millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Of course, I’d personally add the brief McDuffie-Pelletier run.

That description is just so much the same old hyperbole it is impossible let to judge if it will be good or not.
I’ll be waiting on the collective MW view before I go near it.

That sounds like the most interesting Marvel comic for years. Not just a fresh and clever idea for a story, but potentially a great lead-in (dare I say “jumping on point”?) to other comics. If this had come out 25 years ago, I’d be throwing money at it and all the inevitable tie-ins.

I dunno, on the one hand, it’s Jason Aaron, so there’s cause to be optimistic since he’s been pretty good weaving that sort of tales over on the Thor books…

But it also reminds me of that unfortunately unfinished Hickman SHIELD series… Also, the whole move of calling them BC Avenegrs reeks of cheap marketing ploy.

I’m sceptical, not least as part of that PR material indicates Marvel have drawn the wrong conclusions from what made Rebirth a success.

They have my money already for this. I’m very easily swayed , and 50 pages of Aaron already had me hooked.

Marvel solicitations are out:

$5.99 for Legacy, which isn’t awful.

Elliott Kalan’s doing a fill-in on Spider-Man/Deadpool #21. His Spider-Man and the X-Men series was great, so I’ll be picking that up.

SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #21
ELLIOT KALAN (W) • Todd Nauck (A)
COVER BY WILL ROBSON
VENOMIZED ITSY BITSY VARIANT COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS
• When the villainous ARCADE decides to build a second, even deadlier Murderworld in Madripoor, he kidnaps Spider-Man and forces him to be the park’s first guest!
• Deadpool, meanwhile, has a bone to pick with Arcade… Namely that his terrifying theme parks are besmirching murder and its good name!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Solicitations for September 2017 (w/ Previews Text)

Uh, yeah it is.

With the rates being what they are, that’ll be what £5-5.50 when you can get a trade at $9.99 / £8.99 for just over £6 now.

I meant compared to Marvel’s other prices. The Generations one-shots out that month are $4.99 each.

Da-amn, that’s… Even by Marvel’s commercial tendencies that’s pretty damn awful.

It’s 64 pages though so that price isn’t ideal, it’s more than fair.

Except DC Rebirth, which they’re trying so hard to emulate, was 80 pages for $2.99. That’s why so many people picked it up, including me, who wasn’t reading any DC at the time.

As I said, it’s not ideal but it’s more than fair.

Was it the Countdown one-shot leading into Infinite Crisis that was 80 pages for US$1 all those years ago? That was amazing value.

Even DC went for a higher price point for their latest even lead in. $4.99 for 36 pages. It sounds like these books may not be the loss leaders they once were and have to be profitable on their own merit now.

That’s an event kick-off though, not a “new status quo, everyone get on board” book.

Same difference. :wink:

Both used to be used as loss leaders and don’t seem to be working now. I would be curious if Rebirth (or a similar book) would have kept the same price point now.

I may pick up Legacy. I’m still undecided. I’ve dropped all my Marvel books now, but Aaron and Ribic were amazing on God of Thunder. It would be madness not to give them a shot here.

If anything it shows up how long I haven’t been buying monthlies for! I think the last time I did it was about £2-2.50 and $3.99 price tags were rare.

(No, Meadows has not hijacked my PC!)

By my math it’s almost 3 times the comic for 1.5 times the price. Of Esad Ribic art, to boot. It’s a steal.

I reserve the right to change my mind if it turns out half of it is a backup story I don’t care about.