millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Yes.

No.

Like you’re staring at a screen right now? Social connections are broader now.

I know…but you have to shut it off at times. I don’t like it when people are engaged with their devices when they’re in company, never mind when they clearly shouldn’t be, like when they’re driving their bicycle. It diverts attention and screws with people’s attention span in the long run I think, as well as the dopamine receptors.

I’m kind of a technophobe I guess. I don’t think I’ll overcome that.

Right, but they probably were not sitting reading comics on their phones while having dinner.

I prefer to just sit and stare lifelessly at my wife. So much more comfortable.

Is it about them not engaging or not engaging with you the way you want to be? My dad complains about my mom always being on her iPad but he is always watching TV.

Complaining about other people on their devices is the new, “They’re not doing what I want them to do when I want them to do it.”

I’ve been in comics shops in Spain which carry most Marvel and DC books, translated into Spanish, released the same week as the English versions. They have a massive and more varied selection of trades and graphic novels, but US comics are still prominent there. Similarly, media and book stores with comics sections have a lot of US books alongside local stuff, Manga and BDs

I was actually thinking of that when I posted. :wink:

That’s a good point.

My perspective may be different because I live alone and don’t have a lot of social contacts. So when I go out and see someone, it is special for me, and I might appreciate the contact differently from other people.

There is something to be said that spending too much time in a social setting, when you’re supposed to be meeting up with friends, on your damn phone is way out of line!

Mark it zero!

Yes, that’s my point… the current product… no reason why they can’t come up with another, albeit similar, product.

One without letters or colors maybe? Or maybe just the same single image on every page?

It’s a Screen Rant article, so decide for yourself how seriously you’ll take it:

If that works, sure… worth exploring the option.

Or just let it stay as is and continue being a niche hobby… but then don’t cry about low sales.

Edit… although to be fair, I don’t think Marvel & DC are cying too much about sales… they seem to have embraced their specialized hobby status… It’s more the fans who bring these discussions up once in a while.

I think we get caught up in thinking it should be like Game of Thrones or Harry Potter, where huge success in one form of media leads to huge success in another, ignoring that those are self-contained mostly self-contained and they’re fairly close adaptations of the same stories. Which, I think, is also part of why The Walking Dead has been unusually successful, too. It’s essentially the same basic stories and characters, with some details changed.

Superhero comics aren’t that to the films if for no other reason than there’s too much signal to noise for someone coming in as a fan of, say, the Captain America films.

Yeah, just to be clear, i think it’s as rude as hell and I do pull people up for it.

I totally agree with the sentiment RE too much time spent on devices, but Arjan, i think if you already have a smartphone then I don’t think buying a tablet is going to make that worse in the sense that if you are buying it to read comics or watch movies and you were going to be reading comics and watching movies anyway.

If you were going to use it to aimlessly browse the Internet or for social media then that’s different.

It’s similar to novels, but that came back in a big way with Harry Potter and Hunger Games and, obviously, Stephen King never stopped being stupidly popular. From Nicholas Sparks to 50 Shades of Gray, novels have been able to deliver something the movies do not which is why people read them - and other people make movies out of them.

The deal is that you have to learn how to read comics as much as you have to learn how to read - period. Reading a comic book is a skill very different from seeing a movie or reading a novel. Now, most of us don’t remember learning how to do something like that, but we did have to learn how to watch television shows, films and read novels. How to follow a story in that form.

It’s not actually something you can naturally immediately pick up. Comics aren’t simply a three panel newspaper comic strip extended to thirty pages. Nor are they storyboards. In the past, when movies started telling stories, they were pretty much exactly like stage plays on the screen. It took a while before editing techniques and cinematography eventually had an audience that could comprehend the story that way. There are stories from early cinema history where some theaters in completely new markets initially hired narrators to tell the audience what was going on in the story of the films because they were completely unfamiliar with the cinematic techniques.

Now, I can watch a movie or a television show or read a book or a comic book because I’ve done all that since I was three. However, not everyone read comics when they were kids. Today, in the US, not a lot of kids read comics - even Manga - and if you don’t have that connection early, you’re not going to pick it up. On top of that comes the fact that comics in the US are still tightly associated with people in tights. Comics are considered a medium devoted essentially to delivering superhero stories.

However, even as the medium puts out more horror, crime, war and teen romance stories, it won’t really grab many of the people who read books or see movies about those stories because they never really learned how to read comics or, more importantly, how to get something out of the experience.

Yet, it doesn’t seem like the big comics publishers - and comics creators - at DC and Marvel really want to devote much attention to promoting and marketing books for pre-teens who could really get into the medium and get the same pleasure and entertainment out of it when we first started reading them. So, it stays in that niche.

This is essentially part of the problem though, fans often speak about expanding the market but if it isn’t in the standard floppy sales it’s mostly ignored. This is partly because that’s the best (only) data point we have but for example Marvel already have a better international model in quite a few countries than DC, they just mainly contract it out to Panini. Nobody knows what that’s worth outside the bosses of those companies.

One thing they could look at there is geographical pricing. Companies like Steam already do that, I can buy their games for often a 3rd of the price of the US and UK, mainly because that matches the average national salary level. It has hugely reduced software piracy because if you think about it that $40 game costs the equivalent of $120 in earning power here or maybe $180 in China. I’d imagine a rapid decline in the ‘what games are you playing?’ thread if those prices were the norm in Europe and America.

It’s a cash flow issue with trades. Creators typically work 3 months ahead on books, so they go three months before they get paid with the floppy model. With trades it could be much longer before they’d get their first check. And there’s no guarantee the sales would be there. I think the floppy market needs the most help.

Languages based pricing helps with that. You pay full price for English, French and German. Less for Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Russian. And much less for Mandarin, Hindi, Filipino and so on.

I might have put together this exact proposal for Millarworld 2 years ago before the Netflix discussions started…

Going back to the comics…@chrisS, the Al Ewing Rocket miniseries was very good. Smart, funny and good space action. I liked Ultimates, too, but I think this is the best work Ewing has done at Marvel.