millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Honestly I think the superhero movies that skew more out-and-out comedic (like Ragnarok, Deadpool etc.) work a lot better with a big audience than they do without one, and so how you watch them makes a big difference.

I saw the first Deadpool at a packed opening-weekend screening and it went down fantastically well (with me and others), but watching it again on Blu-Ray there were a lot more clunkers and bits that didn’t work nearly so well without that audience energy and laughter.

I didn’t see Ragnarok until relatively late in its theatrical run, in a largely empty cinema, and while I found a lot of it reasonably funny I didn’t find myself laughing much, and didn’t come out of it feeling like I’d watched a hilarious movie (unlike a lot of other people, who did).

I guess it’s a fairly obvious observation, but without that live feedback and shared-experience aspect, the superhero movies that lean heavily on comedy don’t work so well.

By all that is right, he should be the body in the costume and Doug Smith should do his voice!

I think that the MCU movies are really bolstered by the audience reaction. Seeing Avengers in the cinema was obviously a huge release after four years of build-up, but it’s never been better than on the big screen.
Maybe it’s part of why Black Panther fell flat for me? It was just me and my friend in the screening and we sure weren’t laughing at most of the jokes.

Marvel movies are brst appreciated in a theater, in my [informed] opinion.

Spectacle is just better on a huge screen, with quality sound, and an invested audience. My first viewing of Avengers was at midnight with a great audience in a huge theater. The funny moments were funnier because the audience was roaring. The epic moments were more epic because everyone had the same gigantic grins plastered across their faces. Infinity War was similar…7 PM Thursday screening. People were gasping laughing yelling at the screen. The kids in the theater were having genuine emotional reactions to what was happening onscreen (a young black guy, maybe 12 or thirteen, shouted at the scteen “no, I just got him” when Black Panther turned to dust. He walked out of the theater looking grief-stricken.)

Certain movies are more than just movies when seen on the big screen. They’re group experiences. Comedies work best like this, too, I think. Laughing at a pratfall or whatever with 300 other people is more fun than laughing by yourself.

I was so disappointed I didn’t get to see IW in a full cinema as I was away the week it came out. But even a week later at a small screening someone shouted, “Fuck you,” at Thanos when he stabbed Tony.

At my screening someone shouted “fuck you” at Chris Evans when he first appeared.

OK, it was me.

You can’t take John Cena anywhere.

To be fair… it was Meryl Streep.

In reality the woman behind me who was there by herself, whispered to herself every time someone came on screen, “that’s Spider-Man”…“that’s Black Panther”…“that’s Vision” and so on. Plus she had a massive popcorn and ate the entire time. Who the heck eats popcorn for three hours straight?

Hey, it isn’t fault he has to buy his own ticket now he’s lost that sweet, sweet Top Gear status.

Did you happen to see Misery?

When we went to see “A Quiet Place” a couple months ago, the extended silences on the screen amplified the chewing sounds of the cow behind us. At least I think it was a cow; a human wouldn’t chew that loudly, would they?

They would if they could. Who wants to be beaten at anything by a cow?

I would expect to see him on tv before a movie.

Potential spoilers in the video! Watch at your own risk!

Why would they assume time travel and not flashbacks?