millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Millarworld book club: Planetary issue 26 - The end!

#“It’s a strange world - let’s keep it that way.”

Following in the footsteps of the Watchmen book club thread, the next book up for discussion is Warren Ellis, John Cassaday and Laura Martin’s Planetary.

As before, I think it might be best to keep things relatively loose in terms of discussion - we’ll go through the series issue-by-issue, and after a week or two (or whenever it seems like the right time) we can move on to the next chapter.

I’m thinking it might be best to use the Omnibus as the guide in terms of reading order - so that means starting with issue #1 (rather than the “Nuclear Spring” preview story that appeared in some Wildstorm books before the first issue came out, but which fits chronologically later in the series), and also dealing with the three crossover one-shot issues later on.

There’s a useful resource here that provides some issue summaries and other information, which might give us some good jumping-off points for discussion.

Also, anyone who hasn’t read Planetary and wants to give it a try can download the entire first issue for free on Comixology, here.

Millarworld book club: Watchmen - issue #12

OK, let’s get straight to it!

Planetary #1 - “All Over The World”

And just to throw a monkeywrench in there, do we want to do the preview as well?

Read the first post Lorcan! :slight_smile:

(The omnibus situates the preview chronologically, between two later issues, though I forget which exactly.)

Does that sound like something I’d do?

BTW, am I supposed to read your posts or can I just skip them?

Only a hack person who’s works I don’t like would skip posts without reading them.

What’s the point in coming here if not to read my posts?

I don’t have the omnibus, but the hardback of volume 1 puts it in the back, so nominally between issues 6 and 7

TL;DR

I just looked it up and apparently the omnibus puts it between #12 and #13. Hmmm. I don’t know Planetary well enough to know where it belongs best, if I’m honest.

I’d say anywhere after issue 1 and before issue 18, really. I assume they put it between 12 and 13 in the omnibus as that’s the start of the run of issues which delve into the secret history of Planetary and The Fourth Man.

Might be an idea to do a Millar book next time folks.

The library I work in doesn’t have a large graphic novel section, but it has book 1! A quick trip downstairs put it in my hands, so that’s nice.

As part of the last thread, suggestions for the next were discussed, and Planetary was the most popular choice.

If anyone fancies running one for a Millar book, there’s no reason why we can’t have several similar discussion threads on the go at the same time?

I’d love to participate in this one but still haven’t finished Watchmen. Hope you all enjoy it.

I agree with @Jim. A Millarworld (or at least Millar written) book would be nice to do next as it would fit in with the board’s primary purpose.

It’s likely better to finish one before another one starts. So they don’t compete as much. The participation in these have been fun.

I think it’s best not to have several threads if we want this to continue to be a thing. However seeing as we’re here on Millar World, I think it’d be respectful to include some of the Chief’s books as part of the club. It feels like the right thing to do.

OK, well, given that Planetary is a fairly long series (27 regular issues and three specials, plus the preview story) that would probably take us the best part of the year given the pace that we got through issues in the Watchmen thread, maybe it’s best to leave it for now, and for someone to do a Millar book instead. The last thing I would want is for a fun exercise like this to come off as disrespectful.

Planetary is a great choice for this sort of thing. Lots of geek depths to plunge, and gloriously textured.

Sorry, I didn’t mean my comments as punitive. I wouldn’t switch course as @Mike said Planetary is great for this. I just think it’s a good idea to keep Millar in mind for the next one. I don’t think it really doesn’t matter how long it takes.