millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Movies & TV 2019

Hold up.

There’s a movie where Slattery is the main character? WHAT?

4 Likes

Is that the whole movie? One of those “more clip than actual short movie” type things? I don’t want to click it if it’s a trailer or anything.

As I said; it’s a short film. When Marvel did their “One Shots”.

They made 5 in total.

2 Likes

Fuck, I think I’ve missed all of these!

Big thanks for the tip, Steve! I’ll check these out… ehm… NOW! :smiley:

3 Likes

I thought Millar’s suggestion was that they not use Mandarin in the first film but build toward him in the third film. I think the build toward Avengers hijacked that.

Could be, but I’m referencing this Millar interview on CBR;

Faverau didn’t get us out there to just high-five the guy. He wanted us to be brutal and honest and I have to say I almost crossed the line when I talked 'em out of The Mandarin, who was in the original draft, and there was a terrible silence in the room for about ten seconds until Fav agreed and we all got talking about beefing up the Obadiah Stane/ Iron Monger thing (originally planned for the sequel).

https://www.cbr.com/264974-2/

That doesn’t mention the racist overtones of the character though. I believe I’ve read that as a reason, but since I can’t find it right now, take that with a pinch of salt.

4 Likes

Here’s a couple references to pushing him to the sequel. It’s #5 in the list on the first link.

4 Likes

I guess throwing the Mandarin character into the meat grinder and making it a ridiculous concept satisfied somebody. It sure was a whole lot easier than actually engaging modern China and what a Mandarin might be arising in that society, and how said Mandarin might even be able to function.

TEN rings. There were ten rings. I SEE TEN RINGS!

4 Likes

Math is different in the UK.

2 Likes

It was before Disney brought them, they could only afford seven rings back then.

5 Likes

And, of course, there is the original source: Nine rings for mortal men doomed to die

The tenth? Dude’s married. If he didn’t wear his ring, the wife would kill him.

1 Like

Double twist… Trevor Slatery WAS the Mandarin all along… he just got caught with his pants down and played along… :smile:

5 Likes

I also haven’t seen All Hail the King yet. Good to finally have the chance (last time I looked for it online, I didn’t find it).

The guy who made this short, Drew Pearce, also co-wrote Iron Man 3 and went on to make Hotel Artemis, by the way.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m super curious if anyone is actually going to see Dark Phoenix.
Let’s have a little poll to see what the board thinks

• Yes I will be going to the cinema to watch Dark Phoenix
  • I’ll wait for DVD/Cable/streaming
  • No thanks

0 voters

3 Likes

I don’t like being disappointed walking out of the cinema and too many past X-Men movies have proved I probably will be.

I realise this says more about me than the movies but it’s difficult to find the time to get to the cinema for me these days.

3 Likes

I probably will go and see it at the cinema. The kids tend to ask me to see any superhero ones after they’ve seen the trailer on TV.

4 Likes

I only tend to go if someone else wants to and don’t really bother once it hits DVD/streaming.

2 Likes

I’m amazed how super ambivalent I am about Dark Phoenix. I look at the trailer and I don’t see anything new or original.
It just gives me horrible flash backs to X-3.
Apocalypse was such a let down for me I doubt I’ll even try to chase it down once its streaming.

3 Likes