millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Finally official, but just this one for now:

Disney+ is also assembling a live-action series centered around a fan-favorite character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iger today confirmed that Marvel Studios is developing a series based on Loki, the god of mischief, to star Tom Hiddleston.

I love Hiddleston on Loki, but I don’t know if he’ll work as a protagonist. He’s not trustworthy in the slightest. I’d also rather he stay dead.

I think Loki already has love-to-hate antihero status among MCU fans. I think he’ll be very watchable.

It’ll be interesting to find out when this is set - flashback or current continuity.

But…Loki died.

So did Spider-Man, and he’s shooting his next movie. :slight_smile:

He got better.

Far Away From Home… In Heaven.

Spoilers?

Seriously if dead doesn’t mean dead in the movies this could spill over into the comics!

It’s going to be interesting to see how A4 / IW2 plays out with the mainstream audience who aren’t used to deaths being undone.

Mainstream audiences have seen Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger return from the dead time and time again.

And it’s resoundingly mocked

I think it depends. Even my kids figured out the next episode will be how to undo it and they are 7 and 9. Older ones should surely figure out they aren’t going to kill Spider-Man.

The danger as it has always been in the comics is overdoing it. Every death is undone, including tiny supporting characters, so none of it has any resonance any more.

I don’t think anyone is under the delusion that any of those deaths will stick…

The only question is how they’re gonna put things back together.

I work with a guy that doesn’t read comics or anything. And I was surprised that after Infinity War came out, he was talking about how there’s gong to have to be a new Black Panther and a new team for the next Guardians film.

I imagine that your casual audience that don’t bother with what movies are going to be coming out two years from now. Will probably be a bit taken aback when everyone comes back.

But there’s already been plenty of news in regard to the next Spiderman and GotG and whatnot… that’s more than enough hint for a general audience…

It’s not just that it’s a knowledge of basic story structure. My 7 year old gave Infinity War his 9 out of 10 review, he gives almost every film 10, saying it didn’t end properly. He knows the villain can’t win at that early age so most should be able to figure it out.

The hints in the actual narrative aren’t that subtle either, with Doctor Strange saying he’s seen the one in 14m chance and then he gives the gem to Thanos to save Tony and Peter despite them making very sure in a piece of previous dialogue that he wouldn’t under any circumstances.

Back to the main point though the Loki one is more difficult because he isn’t one of the ‘ash’ victims but was strangled to death. He has his own kind of get out clause though that works with the character due to his illusion powers, which is how he got away with it the last time he died. :smile:

Loki was actually the death I thought might last. I figured it’d be a click reverse, not a much bigger time jump, but then Gamira has to return too I suppose.

I think they have to leave one of them dead just for credibility, maybe Vision stays croaked and possibly one of the big guns falls in the final battle. Gamora kind of has to come back, not only because we kind of know the gem story but she’s the one that grounds the Guardians as a group, the rest are all fruit loops so the dynamic needs one sensible one in there.

I thought it was really dumb to kill her off when they did. I’d have preferred he kill Nebula, her realizing he really loved her just before he murders her. And kept her dead so it’d have some meaning. The trouble with everything was undone stories is that it weakens future viewings as you lose your investment in the story. Movies and TV aren’t comics. Most shows that reverse deaths kind of go off the rails. Visual media needs to be much tigher compared to the long leash comics gets.

I’m fine with it as long as its the end.
The fact that this isn’t really the end…that’s the worrisome bit.