millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Add in 50 issues of cable:Deadpool
Issue 6 is wolverine origins 21-25
Various x-force appearances

There’s a lot to tap into

You may well be right. I haven’t actually seen Deadpool since the cinema.

You’d have to be a real fan to buy all those Hachette books. A small fortune.

(turns around to look at his shelf full of every Hellboy/BPRD/Abe Sapien/Lobster Johnson/Witchfinder TPB and HC published to date)

I’m actually not a huge Deadpool fan. I liked him more as an X-Force villain.

Stay optimistic. I’m sure there’ll be an 80-volume Shatterstar collection soon :+1:

I’m really more a fan of Shatterstar as a member of X-Force. :wink:

Copied from the Obituaries Thread.

Damn. I hate to hear this.

Gary was one of the first guests my buddy ever had at his small comic con. He opened the door for my buddy to bring in and for me to meet so many great comic creators like Chris Samnee, Brian Hurtt, Cullen Bunn, Matt Kindt, Roy Thomas, Denny O’Neill, Rick Burchett and more. His health was never good and when I met him he was working well past his prime as delivery guy for UPS or FedEx after years of other health related issues. I will always be grateful for those opportunities that he opened for my buddy and by extension me.

Marie Severin too (on the same day I think). Two names you rarely heard in recent years, but they were the creators of some of the earliest comics I ever bought.

Appreciate the writers efforts to distinguish her from wolverine for corporate reasons but bloody hell I can’t resist a hard eye roll as I believe she should still be entitled to the name wolverine as miles morales is spider-man

Fuck CBR and their goddamn pop up ads.

God I miss good comics journalism.
With the exception of Panel x Panel which is more analysis than ”news” the rest have all gone to click bait kak

There’s no money in comics journalism by the looks of things. It’s not a surprise it’s all awful now.

Maybe we could start a thread where all the external comics ‘news’ links could go, and the rest of the board is unaffected.

Might I suggest Heat Vision at The Hollywood Reporter? May be only the “big” stories, but at least journalism.

That’s the crux of it. There’s not much money in online journalism in general which is why there is so much clickbait. I’m sure nobody at CBR thinks that’s the best way to approach it but rather that it’s the only way they’ll get paid.

A big problem is that the internet economy requires new content to go up all day, every day, and there just isn’t that much news about comic books.

I think the comic book news and reviews sites were better served in the era when you updated your website once a day, if that.

Comic book news as a for-profit endeavor has always been a little tricky, too. It’s a very niche audience.

David Uzumeri, a former comics journalist wrote this about it last week:

To understand it, you’ve got to look back to the comics journalism landscape around the late oughts and early ’10s. You had two major news sites — Newsarama and CBR — with a few other smaller sites rolling in its orbit. The entire industry was predicated on access — DC and Marvel’s websites were threadbare at best; if you wanted interviews, solicitations, full issue previews, and the like, you had to go to Newsarama or CBR or, for the truly exclusive stuff, Wizard magazine, where things like the first announcements, previews and interviews relating to the Busiek/Pacheco Superman and Morrison/Kubert Batman ran. It was a corrupt enterprise run by an inveterate grifter named Gareb Shamus, but it had a lot of talented writers who ended up becoming significant parts of the comic book industry, and a truly premium level of access no website could touch, which freed up the online comics community to not sweat about that and instead focus on reviews, criticism, and honest writers honing their craft writing about what they love.

Then Wizard imploded because, well, it was run by inveterate grifters.

Out of the ashes, Newsarama and CBR suddenly began to depend even more on access, and new blogs that came up — like IGN Comics, which had the advantage of the existing IGN brand, or my beloved hometown team of ComicsAlliance — suddenly had that access and those relationships with DC and Marvel. However, many of us had come from the independent blog community — all of us had been writing on personal or smaller group blogs basically for shits and giggles, and suddenly we were getting paychecks and press access and interviews and review copies, because DC and Marvel could no longer depend on Wizard as their informational outlet, and their extant web presences were still in relatively nascent forms.

So when we just kept being ourselves and posting honest, heartfelt criticism and news instead of kowtowing to corporate edicts of appropriateness, access stopped being a benefit and started being a burden, because now that we had it, it was something we could lose . Everybody reacted differently to this. ComicsAlliance, for our part, burned a non-zero amount of bridges, and while I don’t think we were ever unfair or unthoughtful, DC and Marvel simply weren’t used to dealing with 1000-word essays about the racist side effects of their legacy nostalgia, and suddenly that access became a weaponized threat that could explode at any time, blowing up ongoing features, interviews, or any number of things.

Certainly rings true in my experience. I wrote a long post here about it some time ago.