millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Millar's Golden Secrets for Comic-Book Creators

I think this is really important. Fresh, unique and genuine seems to be what those that have all the money are looking for.

Every one of these things seem like the least likely to be made into movies and all made into movies in record time. They’re totally uncynical in that they were just what the creators wanted to write and draw. That’s the biggest lesson for all of us.

MM

Some books you can tell are just pitch documents where its shortcomings will be ironed out by screenwriters rather than an actual story crafted by its creators to tell a tale in comic book form.

Mark, I look at your work and see complete stories where you tell the tale with the “unlimited budget” a comic book allows you to do. If a particular book of yours is never adapted into another medium, you can still take pride in the comic book.

And on that note
PREORDER THE MILLARWORLD ANNUAL TODAY!!!
seriously nothing’s stopping you!

Here’s the previews link

Quote the previews code to your local comic book shop MAY160571

Here’s Mark and Rachel’s thoughts on this epic endeavour

And this as well where Mark mentally scars a kiwi author with the crippling fear that he will never again be able to live up to the hype of a Allan Moore style story :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But most of all do it for the Children!!!

How did you find your first artists then, MM? Those artists that weren’t yourself anyway…

Not so long ago Mark had a thread with over 700 artists who were interested in working on Hit Girl. You might want to take a look - if you have a good IP that already has a following and folks inspired by it you might have someone who’d draw some of it for you:

Thanks, Jim. I’ll get on it.

This is wonderful. I particularly liked the part about doing comics for the sake of doing comics, not as a way to get into movies. And also the bit about not trashing other creators.

As I said via email, HUGELY helpful. It’s the side of everything that I have no experience in/with. Genuinely great, great wisdom here.

Thanks for sharing this. Your annual will be the first single issue comic I’ve purchased in years.
I will be submitting for the annual again in Sep. Last time I didn’t have time to do something tailored to the annual, this time I will, which I’m excited about. I’ve posted a mini Hit-Girl comic, as well as samples of my work in a separate thread in CC, but haven’t had many replies. I would love some constructive criticism from any of you, but especially from Mr. Millar.
Thanks again for what you shared at the beginning of this thread, and everything else your doing to give back to the community. Your generosity is literally astounding.

Did Mark put a kiss at the end of his name or was that a typo?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Never had the chief down a X kinda person, unless it was followed by -Men!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Millarworld Annual Promotional Activity or We Want You!

Thanks again Mark for all the advice. I hope I can turn this massive opportunity into something to make you proud.

I don’t come on here enough and I’ll try to rectify that in the future. This creating lark can be very insular and it’s good (but tough) to get out of that habit and share with others. All the greats say the same thing: don’t write/draw/create in a bubble, always help each other out where you can because every person over the wall is another victory, and that person might be the one to reach back and give you a hand.

It’s very good to come here and talk stuff through. The board keeps me sane while working :slight_smile:

MM

“when”? :open_mouth:

In the interests of my sanity, any advice on writing blurb? Back cover blurb? Creating your own worlds and own characters, how much or how little do you reveal? Do you sell characters, the world or your voice? It’s the MOST difficult thing I’ve come across.
I can put together a promo that does it, because Music, Images, Words (and that’s my background), even a face to face pitch I can get, but that blurb is so difficult to gauge.
Now I’m (finally) seeing reviews of my work, I’m thinking perhaps I should take my lead from them as they all enjoy certain aspects of the story and so big up the specific strengths people apparently enjoy the most…
So yeah, any advice for that little nugget?

@officer_trubshaw

I should think that would be selling the story. Kick@ss wasn’t sold on the character, it was sold on superheroes happening in the real world. I guess that would be the metatextual concept – the big idea of the story.

Therein lies the rub, Max - . the story is “a bunch of not-classically heroic” (barmaids, college lecturers, psychopaths, boxers, a valet, a few random nasty mercenaries) people end up accidentally having to save the world from a zombie army and steampunky monsters…

And the world’s magic is not just for “special” people, but can be used by anyone so has been industrialised by corporations and what have you.

I find if I try to sell the story USP AND the world USP it gets a little too confusing. And dry…

The series has been compared to The Princess Bride, Brent Weeks (I don’t know who he is but he seems popular), M Banks’ non-Culture sci-fi and Pratchett. Which is great but I can’t seem to create the blurb to set THAT tone…

(And thanks for bothering to reply).

Not to get too far off topic, but the meta textual of the zombie narrative is of the individual vs the group mind. The story of “the other” if you will. If the zombies are the predominant population who is the other? Or the aberration more specifically. The Narrative of your story may have been confusing, but the meta textual is easy

The zombie part of the story, and the meta textual idea of group mind works with the larger theme of Imperialism and Industrialisation - the remaking of the individual in the modern (Victorian age) and the rewriting of history by the “victors”.
(Alternate histories are remade for colonised territories so individuals lose the continuity with their own culture, the dehumanisation of the individual to feed mass-production required to build an Empire, so there’s mind-control, zombies, yeah, you get it.)

Hello :slight_smile: So who are the finalists to the selection process?