millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV take over the world

Well, I think we just caught him on a good day.

It’s payday! I have money for a couple of hours!

Refills! Food! Beverages! Supplements! Comics! Music! (I promised myself some Stevie Wonder this month.)

But not always at the same time.

I’ve not heard much hate except for the last one and I think there’s probably a lot of personal taste involved in getting excited by 30 second bursts of Raimi quirks over 30 second bursts of Whedon quirks in very conventional films.

Yo think the difference between Raimis Spider man and, say Iron Man, is the Levis.

The X-Men movies, Spider-Man movies and MCU movies are all big-budget studio superhero films designed for mass appeal. Arguing about which ones are most individual and least bland is a bit like trying to decide which of the seven dwarfs is the tallest.

Does that mean they aren’t entertaining? Of course not. Does that mean they don’t contain moments of more individual directorial flair? No. I love the weird Raimi touches in Spidey, the Whedon-y dialogue in Avengers, the great character relationships and personal drama of the X-movies, even the Shakespearean grandeur of Branagh’s Thor.

Like Gar says, I think picking between them is largely a case of what appeals to your own personal taste. I’ve always loved Spidey, and I also feel like the X-Men films broke ground for the superhero genre, while the MCU is doing shared-universe stuff that we could only dream about even a decade ago. It’s a great era for comicbook movies.

It’s interesting how differently many of us see these movies. I thought DoFP was pretty by-the-numbers - an okay superhero story, if a bit silly when it came to the solutions, and a bit heavy on the pathos overall. What I really loved about it were mainly the visuals - so many people with super-powers, and those powers so brilliantly staged!

In comparison, I thought Guardians had a much more punk rock energy to it.

So the point, is we should all just go and watch Defendor?

Because I could get behind that!

It was never going to be that. Never. Not a chance. I didn’t even consider the (im)possibility.[quote=“Christian, post:614, topic:31”]
It’s interesting how differently many of us see these movies. I thought DoFP was pretty by-the-numbers - an okay superhero story, if a bit silly when it came to the solutions, and a bit heavy on the pathos overall. What I really loved about it were mainly the visuals - so many people with super-powers, and those powers so brilliantly staged!

In comparison, I thought Guardians had a much more punk rock energy to it.
[/quote]
Marvel are mixing things up nicely. If people want something else that’s great, but they’ll have to look elsewhere.

The wonderful thing about the success of these movies is that it’s opening up the possibilities to explore the genre in different ways.

Yes the visuals and the staging of the powers are two of the big things, and also I think Magneto is probably the best character in any of these films—both the McKellan version and the Fassbender version. He’s as unpredictable and enigmatic as Ledger’s Joker but also a gentleman with a soft side and quite layered as a character.

I was saying the other day that the Marvel films all feel like a Jim Lee book so far (well, since Iron Man sealed the template). Pretty to look at, great spectacle.

But I’m starting to itch for a Ted McKeever, if that makes sense. Won’t happen, but I’m saying I like variety in my superhero books, and at the moment all of Marvel’s film output feels like the same creative team on each book (film).

They’re kind of adressing that already… Winter Soldier did feel like a “different creative team”, so did GotG… We’ll see about Ant-man, but Doc Strange and Inhumans at least should feel pretty different as well… Not so sure about Thor though.

“Spelling isn’t one of my superpowers.”

There does seem to be a House Style though.

The only MCU output that I’ve found to be vastly unique has been Daredevil.

And Agents of Shield… in that it’s REALLY subpar =P

WS could’ve been more different, but they kinda screwed that up in the final scene… But still… it “felt” different enough for most people to take note of it.

Damn, I am really looking forward to X-Men Apocalypse now. Could be an awesome movie. Overall the X-Men movies are my favorite superhero movies, I like them better than the Marvel Studios ones or the Nolanbats ones. The Marvel movies have been entertaining but not really great movies by any stretch of the imagination.

As for villains, I think Marvel Studios villains have been a bit boring and predictable. Also in all of Marvel Studios movies except the team movies the villains are an evil version of the hero; Iron Man/Iron Monger, Thor/Loki, Captain America./Red Skull, Hulk/Abomination…and it looks like it will be the same in Ant-Man. The best superhero movie villains are Ledger’s Joker and Magneto for me, with Ultron being my favorite from the Marvel ones.

ULTRON was better than most but in the end something of a manufactured threat (literally) than a cohesive character. Not more than the sum of its parts. And it was something of a piecemeal construction with “father” issues similar to Loki’s and a “negative” version of Stark himself never actually becoming its own character - certainly not as well developed as Ultron in the comics who has a considerably complex (and complicated) plan for the world. Like with the Dark Elves in Thor 2, there was more implied than realized.

I watched “Get On Up,” the James Brown biopic, tonight. Holy crap is Chadwick Boseman great in it. Even better than he was in 42, and he was awesome in that. I can’t believe he wasn’t nominated for a ton of awards.

I can’t wait to see what he does with Black Panther. What an enormously gifted actor.

we are continuing here: Marvel movies & TV - The thread!!

closed #627