millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - SPOILERS!

Ah yes, it’s been way too long since I watched that movie.

No, Neo’s ability came from a cyclical and compounded system error (the “anomaly” I think they called it) that couldn’t be fixed, despite the Architect’s best efforts… which is why they (Architect & Oracle) created the whole myth and prophecy of The One, as a bait to get the anomaly expunged from the system by absorbing it into the mainframe, followed by a reboot and starting another cycle. But it wasn’t part of the machines’ plan at all… rather the best fix they came up with.

See, this is part of why the matrix reloaded is actually the most realistic of the three movies. By the standards of IT, that is a plan.

wtf are you even talking about? How is something that wasn’t planned a plan?

Anyways, we’re going waaaay off topic and apparently you’ll say any kind of non-sensical bs to win an argument, so… yeah, sure buddy :smile:

I think Lorcan was actually being self-effacing - the joke is that, for an IT professional, coming up with a messy ‘best fix’ is a close to a solid plan as it gets.

It’s not saying any kind of nonsensical bs to win an argument when he’s right:

The Architect explains that Neo is part of the design of the sixth iteration of Matrix, designed to stop the fatal system crash that naturally occurs due to the concept of human choice.

The anomaly is human choice. Neo is part of the machines plan.

There’s a reason why all the Neos looked like Keanu Reeves - he was cloned repeatedly

I thought it was because Keanu doesn’t have a lot of range as an actor.

Not precisely “The One” is indeed part of the plan, as in the whole prophecy of the One and the Quest that goes along with it. Neo himself is not part of the plan… Morpheus could’ve been the One, or Trinity, or someone after Neo, since the “integral anomaly” can’t be predicted… it just happens at some point. Hence the Oracle’s role in scanning every potential.

[quote] The Architect: Quite right. Interesting. That was quicker than the others.

The responses of other Neos appear on the monitors: “Others? What others? How many? Answer me!”

The Architect: The matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the sixth version. [/quote]

Those quotes don’t really make your point though

Well I didn’t want to quote the whole thing, it’s in the transcript… but here’s another morsel:

[quote] Neo: Choice. The problem is choice.

The scene cuts to Trinity fighting an agent, and then back to the Architect’s room

The Architect: The first matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is as apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being, thus I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another, an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother.

Neo: The Oracle.

The Architect: Please. As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99.9% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice, even if they were only aware of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was obviously fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that if left unchecked might threaten the system itself. Ergo, those that refused the program, while a minority, if unchecked, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster. [/quote]

The anomaly isn’t choice per-se, but rather created when some people, despite the choice they are given, reject the program. The more it happens (as in the more people wake up) the worse it gets (an escalating corruption of the code in the Matrix, presumably) until the emergence of “The One”, at which point the contingency plan (as in the plot of the Matrix Reloaded) kicks into full gear and is supposed to end in the Architect’s room.

Edit: Oh and btw, and coming back to Agents of Shield, you’ll notice it’s exactly what happens in the series with the framewrok. At first, when they capture Mai, Aida keeps trying different scenarios, perfect ones at the begining but Mai keeps rejecting them, until she comes to the same conclusion… The whole alt-history of the framework is indeed based on choice, in that Aida gives them the chance to change the one thing they regret the most.

My reading of the “anomaly” was that the Machines couldn’t always accurately model human choices within the system itself. This led to occasional glitches, which in turn led to those within the system over time rejecting the simulation and subconsciously “hacking” it’s underlying rules.

Given billions of connected pod-people and enough time, it then becomes a question of numbers - at some point an individual succeeds in achieving “root access” to the underlying system, threatening the whole thing. The subliminal choice hack developed by the Oracle after the second “Nightmare Matrix” is entirely that: a hack to reduce the numbers actively hacking the program. It merely slows the process - at some point an “anomaly” will occur and an individual will penetrate the system’s defences.

At that point, they need to discover how the hack took place so they can patch it before the entire system crashes - ergo they social engineer the hacker into surrendering his “code” so it can be debugged.

It’s possible I’ve given this too much thought.

Thanks for you thoughtful reply and contribution… as always :thumbsup:

hey, look over there… a puppy!!! --------------------------------------------->

YAY! I love puppies!

They’re totally going to use project looking glass to bring Agent Pinnocio Metaphor back to life, and then I will laugh. I will laugh so long and so hard.

Not a surprise really.I figured the character would have to show up again by the end of the season.

Yeah, that was a foregone conclusion. I pretty much said exactly this would happen at the end of that story arc.

YES!!! It’s about time!!!

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that they’re getting ready to kill Mack off.