millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Millarworld book club: Planetary issue 26 - The end!

“the commies…”

Sue just wanted to make America great again. Luckily Reed had some alternative facts about space ship safety.

Please, davidm. You have to read Planetary. I think it’s a perfect Ellis-comic for you.

My favorite Ellis thing by miles I think.

WOnder how it’s aged, but no time these days. :frowning:

Also the shittiest thing about writing comics is that you cannot look at them and enjoy them anymore. You can be in awe of them, but if they’re bad you’re disgusted and if they’re good you have to pick them apart.

Worth it, but bummer.

Apparently, he’s also very budget conscious when it comes to office furniture. Was that desk made out of cardboard?

On the other hand, it gets you right into it, doesn’t it? I mean, you don’t need to see Reed and Ben at a science fair or do any of that other background business. Just zip right to it.

“We have to go to Mars!”

“What about the shielding?”

“What about the commies, you coward!”

“That’s it!”

Breaks into military base and steals a billion dollar rocket!

“Hey, what’s this teenager doing here?”

“What? Isn’t he with you?”

:open_mouth: Do so! I think you’d like it, and do read it in order!

Yeah, do read it, but be warned the first few issues are pretty slow and not really up to the standard of the rest of the series.

I’m a latecomer to Planetary (about six years ago?), and nearly dropped it after the first trade. The characters take a few issues to develop beyond cool snarky Ellis people with good one-liners, and the early issues are pretty much episodic one-off stories. It really kicks into high gear with the final issue of the first trade - from then on I was hooked.

Found this waiting for me when I got home.

I’ll try and get issue one read today/tonight and pass my thoughts on.

Honestly, I personally would not expect a fan of THE AUTHORITY to naturally also be a fan of PLANETARY. They are essentially very different series. Both sort of diverge from Ellis’ STORMWATCH, but emphasize completely different approaches.

I came late to the Planetary party. Brought into it through a loan of Lorcans issues.

Despite its lack of true action for our lead trio.
The Fight between Doc Brass crew and the Fake JLA comes across as Epic even thou its only 3 pages.
I think it’s Docs words spread over the deaths of each involved in the fight.

I enjoyed that from the get go they are throwing all the usual questions of Who/Why/What?
But no one outside of Snow is too pushed on Answers.
The tone of the book felt Ambitious to me. I enjoyed it. But Issue two delivers a nice follow up punch to keep me interested. Could have only been better had there been robots that changed into other stuff.

Ok, thoughts on the first issue.

With books that begin like this, it’s always tempting to say that everything is there from the first issue; that the book arrives fully-formed with recognisable DNA from the start. And that was my feeling after re-reading issue #1 for the first time in years the other day.

But after thinking about it a while, I’m not sure it’s true.

Once you’ve read the entire series, you can look back on the first issue and see seeds there for lots of import stuff that was to come later. But that’s all they are at this point: seeds. Hints towards bigger things to come that are enough to be intriguing, but without enough detail to really give you a handle on much of anything yet.

What there is though, is some very efficient writing from Ellis that sets up the book’s concept and main characters in a very short space of time, and then proceeds to tell a complete(ish) story with them.

(Yes, as David points out, that was done all the time in the Silver Age, but in the more modern and less compressed style that Planetary adopts, it’s impressive.)

One of Ellis’ skills is to imply a lot with a little, and he does that countless times here. The three Planetary agents feel well-defined even though we don’t have much to go on in terms of detail: Snow’s iciness and caginess and Jakita’s attitude and power in particular.

Also, the pulp heroes all carry the sense of having long, fully-formed histories even though they’re mostly just a collection of archetypes fleshed out only through fairly sparing dialogue. Even the multiversal superheroes feel pleasingly familiar, with a smart deployment of clear analogues for a very famous team.

It’s all shorthand, but it works, and assumes a certain familiarity with pulp/comics history on the part of the reader to really bring it all to life.

While this first issue doesn’t really convey the full scale and scope that Planetary would go on to have, it’s suggestive of enough to make you intrigued to come back for more next month - which is maybe the most important thing for a first issue, really.

Now, having talked a lot about Ellis, I think it’s worth considering Cassaday’s contribution. I think the designs for this series are really strong, and the three leads introduced here feel as though they’re defined at least as much through the visuals as through the dialogue - both in terms of their costumes and general look, and in terms of subtler things like body language, posture, facial expressions and so on.

Also, I love the touches of realism that Cassaday brings to the page. Little things like the small impact-craters that Jakita makes when she jumps to the ground from the helicopter are a good example (and while they were called for by Ellis - as the script to issue #1 that’s printed in the back of the omnibus shows - it’s Cassaday who makes them work).

Another thing revealed by the script is that Ellis had very specific ideas for how the pulp heroes should look, but he then gave Cassaday carte blanche to come up with his own designs for the JLA analogues (although Ellis dictated which characters they should be based on). I like that Cassaday went so crazy and offbeat with them. They’re quite futuristic I think - it contrasts nicely against the old-fashioned pulp heroes.

Other great visual concepts include big stuff like the Snowflake - where Cassaday actually departs from Ellis’ script to a small extent, by saving the explicit reveal of the tiny Earths until a few panels after Ellis calls for them to be seen. I guess he had a strong sense of when that detail needed to be revealed.

There are also loads of great smaller throwaway details - would the Murder Colonels feel anywhere near as weird and wonderful without Cassaday’s illustration? And would the waitress of the first few pages be anywhere near as memorable without that wonderful panel of her pissed-off scowl?

While it might not quite provide a fully-formed version of the series that Planetary would eventually become, there’s enough in this first issue to indicate that Ellis and Cassaday are working in tandem together very well (had they collaborated before this? I forget), and that there’s lots of scope for where the series could go in future issues. It might not be a perfect first issue, but I think it’s clearly something fairly special from the off.

I don´t know if i´ll call it Perfect, but considering the amount of info, character traits, and misteries conveyed in only 22 pages.
I´ll say that´s pretty near that.

It´s almost like the two fisrt chapter of Lost, the begining of a Mythology that spawns from the little seeds…
Plus, we have to give Ellis credit for being abble to put that amount of “seeds” (as they are) basically only trough dialogue (There´s some sort of exposition when they talk abot the computer, but all else is “Walk and talk” or “Sit and Talk” or “Kiking a Rhino over the Grand Cannon… anbd talk”).

If you don’t like it, send it on to me. I have a bit of shelf space left.

The Snowflake was total Laura DuPuy/Martin! Page was delivered and she went to work. All color. (Layman, correct me if I’m wrong.)

I think you’re right in terms of what ended up on the page. But Cassaday definitely worked on concept designs for it, at least - there are some of them reprinted in the omnibus at the back.

In the end they went for a cleaner kaleidoscope-like look that was all done with colour for the big splashpage though, rather than inked in the traditional fashion.

Does anyone know if Cassaday pencilled the final page for Laura Depuy/Martin to work from? I can’t turn up the original art from a quick search.

Does the omnibus include the script, Dave? (I never upgraded from trades/hardcovers…the omnibi are so unwieldy)

Obligatory pedantry: “omnibus” is already a Latin plural, you don’t need to make it into a Latin plural :slight_smile:

[quote=“DenizCamp, post:79, topic:9506, full:true”]
Does the omnibus include the script, Dave?[/quote]
Yes, just the script for issue #1.