millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

I think that makes my case rather than scuppers it, a book abandoned many years ago getting a finish. :smile:

Aaron’s entire Thor run is a must read classic. The lowest points of that run are higher than the highest points of most books of the past half decade. Good-to-stellar art almost the whole way through. Almost 6 years with the character…you don’t see that a lot these days.

Yeah. Maybe not “all time classics”, but certainly very good (i.e. better than average) capes & cowls comic books.

When I looked through the Previews for September releases, I noticed they putting out a bunch trades for 90s material. Some of it was pretty deep cut like Quasar and Darkhold. Some odd choices that were pretty niche.

They do put out some good stuff, but it’s a job trying to find it

Their signal to static ratio is not good, but then the same could be said of other publishers

I do think though that Aaron’s Thor run and Slotts’s Spider-Man will go down as all time great runs for each character though, which is not bad for an era that has been easy to get frustrated with

I’d have bought some of those trades but they are charging the same for them as they would modern books. Money for old rope.

I tend to agree. Shame about the constant re-numbering. How many #1’s did each run have? 6 or 7? That’s ridiculous.

That being said, I just finished my super trade wait read of Superior Spider-Man. I was pretty ambivalent to Slott’s Spider-Man before this - he was far from my favourite Brand New Day writer, and I found Big Time a chore. Superior, however, was a whole lot of fun from beginning to end.

It helped that there was the artists were all uniformly amazing too. Stegman, Ramos and Camuncoli. I really like the Spidey 2099 arc, and it was aces to see Agent Venom once again.

I’m sort of itching to see what happens in the next volume, but I’m going to take a break before starting on that. Too much of a good thing and all that.

Fraction/Aja Hawkguy!

Yeah bro. Good story bro. Would recommend it as bro-tastic, bro.

Ah yes, I didn’t love that one as much as some people did but I do remember lots of raves at the time.

Well I’m still hoping that CB is still going through the porject backlog of the Alonso days and that we’ll see some change at some point, preferably sooner than later… =/

Agreed. Also, Squirrel Girl!

I had a whole bunch of those.

Gillen & McKelvie’s Young Avengers must be mentioned when talking about the great Marvel runs of the last 5 years. It’s one of my all-time favourite comic series overall, completely masterful stuff.

I’d be remiss not to make sure that Nick Spencer and Steve Leiber’s Superior Foes Of Spider-Man got mentioned here as well. And while I’m at it, there’s Waid, Samnee, Rivera et al’s magnificent take on Daredevil. Then you’ve got G Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona and others’ Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan; Kelly Sue Deckonnick and others’ Captain Marvel; Dan Slott and Mike Allred’s Silver Surfer, and so much lovely weird stuff happening in the margins like Maguerite Bennet’s glorious Angela series, Kate Leth’s Hellcat series, and Amy Reeder and Brandon Montclare’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.

Announced at Comic-Con International: San Diego’s X-Men panel, the new Uncanny X-Men, each of the one-shots are scheduled to be release in October.

The characters are Magneto, Emma Frost, Juggernaut, Mojo, and Mystique, and each issue will feature back up stories focusing on Apocalypse written by Lonnie Nadler and Zac Thompson. The covers are classified.

The books’ creative teams are: Emma Frost (Leah Williams/Chris Bachalo), Magneto (Chris Claremont/Dalibor Talajic), Mojo (Scott Auckerman/Nick Bradshaw), Mystique (Seanan McGuire/Marco Failla), Juggernaut (Robbie Thompson/Shawn Crystal), and Apocalypse (Lonnie Nadler/Zac Thompson/Artist unannounced).

Would be nice if Newsarama and other websites realised that filling their site with utter crap that nearly crashes readers’ internet browsers isn’t a good idea!

So many comic sites seem to be like this, it’s why I get all my news from following creators on Twitter.

Sounds like one of the few good uses of Twitter, might well do that.