millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Eastenders tends to keep the focus to a small number of chaacters in any given episode though.

Which is how the Legion of Super-Heroes has always worked, and how an Avengers book could easily work.

Not sure if we can describe the Legion as working

So Pete is a creepy pervert?

Is that Teen Titans?

I think it’s some weird future Teen Titans team that isn’t currently being published. :wink:

Commercially, being DCs second-best-selling book for several years speaks for itself.

On reflection, though, you’re all right, it would be a stupid model for Marvel to adopt right now. Expecting people to follow that many characters moving in and out of multiple plotlines would require a regular publishing schedule and more than six issues between reboots, and that’s never going to happen.

This is literally damning with faint praise.

How well does it sell now? :wink:

I just want to know the years it was successful.

On a more serious note I do think it’s a particular skill to write a book with a very large cast. Jonathan Hickman recently did it with his Avengers run and pulled it off, he’s apparently a hug fan of Levitz’ Legion run when he was a kid.

The Transformers books also have a cast pretty much as big.

Many writers do seem to struggle with it and pare the casts back.

About as well as Wolverine at the moment, I believe.

Doesn’t (Logan) Wolverine have 4 books right now, 5 if you include Old Man Logan and much more if you include X-23? :wink:

Does he? Dammit, I thought it was a safe pick because he was still dead :smiley:

He’s not dead anymore. Even when he was, they brought Old Man Logan in from an alternate future.

1974, 1983, 1987.

Yes but Phantom Girl is in The Terrifics so that evens that one out. :smile:

Spanning two decades!

Every issue a lead character needs a moment. That’s only 22 pages, which isn’t enough for a larger cast.

There’s mixing up leading characters and supporting cast going on, it’s important to have that distinct difference in their role - supporting characters offer exposition, advance the plot& serve as story fodder but they don’t often get their own moments.

Alan Moore got stuck into the mechanics of team books a bit in his pitch document for Youngblood. I think he ended up settling on 6 as the ideal number for the reasons already discussed, that you need to give everyone their moments and significant subplots, and more members than that overwhelms the book’s ability to still tell decent stories while effectively servicing the cast.