Comics Creators

Millarworld Annual - Writer Submission Guidelines!

Okay, you’ve heard the exciting news. Anyone who’s ever fancied a bash at writing or drawing comics is in luck because I want to lend you a hand. Going forward, I want to do a once-a-year event where prospective writers and artists get a chance to write or draw our Millarworld characters and get paid for the sheer joy of it.

I’ve always been very precious about letting other people do my creations so this is quite unusual, but I really do believe that the only way we can thrive as an industry is if new talent gets a chance. Comics has been really good to me and I want to do what I can with my limited time to give budding creators a wee chance too if they’re maybe unsure where to start. So in the other thread you’ll see the specifications for new artists and when this thread goes live next week you can read all the details for new writers. We’re preparing a submission guideline here as, like Marvel and DC, you need to sign a document to send in with your ideas and we’ll have this ready for you next week with a special mail-box you can send it to. Our team will read over all the submissions and the six best will be contacted on December 23rd as a lovely Christmas surprise. It’s as simple as that.

We’re looking for full scripts for the following characters and, just like the artists, the people we select will be paid Marvel and DC starter rates. This is currently $90 per page for writers, $200 per page for artists and we will be providing all colours and letters to make the stories look as good as possible. I’m going to pay these rates out of my own pocket and I reckon we’ll make our money back quite comfortably. Any profits I want to donate entirely to the Hero Initiative charity as there’s something quite nice about new creators directly helping the men and women who’s work possibly inspired them in the first place.

We won’t be opening this thread until next week so hold off sending your submissions until then. However, in the meantime you can chew over some ideas, the characters planned as short stories below and all four or five pages long.

KICK-ASS story set between Bks 1-3 (5 pages)
KINGSMAN story starring Eggsy (5 pages)
HIT-GIRL solo adventure (4 pages)
STARLIGHT starring Young Duke McQueen on Tantalus (5 pages)
AMERICAN JESUS set during first book (5 pages)
CHRONONAUTS set in the past, during first book (4 pages)

But none of these, you must remember, should be submitted until this thread gets formally opened next week and only entries with the signed submission slip can be read.

1/ One entry per person
2/ Please include contact details with your submission
3/ This search is for new undiscovered talent
4/ All entrants must be over 18.
5/ The deadline for submissions is November 30th.
6/ The selected six artists and six writers for the 2016 annual will be contacted on by 23rd December 2015

Wednesday Fan Chat #28 - Dan Didio
Wednesday Fan Chat #29 - Adam Kubert

I don t understan. It is 5 pages o 5 pages of each character you gotta submit?

The details will be released next week, but you’ll only get to pitch one of the characters. Mark has already determined how long each story will be for each character. So if you want to write Kick Ass you need to make a pitch for a 5 page story.

Hello, i have some questions about the submissions. So is 3 pages or 5 pages? I need to do the characters listed above, or any other comic character can be used? The submissions have to be posted here in comments section, or email?

Does “new undiscovered talent” mean that someone who was published in an anthology cannot submit to this or does an anthology not count? I am a comic creator and writer and I was published a few anthologies so I am not sure if I can submit to this. I am a big fan of Mr. Millar’s comics!

Thank you,
Troy Vevasis

Each character has a set number of pages.
You can only use the properties listed.
The submission process will be revealed later in the week.

So long as you’re not working (or have not worked) a regular paid comics gig for a major publisher you’re fine.

i dont get it too

All the info is in the post by Mark at the top of the page guy’s take time to read it again and I’m sure your questions will be answered.

It’s 4 or 5 pages of one character depending on what character you choose

KICK-ASS (5 pages)
KINGSMAN (5 pages)
HIT-GIRL (4 pages)
STARLIGHT (5 pages)

Hope this helps.

May I have some clarification on the narrative parameters?

1. Are these stories set before, after, or during the existing comics?
    Ex: If doing Hit Girl, are we to assume we’re dealing with her epilogue apprentice or can it be set earlier ( ex in prison, w/ Big Daddy, etc )?

2. Should these stories jive within established canon or riff alt-earth versions?
    Ex: Starlight already riffs off retro space operas like Flash Gordon. Are we granted the same latitude with Duke that creators have taken with Gordon?

3. Does our story need to feature the main character ( or any characters ) from the original comic?
    Ex: If we do Secret Service, are we to focus on Eggsy? Can we focus on Jack, Giles, etc. instead? Can we invent an agent ( potentially disposable ) as long as we stick to the rules of MI6 and use/ reference established locations/ ancillary characters?

4. In the cases where there’s both a comic and a movie, which do we work from?
    Ex: The list specifically mentions ‘Kingsman’… but are we actually writing a 5er on The Kingsman or The Secret Service’s MI6?

I’m trying to edit first post to clarifying, but for some reason won’t let me in. The above is a good question so just to simplify could someone change the line-up to…

KICK-ASS story set between Bks 1-3 (5 pages)
KINGSMAN story starring Eggsy (5 pages)
HIT-GIRL solo adventure (4 pages)
STARLIGHT starring Young Duke McQueen on Tantalus (5 pages)
AMERICAN JESUS set during first book (5 pages)
CHRONONAUTS set in the past, during first book (4 pages)

Great idea. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Just a thought: I wonder if it’s worth suggesting that any forum regulars entering the contest submit their work under a pseudonym, just to head off any possible suggestions of favouritism? I’m sure there will be a lot of people watching this competition closely and it might be a good way to head off any possible complaints on that front.

I’m in. I’m so in.

Who’s in the submissions team?

No nemesis?!

I had a Kick Ass story (see what i did there) for that! :wink:

What kind of format for the writer’s option ? Anything specific ?

I don’t know of the industry standard or can I just google a format .

So long as you’re not working (or have not worked) a regular paid comics gig for a major publisher you’re fine.

Thanks for the clarification! One more, tho – I’ve not have a regular gig but have had a graphic novel out from one of the larger non-Big 2 publishers, plus a couple anthology shorts. I’d reckon this is enough to disqualify me but want to check just in case – I’m definitely not a ‘known’ name and would love to participate if eligible.

I am interested in writing one for STARLIGHT starring Young Duke McQueen on Tantalus (5 pages). Starlight is my favorite Mark Millar book! In the book there is a page that shows four different adventures in one panel each that Young Duke McQueen was on. Like the Robot King and The Ice-Apes Am I supposed to expand one of those adventures or come up with my own?

Thank you,
Troy Vevasis

Hi! I have been working as a writer for Disney Comics in Italy for a while, so I am a professional, just not in the superhero genre. Still, I’d love to branch out into it and I’d really, really, really love to write a Kingsman story for this call. Am I still eligible?

I have certainly worked as a professional colourist (for both DC and Marvel) – however, I have no credits as a comic book writer. Since I would be “new undiscovered talent” in the comic writing field, does that mean I am eligible for this competition, or that I’d be disqualified due to my colourist credits?

Thanks so much, and best of luck with the contest!