millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

Yeah that’s a fair point. I can explain it easily though by saying… oh sorry there’s someone at the front door.

I had considered giving some of these a try. Thank you for saving me the effort.

With the state of things as they are, I think that one issue is really all they get to find their audience as it will be relaunched in another year and retailers will have had to decide on how they think the first 4-6 issues will do before that first issue hits the stands.

Deadpool really flies in the face of all those theories.[quote=“RobertB, post:248, topic:10046”]
Apropos of nothing mentioning McDuffie’s run last night made me think I’d really like an FF book that starred Storm, Black Panther, Riri Williams, and the Thing.
[/quote]

That could be great. Though I’m not sure there is much interest in FF. Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch were on the book telling a great story which should have been like the second coming of The Ultimates and it didn’t seem to do the numbers they were expecting.

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Yet despite that Hickman hit the highest sales in decades with the Johnny ‘death’ and relaunch.

Well I hope that’s not their thinking, as it’d be like trying to starve out someone locked in a fallout shelter with a decade’s worth of food. There’s plenty of good material Fox could mine for multiple FF films (if they knew what they hell they were doing, which they don’t) without Marvel needing to be cagey about adding to it.

I think Millar/Hitch FF’s problem was twofold. First most people didn’t expect it to come out in any kind of timely manner and so were leery of committing to it. More so though I don’t think Millar’s stories really clicked with people. Admittedly I could be misremembering but There seemed to be a cynicism and nastiness in the background of several of the stories that I found off putting.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Is anyone reading the new Gamora book? It looks like it’s being written by one of the screenwriters of the films and might tie closer into film continuity as kind of an prequel/origin story. The Esad Ribic covers are pretty eye grabbing too.

https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/runaways001_cvr.jpg

Marvel’s Runaways may be making the jump to television, but now they’ll also be returning to their comic book roots — and each other. EW can exclusively reveal that Eleanor & Park author Rainbow Rowell will be penning the upcoming ongoing comic series, joining Kris Anka who is the artist on the series.

“This is my favorite Marvel book. When [editor Nick Lowe] first reached out to me a few years ago about maybe working for Marvel, it was the first thing I asked him about,” Rowell tells EW of how the match-up came to be. “The characters and original story by Brian K. Vaughan (Paper Girls) are just so great and so beautifully built. I was really excited because I always felt like there were more Runaway stories and that book should just have kept going.”

“It’s kind of funny calling them the Runaways because it’s not like they’re the Avengers or the X-Men. They were not formed with a mission and a purpose. They’re just kids who ended up in the same boat,” explains Rowell of one of the major things the team will face. “At the beginning of this series they are scattered to the four winds and half of them are dead. One of the challenges now is who are they when they’re apart? They got thrown together, but now they’ve been pulled apart. They’re trying to figure out who they really are without each other… This arc is very much about them choosing to be together.”

Thanks for sharing but I’m completely underwhelmed.

The Runaways is one of my favourite Marvel books and although I will certainly give this a try I was hoping for someone more seasoned writing it.

When I see a lot of these books being announced with these unknown creators I’m already counting the issues before it will be cancelled.

I’m a big fan of Rowell’s, so I’m on board for sure. With the TV series on the way, I hope it’s given a chance. The original series took ages to catch on too.

I bought them both as they came out (and sold the aliens issues year ago, probably for cheap, as I was a student and needed £££ ).

Does that make me officially old, or just foolish?

Yes

Yeah, still not into those character designs. But Runaways was one of my favorite books when it was around so I’m hoping it turns out to be good.

Even though it’s on MU, I’ve never bothered. It’s one of those titles that makes me think ‘why bother?’ And I haven’t heard any buzz around it, either.

But if you try it, let us know!

I picked up the first four issues in a sale. Haven’t read them though.
It’s interesting that she worked on the script for the first movie pre-Gunn, and got no credits on the second. Yet here she is, writing a Gamora comic.

True story … My 7 year old came into our bedroom this morning, with his battered copy of last year’s FCBD Captain America issue, “Can you buy me number 1 of this? Where he fights Hydra?” … Erm …

Just be slightly economical with the truth and get him any one of the several hundred stories where he really does fight Hydra. :wink:

You must be able to find a Captain America #1

Not sure #16 should count.

For those that were asking in the previous thread, the FCBD issues are up at comixology:

(DC too)