millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Who is the Skrull with Piccolo?

If we’re not allowed to objectify Jude Law I’m done with this snowflakery!!

With this, Gemini Man, and The Irishman, 2019’s a big year for unnecessary de-aging in movies.

And the new Terminator movie.

It feels like it’s the current thing to do if you want to show off how good your effects are. I blame Terminator Genisys and Civil War.

But they aren’t de-aging Sam Jackson to look like Sam Jackson of the 90s, they’re de-aging the character Nick Fury. That’s how Marvel is saying Fury looked back in the 90s. So yeah, good old silly click bait.

90’s Fury looks an awful lot like Augustus Gibbons.

I would expect 90s Nick Fury to look a lot like Jules Winnfield.

Maybe when Jules went off to walk the Earth like Kane from Kung Fu, he wandered into S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters.

Of course that would screw up my 1960s set Fantastic Four movie that has a guest appearance by Director Peggy Carter and Nicholas, her fifteen year-old protégée.

But it would make his epitaph in The Winter Soldier more than just meta-commentary.

I demand a Tron Legacy special edition.

You’ll probably get one eventually. They cost money to make (remake?) but they’re a good way to repackage a film.

I think the trend to big battle scenes at the end of films is just that; a trend.

Occasionally you’ll find interviews where they’ll talk about the dilemma on how to end the bigger blockbusters. How much does the audience want to see spectacle and how important is the protagonist vs antagonist in the middle of all that?

Can you end a globetrotting, action adventure story with the fate of the world at stake, with just two characters punching the crap out of each other? Or do you need a hoard of combatants on a huge battlefield?

Different movies come to different conclusions.

I remember people being all irritated about the quiet conclusion to Zemo/T’Challa in Civil War but I thought it was the best part of that movie.

I liked that, too.

Didn’t like the overall Zemo plot though, that was crap.

But the ending with T’Challa was definitely good.

Would you ever do another X-Men film?
If there was a way that it made sense for my character to be in the world, of course. I feel like that’s my film family, because I’ve been making those movies since I was 16. But there’s been so many spinoffs and reboots and TV shows, so I’m not sure where Rogue or the other original characters fit into the current plotlines, so it’s probably not going to happen.

Interestingly the season is only 10 episodes this time.

I’m completely unfamiliar with Captain Marvel or Skrulls, am I going to be lost with this new movie?

Doubt it, I mean that can be covered as quick as a couple of lines:

Fury: What the mother fucking hell is that?
Marvel: Shape-shifting aliens that I kick the crap out of.

There job done, only unlikely element is the cursing.