Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Let’s take The Scarlet Letter. Plot is “What happens to a town in the 1680’s when a woman becomes pregnant outside wedlock?” After that, I think of it as events that propel the plot forward. There may or may not be a resolution, much fiction is written to ask a question and let the audience think about it. One thing many writers and teachers have said is that “good writing advances the plot”. So, if we have some characters acting quite oddly and out of sorts, not able to say something straight out (or the damned phone rings, or someone interrupts, or the monster comes back) I tend to see that as bad writing.

(The phone thing really gets me. That or just letting the phone ring. It’s something that makes me walk out or change channels.)

Äh, okay, that’s fair enough. I still think the situation is different because there is more reason to assume that

Cap 1 works best for me when I view it as Marvel’s “Indiana Jones”.

It used to be a thing people said that the third movie in a superhero franchise was always the tricky one, but we’ve had three trilogies by Marvel now that are alright. We’ve had three Captain America movies, three Thor movies and three Iron Man movies.

I wonder which of the trilogies people like best? For me it’s Captain America though mostly for Winter Soldier.

Another indicator might be how soon after home video is released that the price drops. Just saw Alien:Covenant on sale for $8.99 - and that’s still while HBO is running it as a “new” film. Meanwhile Winter Soldier holds at $18.99, and it’s much older.

My take on that would be that people were used to trilogies, so while the first one has to do all the world-building work, the second gets to develop things further and then it’s all riding on the third one to wrap it all up.

Marvel have departed from that model:So they can do Iron Man 3 and say Tony Stark will be back in Avengers 2. They do Cap 3 and don’t even have to say when he’ll pop back up because the audience know the trick by now. At the end of the Thor Ragnarok credits it says Thor will return in Infinity War. Because not everything has to be wrapped up in Marvel’s third films, it takes the weight off and likely does make it a bit easier.

That said I don’t think Marvel have got due credit for putting out 18 good films over the course of a decade - there’s nothing easy about that, they’ve just made it appear so.

That’s a tough one…
I liked Iron Man 3 the best out of any of them, but IM 2 is pretty low for me. IM 1 is always rewatchable. Same for Thor 3.
Cap is weird because TFA is alright but 2 absolutely takes the cake, and 3 is fun, but not necessarily something I’m dying to see again.

If I’m ranking them based on trilogies alone, not including what they mean to the larger MCU, I’d have to say the Iron man trilogy tells the most complete story.

Should have listened to Miller.

I’ve had Deadpool 2 marked down as a potential underperformer for a while, really since Tim Miller bailed on the sequel. A little of that character goes a long way, they kind of caught lightning in a bottle with the first film, and I think some people are a little embarrassed they liked it at this point. There is also probably a reason Hollywood has been trying to make Ryan Reynolds happen for two decades and nothing really took until that film—maybe that element rears its head again.

Also, as good as James Brolin looked as Cable, that first trailer was pretty awful.

You mean Josh Brolin.

I still say that Kyle Chandler would have been perfect.

Rumor mill says that Miller wanted to focus more on action and a more tempered tone, but Reynolds wanted to double down on jokes.

I think Deadpool will be fine. No one saw the first one coming and it was loved far outside the comic fans base. It should do close to holding steady, even with bad reviews. Comic fans aside, most people are going to switch their brain off for 2 hours with this movie.

That’s the Thanos actor.

I think you mean the brother from Goonies.

Samwise Gamgee is in Deadpool?

And most of the comics fans will likely be ready to do the same thing after the super serious stylings of Infinity War.

Is it still a two part story? I thought they had dropped that gimmick beyond just changing the name of Avengers 4. My suspicion was that the future plans changed when those in the know got to know about the Fox deal (and contractual negotiations with RDJ).

In any case, Infinity War is one that most will be sure to see as soon as possible. A large second week drop off is therefore inevitable but not necessarily a bad sign. It will clear a billion, a billion and a half if it is good enough for big repeat business, but only gets to two billion if it is genuinely great. And Thanos does not look genuinely great.

That’s usually my assumption about these things. But I was talking to someone yesterday who’s the least geekiest person I could imagine, and she was telling me how she’s planning to watch the whole Marvel story in order, because she’s figured out a chronological order, including the TV shows and the DVD bonus features.

Marvel movies seem to work for everybody.