millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

I would say those are my favorite Bendis books, too.

I think Ultimate Spider-Man will be his magnum opus. It would be great if DC could give a character and let him run with it like he did with USM. No pressure to tie into events or crossovers. Just give him the freedom to tell stories. He may not be able to catch lightning in a bottle again like that but I hope he gets the opportunity to try.

Bendis on Batwoman. That’s something I’d like to see!

I’ve been a pretty big fan of Soule, so I’ve been reading his Daredevil when I’ve had the chance. It doesn’t disappoint. I think part of what rubs people wrong about him these days is that he was heavily involved in Inhumans business, and fans hated the idea of Marvel attempting to replace (or whatever) the X-Men with them. So they transferred some of that angst onto Soule, who when he was finishing up at DC before going Marvel full-time looked like he was going to be the company’s new ace. And yet, clearly, he still hasn’t been given that spot.

When Cebulski takes charge (his Twitter said he was flying back to New York yesterday) I hope he allows Charles Soule and Al Ewing more leeway to just tell their stories without constant changes of direction and relaunches.

Daredevil has probably allowed some of that as as far as I have followed it, it hasn’t been sucked into that kind of thing.

There’s a strange story bubbling up about Cebulski and I wonder if it’s going to derail his tenure as EiC before it even gets going.

Gregg Schigiel, a former Marvel assistant editor, released an episode of his regular podcast a few months ago, telling a story (with all the names changed to West Wing characters) that implied Cebulski (named as “CJ Cregg” here) worked under the pen-name Akira Yoshida in the early-to-mid 00s, doing Marvel’s limp attempts at winning over the manga audience. While the pen name itself isn’t the problem (well, it is for some people, but let’s gloss over that), it was apparently used to circumvent the rule at the time that Marvel editorial staff couldn’t also do freelance work for the company. What makes it worse is that “CJ” was passing Yoshida off as a real person to, not only the readership and press, but the company - save for a few others in editorial that were aware of it - working and communicating exclusively through email. Worth listening to podcast for the full story and implications there of.

Shigiel also alleges that Cebulski the pseudonymous individual feeds private info about creators directly to Ike Perlmutter for contract negotiation leverage, which would maybe explain how someone could get appointed as EiC while not working as an editor for the company.

Interesting, I did a bit of Googling and it comes up with a couple of stories where people swear they have met him. There’s a CBR story that interviews him and said he went to conventions and this Urban Legends piece. You’d also have to assume they’d have to make payment with a cheque in that name or to an account.

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Akira Yoshida is a pseudonym.

Whenever a new creator comes out of seemingly nowhere, people are bound to be curious about them, especially when, in the case of writer Akira Yoshida, the new writer gets such “plum” assignment as the X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover and the 10th Anniversary of the Age of Apocalypse. Inquiring minds begin to come up with their OWN theories as to why such a new writer that noone knows much about got the assignment - he was NOT a new writer, but rather an older writer, using a pseudonym, perhaps to sound more exotic.

When I heard this one, I thought it would be easy enough to check out. However, when I found out that some of the editors that he had worked with had never spoken with Akira, I will admit, the absurd suddenly did not seem SO absurd.

Luckily, the other day, editor Mike Marts was able to allay any suspicions. Says Marts,
You bet–I’ve had lunch with the guy–very nice guy. He’s a very cool guy. When we had lunch he showed me pictures of his immense Godzilla memorabilia
collection–I was jealous!
Well, there’s ONE conspiracy theory down the drains!!!

Now if that is true you can take the conspiracy further. I believe his wife is Japanese from his tweets, could the real life Akira Yoshida have been a relative set up as the face of the writer? :smile:

(Either way it doesn’t really sound that serious to me if it is true, it’s circumventing a temporary internal rule rather than a great ethical shock).

Al ewing especially I think should be THE guy at Marvel. It’s shocking to me that he hasn’t been given a better position there.

There’s a lesson here for creators; coming into the company as a kind of hired hand has its advantages, but coming into the company as someone with an established audience and a buzz all their own - as Donny Cates does - allows one a lot more leeway to just tell your stories.

Al Ewing is doing some of the best work at Marvel or DC right now. I’d kill to have him on a Superman or a Green Lantern Corps book.

Akira is also a woman’s name…

Apparently it can be both.

A long list of male Akira’s under there.

Yeah, I’m not entirely convinced it is true, although will point out that Marts is one of the (renamed) people in the podcast story, likely the editor knowingly hiring “Yoshida” and involved in the “Six Gun” thing also mentioned.

As for the implications if it is true, well, it’s more than just circumventing an internal rule (a good one, I think, but that’s neither here nor there). “Yoshida” would have been pitching against outside freelancers for Marvel projects that he wasn’t supposed to be able to work on, with inside knowledge of what the editors in question were after, let alone that one or more of them may have been knowingly hiring their colleague under a fake name against company policy. He specifically mentions having to pitch against other writers for the Age of Apocalypse series, which I imagine is easier to win when you work in the same office at the guy you’re pitching to. It’s not a great look. Plus, if the rest of the company didn’t know Yoshida was a pseudonym, then the cheques were being written to a man who doesn’t exist and supposedly lives in Japan, but cashed in America, which seems slightly dodgy.

Also of note in that interview, “Yoshida’s” past work experience is all conveniently vague (Dreamwave series that never got published, editing for a Japanese manga title that got bought out by a bigger publisher) but lines up with Cebulski’s pre-Marvel work (editing manga in the US), including working with Kia Asamiya, the person who supposedly introduced “Yoshida” to editors at a convention (despite, in the podcast, everyone only ever having claimed to dealt with Yoshida via email and never having met him in person). The span of “Yoshida’s” Marvel writing career perfectly lines up with a gap in Cebulski’s writing bibliography and also the time-frame of the Jemas instigated rule of editorial not doing freelance work. And, frankly, from the quotes he sounds like any other American comics writer.

Yeah it seems like if it was a conspiracy they took it really far, with things like this CBR interview:

There’s a bunch of people named in there that have no connection to Marvel and probably wouldn’t have any incentive to make up an imaginary person for the gain of someone else.

That’s what I meant!

Most importantly…

And…

C.B. can be both too!

If that’s the case then Dark Horse was in on it too:

There doesn’t seem to be any reason Cebulski would write a story for them under a pseudonym.

Again, in the podcast, the Dark Horse editor was contacted and said they only ever dealt with Yoshida via email and that story was done with Asamiya, who has worked with Cebulski before then.

Yoshida is a common Japanese name though.

His name’s Kaneda, not Akira!

This is Akira:

I’m a true N00B ><

I doubt this would ‘sink’ him, even if true.

The perlmutter thing is a bit more damaging, as regards talent relations, but that seems more unlikely given that everyone who has ever interacted with CB has said nothing but great things about him. That sort of stuff tends to come out.