millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

I dunno, man. I’ve seen 60’s comic covers.

Joking aside, I’ve actually been reading through the original FF run at bedtimes with my daughter recently, and it’s been very accessible and enjoyable for her. I forgot how crazy and ‘anything goes’ those early issues are, and she likes the bold art and strong characterisation.

We’re still only in the early issues but so far she’s not showing any signs of losing interest.

That’s really great to hear. Because of course that’s who those issues were written for.

Reading early FF as an adult now, and putting aside my nostalgia, I can see Kirby’s art was often pretty primitive and Lee’s dialogue was obviously a product of his time. But even as a jaded adult I can still marvel at the unrelenting inventiveness of every issue. It’s that sense of wonder that would have hooked me as a child, not the level of artistic craft. And it still appeals to me now. It’s very rare that I would use the phrase “sense of wonder” in relation to a modern comic, no matter what level of artistic genius is there on the page, but I still feel it about those 60s’ Marvels.

Yeah, it’s real imagination-fuel. She loves writing stories at the moment and I think material like this has helped to broaden her horizons.

I’d actually be perfectly down with adults deciding en masse to hand the comics traditionally read by children and teenagers back to them, and just going to read some other books instead.

Only if they also hand over their Battletech games and Transformers toys :stuck_out_tongue:

BattleTech was always aimed at adults, and there are separate lines of Transformers toys just for adults with commensurate increase in detail and complexity.

Hmm. I first played BattleTech as a student, but I don’t think I would have had any problem playing it as a teen. I started wargaming at 14, with games a lot more complex than Battletech. Just because adults do play those games doesn’t mean that are adult games. Toy soldiers are for kids, period. Just like 60s comics were.

(You might gather that I am taking a contrarian postion that I don’t actually believe in.)

Yes, and it shows because it’s arguing against a point I wasn’t making.

Yeah, I think I lost the plot somewhere down the line there :confused:

mmmmmm

I wonder if Marvel isn’t shooting itself in both feet with Unlimited as it takes away from physical sales and takes away the immediacy of keeping up with the universe. It’s almost like it was created to ween Marvel Zombies off of new comics.

Like @Jim was saying, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re OK with having a buttload of MU subscribers instead of people buying individual comics. So long as they’re making money and are meeting their internal metrics, it doesn’t really matter how and why readers consume the media they produce.

I’m saying from my own experience that after having MU for a while, I just lost interest in Marvel comics. I wasn’t buying anything new and exciting. By the time the things I was curious about came to MU, I wasn’t really interested in them anymore. What little marketing they have is aimed at final cut-off dates for retailers. So by the time it hits MU, it’s been the better part of 9 months since they’ve had any push.

Comics and periodicals are about immediacy. If they’re not tapping into that, I think they’ve lost a step and should just go to an OGN model.

That’s a fair assesment, and it’s worth noting that in the last 10 years or so I’ve bought exactly one Marvel comic, and it was a reprint of Fred Hembeck strips.

I think the last point there, about prodicals being about immediacy is definitely something that Marvel and DC lean into with their main superhero universes especially. The idea that you’ve got to keep up to date because all this counts somehow. It’s less about enjoyment of an individual comic and more about knowing the ins and outs of the MCU or DCU - we all know people who don’t enjoy some comic or other but still buy it every month to keep their collection intact. And the ability to dip in and out of Marvel Unlimited breaks that somewhat, you can pick and choose and just read the bst stuff.

As someone who’s converted 100% to trades and OGNs, I’ve no problem with that.

Same here. Evidently, American comics struggle to make the economics work out for them without monthlies subsidizing them though.

I don’t think it’s necessarily as negative as that. Sometimes the drum beat of a story works better month in and month out (or every two weeks like some of the current DC books) in a way that it doesn’t in a collected form. It’s inherently a serialized medium and there are ways to take advantage of that but a lot of what they’re doing/have done breaks that down a bit.

It’s the opposite for me. Since about 2005, I’d dip into Marvel now and again, trade waiting outstanding stuff like Fraction’s Hawkeye or (much earlier) Slott’s She Hulk, but now with MU I’m a regular reader of 5-8 titles a month, and I flick through other titles and the event miniseries. If it wasn’t for MU I think the only Marvel title I’d be getting right now would be Squirrel Girl, and I would have also bought King’s Vision. I’m happy to pay for my MU sub for years to come and I think they make more out of me now than they had done for many, many years.

(The app is still garbage, though, and they should be ashamed of how technically glitchy and shoddy it is and by the lack of features — why no automatic subscriptions? Push notifications? Why not collect titles into trades? etc)

That was my main turn off. I would rather pay more for a great experience than get a half-assed one for cheap.

I wonder if there’s not any money in that model for improvements.

Yeah, I noted something similar in my Akira reread posts, about how the pacing is very different between the 30-50 page monthly installments of my teenage years and the TWO THOUSAND PAGES just sitting there in a box on the floor of my nerdroom, and I can just keep reading. And even then, the two times Akira was serialised in English (In the US by Marvel and the UK by Dark Horse/Manga Entertainment), each installment was roughly two of the Japanese ones, so there was even a pacing change from the original version to the English.

And it gets more complex when you take into account writers like Warren Ellis who are working towards that final collection.

Joe Casey was going to move his series Sex from monthly floppies to OGNs. I haven’t seen any more on that. He ended the monthly but I haven’t seen the OGN though it is possible I may have missed it. It’s been almost a year since the last collected edition was released.