millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Marvel Comics: All-New & All-Different

New Marvel, new thread. Marvel has revealed that its next Marvel Now initiative is All-New, All-Different. From Mashable.

“We’ve been planning it for years,” Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso told Mashable. “We realized that [‘Secret Wars’] would be a game-changing moment that would allow us to create a big white canvas. It’s an unprecedented chance for us to tell new stories across all titles with new No. 1s.

Though the initiative is sweeping and comprehensive — with all-new creative teams behind both new and existing titles — it won’t do anything to erase or rewrite history that previous comics have established. However, “All-New, All-Different” will pick up some eight months after the conclusion of “Secret Wars,” and much will have happened in that time to alter the landscape.

Alonso said it’s a perfect jumping-on point for new readers, but true believers will certainly recognize the Marvel world they’ve come to know over the years.

The new books — about 55 to 60 in all, slightly less than Marvel publishes right now — will each introduce new storylines. In some cases, a new character will be wearing familiar costumes, or will have moved, or will have significant shifts in their relationships to other characters. Many of those changes will be shockingly big.

He did, however, reveal some big changes that may rattle a few traditionalists: " The all-new Hulk … this character is certain to cause debate The all-new Hulk … this character is certain to cause debate," he said. “The same people who went crazy with female Thor will have a field day with this one.”

There’s also an entirely new Spider-Man. Alonso wouldn’t say much more, but hinted that there may be more than one (and the image above would certainly confirm that).

“Will there be enough room for him and Peter Parker? Read and find out,” Alonso said, adding: “Wolverine will return to the Marvel Universe (again, this will be something big). Who is Wolverine? You’ll have to read and find out.”

What non-comics are you reading these days?

So are we no longer having ‘infinite threads’? I thought that was the plan with the new board.

55 to 60 new books can be looked at in two ways:

Plenty of diverse choice for the readers to pick and choose what they want to read from.

Or a lot of confusion over titles, multiple titles for each character and that feeling of overwhelmingness that I get from Marvel when it comes to try follow their books.

In I’m both camps at the moment, I really wish they and DC would reduce their lines down to about 30 books each and make it easier for the consumer to choose and for themselves to have some decent quality assurance.

I can’t say that anything Alonso said fills me with great confidence about picking up more Marvel stuff in the future. Picking up 8 months later sort of makes sense, but those kind of time jumps (and relaunches) can kill books, especially ones with ‘fresher’ readers, like Ms Marvel. And I really hope they haven’t shoved Spider-Gwen in the Marvel U instead of keeping her in her own reality.

A modern day Red Wolf is intriguing though.

So it basically looks like all the new initiatives from last year will stay - like Ant-Man, Spider-gwen, nu-Thor, Nu-Cap and Old-Cap, Shield, Uncanny Avengers, Spider-woman, Ms Marvel etc.

Also we have Miles, a new Hulk, a new Iron Man, new X-men, A black Panther series, a Weirdworld series, a new Wolverine (Old Man Logan?) …

I remember when Marvel Team-Up debuted, allowing us to get two books featuring Spider-Man every month. TWO!! Good times, good times…

Oops, time for my medication and a bowl of apple sauce. See ya!

I truly have no regrets on giving up on Marvel.

I feel sorry for Alonso for having to promote and say such twaddle.

I really like the new Iron Man design. Bringing Vision closer to his film appearance is cool too. I’m not familiar with the Native American character on the bottom right. Who is he? Also, what’s up with Old Steve? I haven’t kept up with Captain America but the images I’ve seen seem to depict him in various levels of decrepitude. How is he still sporting rock hard abs?

“You’ll have to read and find out!”, Alonso said.

Hey Alonso, what if I wait for the books to come out and then just check out comments threads around the internet?

Hahaha. Is it the Red Wolf that Martin mentioned? Not familiar with him. If their shooting for diversity, that’s a pretty stereotypical portrayal. :wink:

Wait until they introduce the French hero with the stripey jumper, beret and onions around his neck.

Do you mean Le Glouton? Le new Wolverine?

He’s not stereotypical – he has pirate boots!

He’s Red Wolf, a character from the 70s. He’s being re-introduced in the western battleworld comic.

Thank you. I’m a little more OK with “traditional” dress if it’s set in an Old West time frame.

We’ve rebooted some threads occasionally to promote new readers entering the conversation. This felt like a good time to reboot this one.