millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Mostly just having a poke at you. I’m tempted to change your title to “Some asshole” now but I’ll resist. :wink:

Sorry I didn’t read this reply as I had to nip out to Borders (the Toys R Us is still open too).

Ya. Most of the Borders here have been replaced by Books A Million (BAM!). They’re an even more bargain basement bookstore. That was one of Borders main problems. They tried were trying to be up and down market at the same time. They really never should have closed all of their Waldenbooks. Smallish mall bookstores were the one place they beat B&N.

I’m not talking about video games being a substitute for the average comic fan. I mean that for a kid who hasn’t really read comics, if they see the movies and want a superhero experience, it’s more likely they’d find the video games than comics. Or even lapsed fans who don’t want to follow ongoing continuity, events, retcons, multiple titles, etc.

I’ve already replied a million times to this… too bad Marvel never reads these forums =P

They (the whole industry) need to re-think and change their whole model from the ground up. And like Gar says, it’s all about digital.

But they seem incapable and unwilling to change anything, so it IS a niche hobby and so it will remain, 'cause there’s no way in hell comicbooks will become popular they way they are (and at the price they ask).

Oh and I mean floppies… Trades do a lot better, but even there they could make a lot of improvements.

Stuff like Asterix sells loads of books in Europe. I do wonder why American style comics suffer so much more. Not sure about stuff like manga in Japan, or comics in other countries.

Well there’s a lot to study from the European and Japanese models in terms of production models, financial models, etc… it’s not as easy as that because in both instances there’s a lot of cultural differences that can’t be transposed directly, obviously, but CBs have been at a peak high lately and the industry has failed utterly to capitalize on that momentum…

Yes, I think that for the purposes of these conversations we can assume that ‘comics’ means US comics.

I loved the time I spent living in France, where most supermarkets of any size had a big rack of hardback comics albums, and bookshops had huge sections devoted to them. I spent a lot of time browsing.

That’s not an answer though. You’re not smarter than Marvel.

1. there’s already a digital model, has been for years, and it’s not making much of a difference
  2. there’s already huge price discounts on a regular basis and they’re not really growing the market which means
  3. the only place you think they can go is vastly discounted day of release digital, and if they do that they could collapse the entire comic book store industry. These stores can’t survive without Marvel, and if that business erodes there will be closures that will dwarf what happened in the 90’s. And with that Marvel would lose local presence to promote the hobby in 3000 stores across the US alone and they’d lose all customers who don’t have a good enough tablet to make digital a viable alternative. You’d ruin the industry on the gamble that people not interested in comics right now might do so if they can get them cheaper online. Which already doesn’t bear fruit given the lack of progress with Comixology.

Digital is not an answer to the US market woes. It is however the right answer for the international market where the comic book store model basically doesn’t exist in 90% of nations.

Is there much of an international market for US comics?

There used to be Dutch translated versions of the most popular superhero books in cigar stores here. It’s funny now to think even the hero’s names were translated literally, Spider-Man was Spinneman and Hulk for some reason was De Rauwe Bonk (The Rough Chump)…I think those were quite popular but I don’t think they’re published here anymore. (Don’t have many cigar stores left either.)

Yes there’s a digital model in terms of sales, not of production… although, not really… there has also been a “digital model” for some years, and it’s not too far off from what it should be (the “infinity” free digital comics they publish, I’m talking about).

Also, if a comicbook is $5 bucks because of production costs, it’s time to re-think your production model. Simple as that. How? there’s many ways they could try, the manga model is one, the european model is another one… both of those rely on heavy cultural/social differences though, so they need to either adapt elements from those, or create something new.

It’s not only about price, although price has a lot to do with it. Cheaper 0-day releases are not the solution either, because the whole model is bonkers… we shouldn’t even be talking about monthlies anymore.

And as for digital not being the answer?? Well then what is? Print media is dying a slow but sure death, and honestly, it probably should at this point. Yes, comicbooks can survive in their current niche form, but if we’re talking about growing the industry and thriving, you need to do some radical changes and some obviously “cheap” and unimportant “infinity” free books once in a while aren’t gonna cut it.

There’s a massive global appetite for Marvel movies. I’m pretty sure the cartoons and merchandise all sell gangbusters internationally. Marvel simply need to figure out how to get comics in those fans hands.

You completely ruin the product if you try to take out production cost. Can’t be done. Disney could run the comics division at a loss, just pump money into developing the books, but that’s not what they’re choosing to do. There’s no acceptable answer for a company like Disney to fret over losing money on comic books considering how much the comics can pay off in other ways (if one Guardian of the galaxy movie nets $200 million in profit that could fuel 8,000 comics, 100 new books every month for nearly 7 years.

If that had an easy answer it wouldn’t be simply stated on a message board for free. That answer would make someone tens of millions.

That in itself is old thinking. Why promote in 3000 stores when you can promote on 3 billion screens? The high street is dying, tomorrow’s audience will never leave their homes to shop. Market to that growing audience, not the shrinking, increasingly irrelevant, audience of old fuddy-duddies like you and me.

In 5 years we will laugh so much when we remember that there was once a time when someone didn’t have a good enough tablet.

The funny thing is, it’s really just about the economy, and how it’s struggled to recuperate from the Great Recession. We look at crazy box office totals and think there’s a lot of money out there, but there really isn’t. The economy improves and comics no longer seem like such a luxury. Although in a sense they are.

I hate the idea of digital comics, I’m a papyrophile. I don’t have a tablet and I’m certainly not buying one for comics.

You’re wrong! :wink:

Me too. But you and I will die, and our replacements will be born with tablets in their hands.

Does a tablet battery last any longer than a laptop? Don’t they have to recharge after reading for a few hours? I don’t have to recharge my books.

I dislike this age where everybody is glued to their devices. Went out to dinner a while back and some of the diners were staring into their damned little screens instead of making actual emotional contact with the people they were with.

Have been born. :wink: