millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Or the second one, so we can get this scene:

Cretton’s Short Term 12 is one of the best movies of the last decade, and has one of the best young casts ever: Brie Larson, Kaitlyn Dever, Rami Malek, Stephanie Beatriz, John Gallagher Jr, and Lakeith Stanfield are all great in it.

It’s a very naturalistic film. Not at all what I’d expect for someone directing a martial arts action movie.

That’s how Marvel operate though, isn’t it? Get an odd choice to direct, but have it be someone who they can force to conform to the house style. Sometimes the director gets away with more, sometimes less. We’ll see how this goes, but I doubt that they’ll be giving us anything that strays from the formula. Will the fights look exactly like every other movie? Or will that be the standout talking point while everything else adheres to making movies the Marvel way?

Well that’s kind of my issue. So far the best action in a marvel movie comes from the Russo brothers, who had actual experience directing action before they were hired.

The action scenes in Civil War were directed by the John Wick guys.

And even then the camera shakes too much.

The action in Winter Soldier is fantastic.

I mean that just further proves my point.

I think the action scenes with Marvel are all different kinds. People loved Winter Soldier because it was pretty street level (like Heat, but with superheroes). That doesn’t take away from the action of Ragranok, or Iron Man 3 or Dr Strange or Ant Man or Guardians 2.

Marvel shouldn’t be like John Wick (for the vast majority of their franchises). The Marvel movies are about delivering spectacle, and you can do that in all manner of ways. Great direction is dealing with a 3 front battle and effectively telling the story, building up the tension and delivering a great cinematic experience. Avengers for example still is the gold standard for Marvel action, maybe the gold standard for blockbusters in general, but it’s a certain type of action that doesn’t measure against typical gunplay action or kung fu movies.

I expect Shang Chi to be really dominated by wire-fu along with a little bit of CGI powers. I’m really looking forward to it - the Marvel method along with top talent wire fu could be an amazing experience. The director though doesn’t seem to come from a wire fu background so no doubt he’ll be bringing people in to help with that part.

However, I wish Disney threw all their money at Stephen Chow and got him to do this.

The Dark Knight?

No billing for any of the snapped characters, but Larson gets in above Gillan and Renner above Cheadle.

Favreau in the extended billing is a surprise.

Downey Jr.
Evans
Ruffalo
Hemsworth
Johansson
Renner
Cheadle
Rudd
Larson
Gillan
Gurira
Wong
Favreau
Cooper as Rocket
with Palthrow
with Brolin as Thanos

I hope half the film is just the Avengers who are left narrating their own history/flashbacks from other films. :wink:

Gotta keep things accessible for people who haven’t seen the prior movies.

Wow… “The experience is consummated” is my new catchphrase.

I don’t mean to be an ass, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you misspell this word just like this on numerous occasions.

It’s Ragnarok.

You mean I’ve been calling it Ragar Anok wrong all this time??

My version is cooler. Sounds like a Cardassian rock concert.