millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Yeah I’m a really late convert to Twitter, I hated the look of it for pretty much until it came out until this year. Then I got on it because I had to for work purposes, and realised Twitter is really what you want it to be; just start following people you like and see what they have to say. They’ll retweet people who you might like, if so then start following them. I started by just following Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie, and just followed the chain of folks they retweeted or replied to. The little corner of Twitter I’ve carved out for myself now is actually a very pleasant and jovial breath of fresh air.

I must recommend Mark Hamill if you do join the platform; the man’s just great at Twitter, such a nice and positive guy all of the time.

Should have stuck with Eradikus.

Naturally.

Christopher Priest on Spider-Man sounds incredible! Let’s check out the plot…

WTF is this? When did Spider-Man become as impenetrable to read as the X-Men?

Welcome to the last 10 years of Dan Slott.

Yeah, his run has generally been great, but he’s made things rather convoluted, and I have to say the occasional arc has been very boring; it’s all a bit uneven.

Also (and I really do mostly love it), occasionally I think his characterization of Peter is off — Spidey gets really angry and yell-y in ways I don’t recall seeing from other writers, and it doesn’t sit well. I think Spencer may help fix that and broadly introduce more levity.

I may be alone in this, but I miss the Brand New Day rotating creator era of Spidey. The quality was uneven at times (Slott, Wells, and Waid were very good, Guggenheim was alright, and Gale was iffy at best) but the art was phenomenal, the stories were generally pretty self-contained, we got a decent amount of new villains mixed with classics, and there were just a ton of fun Spider-Man comics in a short period of time.

My feelings are the same on this.

Initial interest quickly tapered off when I read what it was about.

Sounds like a mess.

Not sure that Dan Slott can be blamed for that.

Hopefully, if anyone can make that work, it’s Priest.

The group is assembled for what Kaine believes to be a 3-issue suicide mission.

Cool, they’re clearly going for some kind of Grant Morrison meta narrative angle here.

“Ok, team, we’re going on a suicide mission that’s going to last three issues.”

“Uh… what do you mean, three issues?”

“You know, three issues of the comic book we’re in!”

Kaine’s team exchange nervous glances and back out of the room

2 points about the Priest miniseries and associated confusion.

1.) the proliferation of Spider people is not Slott’s fault. first there are the clones, then there are ultimate spider people created by Bendis, I would also say that the popularity of the Spider females increased the confusion. I liked the idea of Spider Verse. I reminded me of the Captain Britain corp.

2.I hope that is not the Original Spider Woman(Jessica Drew) on a suicide mission. I loved where they left her at the end of the Hopeless series and would be sad to see that status quo changed. Edit: It is Jessica :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Yeah, if you only read the main Spidey title, the other Spider-characters are barely there, aside from Silk’s introduction and the Spider-Verse storyline. I don’t recall Miles showing up post-Secret Wars at all, except maybe as a cameo.

AVENGERS HALLOWEEN SPECIAL #1
Gerry Duggan, The Soska Sisters, Jay Baruchel, Robbie Thompson & Rob Fee (W)
Juanan Ramirez, Jonas Scharf, Eoin Marron & Bob Quinn (A)
Cover by GEOFF SHAW
Variant cover by GERARDO ZAFFINO
TRICK OR TREAT, TRUE BELIEVERS!
PLUS! Spooky stories starring the X-Men & Doctor Doom!
Epic thrills and ghastly horror awaits in these all-new twisted tales! Spanning the breadth of the Marvel Universe, through the macabre lens of a murderer’s row of writers and artists assembled here, see your favorite heroes and villains as you’ve never seen them before!
Also including the Marvel Comics writing debut of Jay Baruchel (This is the End; Goon)!
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

MARVEL ZOMBIE #1
W. MAXWELL PRINCE (W) • STEFANO RAEFFELE (A)
COVER BY JUAN FERREYRA
VARIANT COVER BY In-Hyuk Lee
NEW FROM THE HOUSE OF IDEAS! MARVEL ZOMBIES IS BACK…WITH A TWIST!
Years after an incurable zombie virus ravaged the world, a small colony of survivors is protected by the Marvel U’s few remaining heroes, including Spider-Man, Daredevil and the Falcon. But when their last chance at salvation arrives, will they be willing to sacrifice their own humanity in the process? From the twisted minds of ICE CREAM MAN writer W. Maxwell Prince and Stefano Raffaele (Generations: Hawkeye) comes the next macabre obsession for fans of The Walking Dead and The Road!
40 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99

SPIDER-GWEN A.K.A. GHOST SPIDER #1 seems to be hedging its bets, name-wise.

Ben Blacker has a DC book called Hex-Wives and a Marvel book called Weapon Hex, both out in October.

Oh man. Those solicitations were a slog to get through. Seriously. Nothing took my fancy. I want an excuse to give Marvel my money. I really do. I’m not a hater. But, they are in a real creative slump here. Where’s the must read book? It’s full of inconsequential event mini’s and ridiculous tie ins.

I have high hopes for the relaunch of Uncanny X-Men, but at this rate they’ll stick a not quite ready for prime time writer on it, and a bunch of no name artists who can’t handle more than an issue or two in a row. That seems to be the new Marvel house style now.

I felt almost the exact same way. I want something at Marvel to love.

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to jump back on board Marvel books for a long while now, but every time I look at solicitations it completely turns me off.

Looks like this is the wrong month to start reading Marvel again.

There are good Marvel books but a Spider-Man event with a million spinoffs, a cosmic event with a million spinoffs, all those What If books, all those X-books…it’s a lot.

Yeah. The good books are getting lost in the dross. They really are.