millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Great! I’ll look forward to those.

Remember when Marvel used to be able to make comics for kids?

Has Disney covertly purchased IDW? Didn’t they license Star Wars and some of their own properties to IDW not long ago?

No they haven’t bought them, yes they did the Star Wars thing. It seems that IDW had massive hits with My Little Pony (bronies apart) and other kids licences and are just better equipped to do it than Marvel.

I think it’s fine, Marvel outsourced their UK line of comics to Panini 20 odd years ago and to be honest Panini know the European market better and do a better job. Even with the general decline in newsstand comics sales they publish as many now as Marvel UK managed in their pomp in the 70s and 80s.

IDW is also publishing a Big Hero 6 series based on the movie.

Marvel also licences a fair bit of stuff to IDW for their Artist Edition line (DC does too, but keeps some of it in-house with their Gallery Editions).

The brand new series will be available in October 2018 and will focus on Shuri’s journey in the face of a tragic event: Black Panther is lost in a mission in space, leaving Wakandans asking questions about who should lead in his absence. As his little sister, and the next in line for the throne, Shuri is pulled from her happy place (her lab full of impossibly genius, high-tech gadgets) and into a much heftier role. According to the official Marvel synopsis, “Shuri is happiest in a lab, surrounded by gadgets of her own creation. She’d rather be testing gauntlets than throwing them. But a nation without a leader is a vulnerable one — and Shuri may have to choose between Wakanda’s welfare and her own.”

This compelling battle within the self and the impossible question of duty over passion will come to life in the new series thanks to Eisner-nominated artist Leonardo Romero and Afrofuturist author Nnedi Okorafor. Okorafor is an award-winning Nigerian-American writer, known for her work across the sci-fi genre, from young adult fiction to short stories and adult fiction.

I wonder if it wouldnt be better for this to be released in a format like Dc’s year one(or is it earth one?)
Much like iceman and something else (america?) is coming back due to good trade sales.
Man my memory sucks.

Rather than take 2 bites of the pie focus on a quality finished product as an evergreen project not drowned by continuity and I think retailers and consumers might be more interested.

Now, now, let’s not be cruel to Mr Punk.

Drax is coming back?

what would happen if Flash Thompson became Spider-Man instead of Peter Parker

Hasn’t that already been done?

Eugene_Thompson_(Earth-78127)_0001

Several times, I think.

Also, this synopsis of the new version made me laugh:

What if Peter Parker wasn’t the one bitten by the radioactive spider? What if the person who got bit was someone who didn’t live by the mantra of “with great power comes great responsibility”? What if that person was an egotistical bully who was only interested in taking care of himself?

Isn’t that exactly how Peter Parker does behave after he gets bitten by the spider in Amazing Fantasy #15? The whole origin is a cautionary tale about him learning not to be an asshole!

Nah he’s never an egotistical bully, he just uses his powers selfishly at first.

Peter did, however, seem, at times, like a school shooting waiting to happen.

_20180718_000159

You seem to think that image contradicts what I said when in fact it proves it.

I was listening to some commentary the other day on House to Astonish on how many ‘What If’ ideas from the past have actually been done in normal continuity.

Par example:

You think Peter isn’t being egotistical when he’s using his powers to become a famous TV star and telling people “I only look out for number one”?

No, I think he’s being selfish. He’s not telling people how great he is or bullying anyone.

The middle section of Amazing Fantasy #15 is all about him becoming a TV sensation and showboating, showing off his powers by becoming a prima donna star.

If you don’t think that’s egotistical then fair enough, but the basic outline for the Flash ‘What If’ story just made me laugh, because the whole point of the Spidey origin is that he gets powers and uses them like an asshole before he learns his lesson.