millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

To be fair to Bobby, if you exclude the more unusual edge cases (such as Dear Billy) there are more overt similarities between his stories - the band of brothers, the wizened veteran, the naive or innocent whose eyes are opened to the cruelties of war, the honourable yet still capable antagonists, the even worse powers that be, etc.

I do think those are all stereotypical traits of the genre, however, rather than an Ennis affectation. But, as the only real proponent of the genre in comic form, those are perhaps more noticeable than they would be otherwise.

That is a fair point. There are just tropes of war stories and he’s the only one writing them in any major way.

It’s hard to get away from ‘band of brothers’ for example as it’s a repeat element that’s always to the fore when you hear from real veterans, even those that didn’t take part in active combat. It’s a core part of the role that you have to trust and maybe die for your colleague in a way most civilian roles don’t have outside of emergency services.

As you allude to. There’s some elements that become quite regular components of war strips, but this due to the nature of war comics in general and not specific to Ennis.

I grew up reading Victor, Batlle and Commandos, I pretty much learned to read with them and obviously it was a popular genre in the UK comics scene (which was booming in he 70s and early 80s). So it’s a genre that I am fond of. Like you say, Ennis is the only guy really writing them any more, and having written probably close to 80-100 war strips by now if we count the arcs in Battlefields and War stories, I’m sure there are some similarities to found - just as there are with Jason Aaron’s superhero work or Ed Brubaker’s crime stories.

I’m sure if one wanted to be off hand enough, a straw man argument could be made for the superhero genre, crime genre, fanstasy genre and horror genre etc

I think the comment that once you have ‘read one Ennis war story you have read them all’ is needlessly reductive, bordering on dismissive towards a writer who is is absolutely meticulous in his research and brings so much to the comics industry by standing his ground and doing it his way. There’s no many writers out there who are in a position to do that.

Can you give me the short version? I simply refuse to click through to that toxic clickbaity site.

He was going to eventually reach a low point and quit, then come back and save the day becoming a hero again.

I asked Shooter about it and he explained that this comment he made a number of years ago accurately reflects what he would have done with Hank, “My plan was to bring all birds to roost, to have him break down, lose his beloved wife, fail catastrophically, end up in prison….hit bottom. Then come back, become a great hero and save the world. The ultimate fall from grace and redemption. The very stuff of heroes.”

So, in other words, not retire as a superhero. It would be interesting to see if that would have affected how people have treated the character in the years since.

That’s not a huge surprise. While he looked happy in the recent photo of him and Rob Liefeld he also looked pretty frail.

Stan hasn’t looked happy with signings for a decade. I bet he hates diminishing abilities - 'cause I sure do, and I’m still only two-thirds his age!

He’s 95, if he doesn’t feel up to sitting at a table meeting and greeting and signing for several hours then he shouldn’t have to. I’ve heard enough creators in their 30s and 40s complain it’s tiring. :smile:

Even though we see people in remarkable mental and physical shape in their 90s time always takes its toll. Just as the Queen is increasingly handing over duties to her son, albeit she’s at the much younger age of 92.

Interesting side note. My brother swears black and blue that he saw Stan Lee at long beach on the weekend.
I don’t think it’s him.

EDIT: Main reason Nic thinks it’s him is that another guy clearly in the comic book fan mold was sitting at the adjacent table grinning from ear to ear and looking at him with a “can you believe its actually him?!” look.

Thoughts??

Looks pretty damned close.

He’s even doing cameos in his spare time!

Yeah, Mcfarlane has talked about this a few times before. :slight_smile:

Interestingly, although it’s quite a distinctive way of drawing the webbing, you can see elements of it in previous artists as far back as Ditko. Stuff like this:

I think the influence of Ditko’s Spidey on McFarlane is under-appreciated in general, especially when it comes to some of the weird poses.

While the movie version has its problems with the firing of its director, the comics version of the GotG is in much worse shape. After reading Infinty Wars #1 BIG SPOILERS , the GotG are no more. Drax and Gamora are already gone at the beginning of the issue and by the end Peter is gone too. Gamora is now Requiem and has killed both Thanos and Starlord. She seems determined to reemphasize that she is indeed the “DEADLIEST” woman in the Galaxy. The upcoming Asgardians of the Galaxy book makes more more sense now that GotG has completely disintegrated.

Not really. It was a quasi-bombshell.