millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Not even, I think it was Hallmark… :smile: ****

I want to rewatch LOTR but I’m kinda scared it’s gonna look like crap… I keep forgetting it’s been almost 20 (!) years… =(

Also, re: the discussion… I don’t know about every single franchise today, but superheros are sort of a modern mythology… I guess that’s why the whole idea of the “New Gods” was so appealing to a lot of creators.

So, I don’t know if Harry Potter or Transformers or GoT will be relevant in the future, but superheros (at least some) have a better chance of it. I mean, Zeus, Hercules & co. are still well known, at least in broad strokes, today… So why would Superman & Batman be any different in the end?

**** Nope, nevermind, it was indeed the Scifi channel… oh and btw, the second season was actually pretty decent (1st one was REALLY rough) and it was the first time I ever saw James McAvoy and his Leto is still what I remember most about it (and probably the best thing of the whole series).

I tried giving the Disney movies another go recently on a long flight day and I just think they are terrible. I would say the prequels, which are also terrible, are better.

All 7 of those films have pretty good bits though, I just don’t enjoy them as a whole. I don’t know if there is a right or wrong way to Star Wars but the prequels probably come closer to my loose, undefined definition of that.

As a non-SW fan, my most honest opinion is that, in terms of plot, yes the prequels are better (the new ones are basically a rehash).

But in terms of basically everything else, no they’re not, in fact they’re pretty fuckin bad. Bad acting, bad editing (attrocious even), bad VFX (though to be fair it was good at the time), bad directing in general, bad dialogue… etc. At least the new ones are really well made in terms of overall production. So I guess the idea was good, but the execution wasn’t… at all.

The LOTR case is an interesting one. I just don’t think there are enough Tolkien books to sustain its popularity in the shadow of Harry Potter (and to a lesser extent Warcraft) for many more generations. And the books are so good that you’re almost weakening the brand by doing anything with it. What could hurt Tolkien is the declining number of people who read books.

In my house everyone loves Potter except for the old man who prefers Tolkien. The lack of women is another thing that hurts it long term.

I know those mediocre Hobbit movies made a mint but I don’t know how deep the well of established material goes.

Yea, How would you like to be a media source(newspapers, blogs, tv, video) who pisses off Disney and no longer has access to any of their releases or info. It’s gone on forever and will keep going on.

Now that you mention it, Conan’s story would be a good fit for an HBO series following the finale of Game of Thrones. His story arc somewhat parallels that of Jon Snow, from his birth on the battlefield to his stints as a thief, a pirate, a mercenary soldier-for-hire, and eventually the usurper King of the kingdom of Aquilonia, could progress over a number of seasons. He had a great but tragic love interest (Belit), a dangerous nemesis (Thulsa Doom), and a colorful series of companions throughout his illustrious “career”, which took him to various exotic locales where he faced sorcerers, demons and creatures, and evil-hearted men and women.

And all with the minimum amount of clothes.

Very HBO.

I’d be all about that but I’m not sure there is a wider interest for more Conan.

There’s at least as much as there was for Game of Thrones before HBO made the series.

This is a really good idea. I’d be waaaay more interested in this than any of the GoT spinoffs… I never thought about it but Conan is PERFECT for a TV show… good call. Now I’m kinda surprised there hasn’t been a Conan show… :smile:

I’m not sure about interest, but I think Conan still has a lot of name-recognition, which is maybe not half, but at least a good chunk of the battle… And since a proper Conan would be more R than PG, it hits the audience that definetly knows who Conan is.

As for interest… eh, market it like the next GoT (as in violence and boobs) and that’s that.

Also, I’m probably the only one, but I’d love to see a live-action Thundarr movie or show… Conan but in a postapocaliptic world… with light sabers… win/win =P

HBO will announce a Gor TV series soon, based on their current trajectory.

Not just that, Disney own big chunks of media too. Their cross promotion infrastructure is immense.

Yes. We’re still talking about Shakespeare, Dickens, Austin, Wilde, Twain and so on. We still have stories about Dracula and Frankenstein. We’re still interested in Zeus and Neptune, recreating them in new brands but essentially the same imagery. We’re hard coded for stories about super powered creatures and fantasy worlds. For all of human history.

I think most of the big franchises will survive, by reinventing themselves in some form or another. The Lord of the Rings is maybe in danger because the movies can’t be improved upon, but that fantasy world is here to stay in some incarnation. DC and Marvel are ubiquitous - Batman is maybe the best fictional character of all time, certainly he’s had more stories written about him and had more versions of him so he’s eternal. Plus the big corporations won’t let brands die any more. Like Coca Cola or the Big Mac, once something crosses a certain threshold it’ll be here for good, even if it has to adapt tot he time to survive. Star Wars will reinvent itself. Stephen King will be performed on stage 500 years from now. I think Star Trek is maybe the biggest franchise that could be seeing it’s demise coming up.

True, but do you think that maybe we still talk about all of them as much as we do because people can remake and re-imagine those stories and characters without having to pay for the rights? It’s an honest question. How much do the survival of these stories and characters depend on creative types having free access to consistently re-imagine them?

There were two Conan tv shows:

I vaguely remember those but don’t think I ever watched either. The animated one bring so many questions to my mind. Does Conan’s sword magically reveal the serpent men’s true self? Why is his female companion wearing blue jeans and Uggs?

Brazil Comic-Con Poster

That’s class. They’ve managed to make McAvoy actually look like Xavier.

Oooo. Kirby Crackle.

Sir Chris Fraying is sure that it was the stage adaptions of Frankenstein that placed it in the public consciousness, and which lead to them becoming ubiquitous in pop culture.

On New Year’s Day 1818, Mary Shelley’s novel Frankenstein was first published in an anonymous three-volume edition of 500 copies. She was eighteen years old when she had the original idea, nineteen when she expanded it into a novel and twenty when it came out.

–SNIP–

But, at a time when the concept of intellectual property had yet to be invented, it was the many unauthorised and stripped-down theatrical adaptations rather than the novel itself which launched the F- word into the cultural bloodstream: by 1826, at least fifteen English and French versions or burlesques had opened.

He believes the the same is true of Dracula and Jekyll & Hyde.