millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

He is professor of Zombieism at the University of Kentucky.

I thought everyone knew that!

That’s nothing to be impressed with. He had to settle for the teaching gig at University of Kentucky after failing to be offered a position at Université Quisqueya.

While I don’t necessarily disagree with your overall point, the X-franchise was in tatters because of the editorial decisions Marvel made post Morrison. Morrison usually does a pretty good job of hitting the reset button when he leaves a title. The thing that screwed the x comics was House of M. Quesada did a lot of great things for Marvel, but I think his “genies” that he insisted on shoving back into bottles was where Marvel comics started going downhill. Good editors are a must, but absurd editorial mandates are killers. DC has their problems there too. JH Williams Batwoman was destroyed by editorial mandates and I’m still bitter about it.

I only trust degrees from more reputable universities; like Miskatonic.

In the case of zombies, Miskatonic is not even a safety school. You want Université Quisqueya, Collège Soeurs de La Charité de Saint-Louis de Bourdon, Collège Universitaire Caraïbe or any of the other reputable ones.

I think the X-Men officially went off the rails when they couldn’t be happy with the Hope arc, when they tossed that aside as if it meant nothing. Retconning the identity of Xorn is one thing. But they had another shot when Bendis grabbed hold of the franchise post-AvX, but instead of pursuing the next generation angle he ran with the younger-versions-in-the-present thing, which cheapened everything into a punchline. I still need someone to explain that to me.

It’s a dead language.

Undead language, thank you very much.

It started well, had many of my favorite avengers and really hit its stride about 6 weeks in but it was padded and I gave up on it because I noticed that none of the Avengers in the story were going to be in the new Avengers. I think they just needed some way to get rid of the old Avengers books some of which I enjoyed so I stopped paying for it.

I count that a failure of the new book rather than No Surrender. I’d much rather read a series about Lightning and co.

I understand and yes, I was disappointed with the new Avengers book but why pay for a story with an agenda that I do not agree with.

For me, it’s because I don’t measure my entertainment in that way (I don’t mean that as a criticism, by the way). At the end of the day it comes down to whether or not I’m entertained by the story being told. Agenda might factor in to whether or not I check a book out in the first place - I picked up the first volume of America because I want to support diverse characters and creators - but I didn’t particularly enjoy it, so I haven’t continued reading it.

Interesting interview with Joe Q.

Nrama: Do you miss working 24/7 just on comics as an editor/writer/artist?

Quesada: Yes, I do. More than that, I miss the days when Brian Bendis, Mark Millar, and I were just sitting around concocting all sorts of craziness without a clue as to how it would be received or where it would take us. Bill Jemas was in that mix as well early on and the energy was insane and fearless. That’s what’s exciting me so much about this new era, I’m sensing a very similar energy between Editorial and this new group of artist and writers we have. Something’s brewing, not sure how it’ll be received and where it will take us, but it’s that feeling that makes it exciting to get to the drawing board in the mornings.

Say, whatever happened to that Millar guy? :wink:

This was interesting:

Nrama: I have to ask - Kevin Nowlan inked your Marvel Legacy #1 cover - and it looked amazing. How’d that come about, and could we see more of you two in the future?

Quesada: Thanks, that’s very kind of you. I was simply asked if I had time to do it… but because that’s way too short an answer for this kind of interview I’ll give you a bit insight as to how these things happen.

My standard policy, because I’m an employee of Marvel, is to always ask why I’m the right person to be doing a particular assignment. If the editor or the person in marketing gives me a reasonable answer, and I have the time, then I have no issue doing the piece. There have been many occasion where I turn covers down because I know there’s someone better to do the particular piece or a creator who has more of a legacy (pardon the pun) with a particular character.

Does that make sense? I try to be as agnostic as I can with these assignments. Anyway, once I agreed to do the cover, I did something stupid as I’m prone to do, I had this silly thought, what if it was a big four-cover connecting piece instead of just one cover…

Yes, I have my moments of self-loathing.

Interesting to see him say explicitly what we’ve been saying here for a while:

If we’re doing our jobs right, we’re the R&D division for all the other divisions of Marvel. Our challenge is to keep creating fantastic fantasies so that Marvel Studios, TV, Animation, Games, etc. have plenty of stuff to cherry pick and adapt for their own specific needs. Marvel is this big hungry beast that runs on content like coal in a furnace. While comics don’t drive the most significant revenue within the company, it provides that coal that runs the bigger engines that do.

There’s a lot of stuff he says in that interview that we’ve talked about and theorized here.

A lot of it no real surprise, especially if you see any of the animated stuff, they lift straight from the comics very quickly. The Spider-Verse storyline was barely a year after the comic came out I think.

It’ll be interesting if a) Joe has the magic touch twice and can repeat what he did 20 years ago and b) if Marvel will give him all the rope to really experiment with the line. I’m glad they’re realizing they need to do something to change course, and curious to see if Joe has any more ideas. No doubt he’s looking for the next Bendis/Millar combo.

All I’m gonna say is that’s a big social circle attached to Joey Q., with some mighty potent and bright creators.

This could lead to war.

I don’t think so. DC are paying great rates compared to Marvel and most big names are jumping. Marvel’s future isn’t in hiring Johns or Millar or Bendis or Hickman. It’s in finding talent and getting the next generation thru the door. They’ll be scouring every indie book to spot young folks with big ideas.

Their trouble is it’s a bit like baseball analytics - that trick worked 20 years ago but now everyone understands it. Their appeal is giving creators the chance to work on these global icons, see their work translated into big screen payoffs, and then letting creators take the Millar trail and build their own brands (and riches). I wonder though is the new generation are savvy to this already and will try to jump sooner than previous generations.