millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

I think this was the biggest problem.

Though he doesn’t discuss it here, we wouldn’t be surprised if Eccleston also wasn’t best pleased about how much of his role in the film was removed during editing. Before The Dark World‘s release, the actor spoke of how he liked exploring Malekith’s damaged psyche and his warped reasoning for wanting to destroy the universe. In the finished piece, however, virtually none of his motivations remained, leaving the villain as a very cardboard character.

I actually thought the character was one of the most interesting villains whose potential wasn’t even touched. Essentially, he was similar to Darkseid in that his actual motivation was a twisted way to end suffering. Darkseid wants the Anti-Life equation because he sees that free will only leads to terrible, destructive decisions, so it would be far better for the universe to have just one will ruling everything… his own. Perfect order.

Malekith had a similar plan. If nothing existed, no one would suffer. Existence is inherently bad, meaningless and no one survives it.

You would identify with the nihilists, Johnny. :wink:

I think we all here know you’re being much too modest there. You deserve it rightly!

This is speculation, though. It’s still possible for an actor to enjoy a character’s backstory without any of said story ending up on screen.

I agree it’s likely, but still, the only thing he’s gone on record about is makeup, which I honestly just don’t have much sympathy with. And I love Eccleston! He’s my favorite doctor, and I loved him on the Leftovers!

I think he’s great and have been a fan since he was in Cracker but he is a gurny bastard about nearly every role he’s ever done. I don’t think he went put to ever bash anything, he’s just one of those people who focuses more on negitives and then people make more of a big deal than he intended and just feels the need to be being bluntly candid in interviews.

James Gunn posted the GotG2 script online (PDF link): http://waltdisneystudiosawards.com/media/scripts/GotG2.pdf

One of my favorite parts of SpiderMan: Homecoming is when Parker meets Toomes when he least expects it, and the ensuing conversation in the car. It really shows how PP is just a kid, and while he may think he’s a bad ass hero/almost Avenger, when confronted with his nemesis in a situation he can’t control, he just completely SHUTS DOWN and can’t even string together 2 words. If it was Cap, Thor, or anyone else there would have been a fight right there and then. It was something I liked from Bendis’ USM series, with Parker being paralyzed by fear and anxiety around Kingpin.

You aren’t alone it your love of that. I think everyone I heard or spoke to said it was a standout scene and totally unexpected.

I’m such a big fan of how well the script is written as I continuously say, one of my reasons is how I noticed on my second viewing one of my biggest takeaways from that scene is that he leaves his phone to track Toomes, knowing that when he’s wearing the suit he’ll have the courage to do something. The director doesn’t make it obvious, either, which is fantastic but it just adds another subtle brick in showing us just how much PP relies on the costume (in any form) to give him the courage he needs, setting up him realizing that he’s the capable hero, not the suit.

It’s a small thing but just adds to how good that whole sequence is in particular.

It’s such a good first time Superhero story and the fact it isn’t an origin story makes it even better.

It has to be said though that he mainly mentions it because he feels he didn’t turn in his best performance, and that doing that was hard when you’ve sat for makeup for eight hours. I think he’s critical of himself more than anything there.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/marvels-runways-josh-schwartz-stephanie-savage-interview/

‘Captain Marvel’: Jude Law Lands Male Lead Opposite Brie Larson

Jude Law is in negotiations to play the male lead opposite Brie Larson in Marvel’s “Captain Marvel,” sources tell Variety.

Ben Mendelsohn is on board to play the villain with “Half Nelson” helmers Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck directing. Kevin Feige is producing.

Marvel had no comment.

Geneva Robertson-Dworet wrote the most recent script with “Inside Out” scribe Meg LeFauve and Nicole Perlman penning previous drafts, which follows Carol Danvers, an Air Force pilot whose DNA is fused with that of an alien during an accident. The resulting alteration imbues her with the superpowers of strength, energy projection, and flight.

Law will be playing Doctor Walter Lawson, a.k.a. Mar-Vell, who becomes a mentor of sorts to Danvers as she tries to figure out her new powers.

At this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, Feige announced that the superhero film will be set in the ’90s, before the Avengers ever thought of assembling, and Samuel L. Jackson is expected to reprise his role as Nick Fury.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jude-law-captain-marvel-brie-larson-1202621673/

Figured this listicle was somewhat apropos, given the discussion going on in the DC Cinematic Universe thread:

Loki above Peggy Carter? Stupid list.

And Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster doesn’t even make the list.

Is Sebastian Stan in Cap 1 at the top of the list?
It should be.

Big article and some great pictures.