millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Millar and Hitch is my favour FF run of all time

I loved it bar the last couple issues when Hitch was unable to do the art.

I think it’s compeltely underrated.

30 issues yes. 50 feels too long - stories start to tread water. I think you can get an awful lot done in 20-30 issues. Secret Warriors is a good example, or Planetary (though it’s a different thing). The classic iteration of the Guardians was less than 30 issues. And to be honest I don’t think this is an era that’ll be defined by long runs any more.

Which might be part of the problem now that I consider it - maybe what fans really want is 100 issues of the same team spending 8 years to tell an amazing complete story.

In fact, that era of 1985, FF and OML is my favourite MM era of comics

I don’t agree. This era is known for Morrison’s Batman, Snyder’s Batman, Slott’s Spidey, Aaron’s Thor, the Hickman books, Saga, all those Image books. Comics is still a long form medium.

But there’s books like Vision and Hawkeye and All Star Superman and Astonishing X Men and Promethea and so on that made their splash in a handful of issues.

However I already see your point - so maybe the length doesn’t matter if the quality is there.

Edit: What are the great runs that we’re in the middle off right now? Aaron Thor, King Batman maybe? Saga?

Gah I forgot about secret warriors.
Brilliant done and dusted tale.
Shame it just wasn’t left as it’s own thing. Can’t say I’m a fan of how they have used quake since

I tried it a couple of times and it didn’t really do it for me. I think it’s a bit of a marmite run. Maybe its reputation sets a bit of a high expectation.

I agree on the Millar/Hitch run being better than its reputation suggests. I’d buy an omnibus if it ever appeared. It’s a nice overall story that doesn’t outstay its welcome.

I think it depends what you’re doing - something sprawling and wide-ranging like Morrison’s Batman can support a long epic with multiple phases, but I agree that some of the best comics are those tight, no-flab runs that can pack everything into 12-24 issues or so.

The reason I asked this is it feels like editorials rarely let a creator just run with a book for 6-7 years these days. Seems they’re always screwing with things. Or maybe creators don’t want to work on just the same book for years and years. Slott, Aaron and King are the only 3 I can think of that have worked on the same character for years and plan on staying on for more years to come.

G. Willow Wilson on Ms. Marvel, Bendis on Ultimate Spider-Man. I realize both have recently ended or are about to, but those were long runs, too. Johns on Green Lantern, Slott on Spider-Man, both of them going for big event after big event.

No. It’s way too inconsistent.

You’re right. Some of it is great and some of it is merely very, very good.

I think that has been refuted a little bit in recent years. Runs are as long now as they were in the 70s-90s if not longer. Our perception screws things up because we were kids then and time moved slower. Charles Soule’s current Daredevil run is about 25% longer than Frank Miller’s, for example.

What also throws thing off, especially with Marvel, is the constant renumbering. Runs may not seem as long because they have been broken up over different volumes.

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye/ Lost Light

Yeah, I loved it as it came out and even bought the OHCs. But I don’t think it aged well.

Wait weren’t we talking about team books?

The perception thing is there, I’ve mentioned before things like Byrne only ever did 34 issues of X-Men, he was on the Superman books for a year and a half. Decompression is also a part of it and the double shipping. King seems to have only just recently taken over Batman and he’s over halfway through his planned 100 issue run.

There’s stuff like Joshua Williamson is up to issue 57 on Flash, fairly unnoticed. If he stays on the book in about a year’s time Rob Williams will have written Suicide Squad for more issues than Ostrander.

My problem with Marvel though is not so much the creative teams but the perpetual change of direction. It’s been happening to some degree since the end of Secret Invasion and that ‘Dark’ stuff, as soon as the idea gets up and running they radically change it and the cycle continues.

Frank Miller’s run on Daredevil was only 33 issues (158 to 191).

Miller was only on art for those first 10 issues too. 168 was his first as writer.