–the world’s “first” and only superhuman was drugged, interrogated and locked up in solitary by the US for almost 30 years. I don’t think Mr. Springfield/Roscoe has much connection to the "old reality’ and most likely the MPH pills were just something the super villains missed and overlooked. There may be a possible tie with War Heroes (which due to it being unfinished, is perhaps not part of canon). Also, Henry Troyat and the superhero arms raced is discussed. Troyat disapeared in 1984 and destroyed all his notes (allegedly voluntarily)…perhaps this is the false narrative that the villains weaved to cover their tracks.

Reborn–I have no idea? In some ways, this lines up how the afterlife works in Millarworld. Maybe again, the villians tampering with reality has closed off Heaven and Hell. Grasping at straws, but perhaps this involves the true Messiah’s failure.

Starlight: Duke McQueen is someone again the villians overlooked, or assumed no one would take seriously. He’s just appears to be a crazy and lonely old man, so he’s just left alone.

Supercrooks: It’s part of the films of the ‘real world’. Similar to Jupiter’s Legacy.

Superior: I don’t have my copy available, and I can’t recall any dates in particular–but perhaps the Demonic monkey is one of the higher dimensional imps? Ala Mr. Mxyzptlk

So…my question.

As such–are we gearing for a climax/storyline where the heroes taken on/expose the villains of the world? Just as Wesley and the 1% participants and donors from Nemesis? It would be very interesting to see a a project where all the Millarworld band together to form a super team to fight them. Maybe saving the Messiah from Guantanamo Bay. Maybe Dave L. comes back from out of retirement and dawns the mask one last time (or serves as a Commissioner Gordon of sorts to Hit-Girl).

Again, a lot of this is wild speculation–but some of this was from Mark’s interviews in the past. Anyone think this might be what it’s gearing towards?

My only fear, is that the Netflix deal has nixed/put the kebab on the eventual big story/crossover that was being built towards–as Kick-Ass and Secret Service are not part of the Netflix deal (from my understanding). I wonder if there was something in place to still allow this to happen. Or if it’s just all small potatoes and a moot point now.

I think Mark always had a clever way to tie each new project into the other titles. I’m not sure if it was ever going to come to a point, it might have if he’d continued on his own. It’d have been a good business idea.

However Netflix own it all now, and while they’re going to for certain have a Millarworld brand for all these movies and shows, I can’t imagine the headache of trying to make them connect. I could be wrong but I don’t see it happening.

I’m not sure it would be a great idea myself anyway for them all to appear in some huge crossover superteam.

Mark’s books often have a very different tones and intent compared to big two comics. American Jesus is quite dark and grounded, Chrononauts is a sci-fi buddy comedy. Jupiters and Wanted can be quite edgy and cynical while Huck and Starlight are innocent and optimistic.

I can see some books could crossover (like maybe the Kingsmen chasing down the Supercrooks) but to use all of them may end up with DCs initial movie problem. How does Shazam appear in the same world as Nolan’s gritty Batman and make it work?

I hereby revoke your status as a comics fanboy. Sorry, Gar, but you’ve only yourself to blame.

I’ve never been a very good fanboy to be honest. I love the comics medium but I’d be perfectly happy never knowing if the Thing is stronger than the Hulk or if they decide to never do a crossover again. :smile:

Excellent points (especially with the conflicting tones)! Yeah, although evidence to the contrary with that long post–I’m not a large fanboy either, and wouldn’t care particularly if a “superteam” existed.

I just am generally disinterested in superheroes properties from most of the companies (a few exceptions such as Coate’s Captain America, Lemire’s Sentry, Ellis’ Wild Storm, etc.) so I think I like the fairly subtle connections Mark was cultivating. I was actually hoping for more of a Morrison’s “Seven Soldiers” kind of culmination–there’s no superteam, but maybe a few phone calls are made that result with Wesley (from Wanted) getting a baton to the face or something.

Millar’s work has a subversive tone at times (the Authority, Marvel Knights Spider-Man) which felt a little shunted when he was doing for “For Hire” work.

It’s kind of the frustration of how Millar’s Ultimate Avengers run ended; it felt very self-aware that no true change could happen and everything was put back in the box. To me, it seemed like fairly perfect meta-commentary of ends work for the Big Two.

I was hoping he’d be able to really open and put a cracking story about the 1% feasting on the 99% (ala the Nemesis 2 plot, etc), but with it all owned by Netflix, you might not be able to bite that hand that feeds you.

I never expected Unbreakable and Split to come together in Glass.

Beware the minds of writers, for they are Stygian and labyrinthine!