Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

I don’t know if it’s that or just a natural cycle where you have quiet periods. I haven’t been a regular at my LCS for more than a decade but I’ve had peaks and troughs of comics-buying over that period.

I’m at a point at the moment where - with one or two exceptions - I’m pretty much only reading and buying old stuff. I’m sure I’ll come back at some point but there’s just not a lot of new stuff that’s grabbing me at the moment.

(Jessica Jones at Marvel, Wild Storm at DC and Kill Or Be Killed and Saga at Image are the only current singles I’m following, I think. And JJ is finishing soon.)

It’s inevitable when we have lots of other time commitments that this stuff gets pushed out.

Well we’ve had other time commitments for most of our lives, with work and other things. Creatively Marvel are at a low point which they’re trying to correct. In general though I think something has to be lost when you’re not going to the comic store on a regular basis.

I miss the engagement of going to the comic shop. I have to admit that I’ve not had the engagement I had previously come to expect for a long time though.

I get more of that here than at my LCS now.

I have never regularly bought comics in a comic shop. I used to use mail order because it was cheaper (and initially the LCS was too far away), then went to trades and now on digital.

For me that is definitely a part of it. I’ve realized over the last few years that a large part of the hobby was the routine and joy of the Wednesday trek. And I am far more likely to make an impulse purchase with something I can pick up and flip through, and have the transaction with an actual human being.

I still buy King’s Batman in floppies as I’d like to have a full run, and I make it to the store to pick those up. Even if I don’t buy anything else it’s still a significantly better experience than anything I do on Comixology or Marvel Unlimited.

This is why I think selling recent work at a deep discount on Comixology is a curious decision. They’re not making any money, and potentially exposing people to a lot of bad product. Not sure what the upside is.

By tradition most of us comics folks are a bit socially shy, and have had negative experiences where we have gotten at least some ribbing or teasing for liking comics. A comics shop is one of few places to go where not only is the comics jones satisfied, but usually the socialization is with peers. I used to love the walk to Cabin Fever Comics. It was only four blocks, but that was (at the time) a maximum-endurance walk and glad Brian had a couple chairs! Take away this social factor, and it’s a direct interface with the comics.

We get older. Tastes change. Right now there is a tsunami of genre entertainment, never before seen. Private nerd-jokes are making it into the common dialogue.

Besides, @Jim - you have to focus on the two boys, wife, brother, business and board. It’s also a period of low-interest comics (particularly whatever Marvel is screwing up at the moment). So it’s a good time for a break. More a time for reviewing what you know, and, in a way, packaging it for the boys. Besides, think of the storage space that comics took up and are now taken up by empty plastic bags!

That’s really interesting. I know that when I’ve said I’ll trade wait a series, I usually literally forget to order the trade. So there’s a definite disengagement there. If I’m not going in and having a comic thrust in my face by my friendly neighbourhood comic shop guy, the comic suddenly doesn’t seem very important. If I wasn’t going to the shop at all, I really don’t think I’d feel I was missing anything.

It’s funny that a lot of these conversations are started about Marvel especially when I feel like DC are doing much better with this kind of engagement in similar respects.

Are there just more lapsed Marvel Zombies here?

Judging by them not having a comic in the top 5 Diamond sellers in the latest chart, yes.

I used to be a Weekly Wednesday Warrior but as I cut back on my purchasing, I now go about every two weeks on a Saturday.

I think I disengaged to a certain extent long before I reduced my purchasing. I was buying out of habit. I was getting some enjoyment out of the books but not as much as the select few I buy now.

Selling off my entire collection except for almost four long boxes of books was a defining experience. I think that really severed my connection to the hobby. I still buy books and enjoy them but there is no pressure to buy. I see sales and things look cool but I pass them up with no sense of loss or longing. I don’t feel any needs or compulsions with comics.

I truly cannot see myself buying and/or collecting the way I did ever again.

To the people who don’t buy digital comics, would you buy them if there were no physical copies produced anymore?

Maybe, but I haven’t really found a way I enjoy reading digital comics. I would need a better e-reader, for sure. I have a Kindle that’s great for regular books, but I can’t get comfortable reading comics digitally yet.

I think a decent device is important. I have a reasonably high-resolution 10.1" tablet and I wouldn’t want to read on anything smaller or inferior to that, display-wise.

I’m a bit of a traditional fan in that sense too. I have a 10" tablet and the dimensions are almost exactly the same as a standard US comic. I’ve tried the ‘guided view’ stuff and can see the value but it doesn’t work for me. It’s full pages pretty much looking the same as I’ve always read them.

I have been thinking of looking for an even bigger screen so I can go ‘OHC’ on standard comics but decent ones that aren’t very expensive MS Surface stuff seems hard to find. There was an Acer one I saw at 13" but it had been discontinued, I should look again.

I think all of the Trades thread regulars stopped being a zombie for any company a long time ago! The thread is lethal for your bank account, but has a huge amount of recommendations, often ranging far and wide. The result tends to be greater, but also more critical engagement.

As to space - I find space limitations are a good way of forcing me to sell of some volumes to create space for newer ones. I’d probably be worse on comics without it and I’m bad enough as it is.

Light strikes the printed page and is reflected back to the eye. The screen generates the light and that strikes the eyes. Seems to me that a whole lot of visual art is the artist in command of the medium. It’s why pencilers like certain inkers and colorists and so forth - and some are happiest doing it all themselves. Then the usual process is scanning for digital, and there ya go with a whole change in … a lot of stuff. (You get technical, I’d just sound silly.) Point being it’s a whole different use of light.

Which leads me to wonder if the artistic house style of particularly Marvel is now more intended for digital than print consumption. Whaddaya think?

A lot of artists (especially colorists the final stage in the process) are all digital. So there is no physical product to scan most of the time anymore. They’re actually printing the digital file. :wink:

Even old codgers like Brian Bolland dumped paper over a decade ago.

Pretty much every colourist is digital.

The only downside is that for a lot of artists there is no longer any original art. It does seem to make the process much more streamlined for some.

I would go digital if it was the only option available (for the whole industry, not just a single title - there are plenty of digital only titles I’ve never bothered with) but I’d much rather stick with hard copies.