millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Luke Cage (Netflix) discussion

But that’s not how these stories work, ever. The restaurant is fine when we’re next there because the physical damage literally doesn’t matter.

coughManofSteelcough

Yeah but it’s lazy writing.

The magic insurance pixies will fix the place up and all will be well, so let’s break some windows! It would’ve been a better use of Cage to see him either fight more intelligently (given his abilities) or screw up and have to suffer the consequences.

As it is, the scene is a bit hollow.

If I was in the MCU New York, I would totally start my own cleaning agency and… wait for it… clean up.

It’s just a standard trope of modern action stories. To go after Cage for it when everyone does it, as opposed to the more glaring flaws with the show (much as I loved it, Cage was far from perfect) seems to me to be missing the wood for the trees.

You could give it some snappy name, like Destruction Management?

Hence why I said I don’t actually like the scene, because that’s stupid it should matter. Otherwise, it’s bad writing. It’s the problem I had with the show overall and why I hope they replace the showrunner next season. I thought the show had good ideas but was very poorly written.

There’s a comic for you:

Or Damage Control? :wink:

Sweet Christmas! :wink:

Please note for context that Rory’s title is ‘enthusiastic twice annually’. The next occasion is due in February. :wink:

Is it bad writing every time Jessica Jones smashed up her door? Or when she and cage were demolishing walls? How about the smashed doors in the hallway fight in Daredevil? Or when SHIELD HQ got damaged in series 3 of Agents of SHIELD (and it was back to normal 2 weeks later)?

EDIT TO ADD: Hell, the first fight we see Cage in back in Jessica Jones has him smashing thugs off of the furniture in his own bar! And it was fine the next time we saw him in there too!

Wear & Tear Administration

Distinguished Cleaning.

Don’t be silly Lorcan! We go after all the other problems too! :wink:

You seem to be missing the point. In all the situations you’re describing the things/place being smashed belong to the people doing the smashing. In the scene above, he’s smashing up someone else’s business.

Also, in Jessica Jones, the damage remains and is repeatedly commented on. In fact, it’s a detail that provides insight about her character. When she fights in Luke’s bar, if I remember correctly, he’s annoyed at the damaged caused. Shield is a government organization with a budget that allows for repairs. Cage smashes up the place of business of a couple that is middle class at best and who need that business to make the very money they would need to repair that business. It’s a completely different kind of situation. They should have been furious at him and there’s no way they could have afforded to instantly repair the place. It’s just bad writing.

No, my point is that it doesn’t matter what’s being smashed because this is an action story, and everything in the scene is there to be smashed.

[quote=“Rory, post:176, topic:8211”]
Also, in Jessica Jones, the damage remains and is repeatedly commented on. In fact, it’s a detail that provides insight about her character.[/quote]

But it always gets repaired

Cage was annoyed that he was in a fight, but again, all damage to the bar was gone with no comment by the next episode

Actually, in series 3 SHIELD was still underground and didn’t officially become a funded organisation until the time jump at the end of series 3. But if that’s not enough, they destroyed their big fancy plane at the end of series 2 and had a new, fancier one at the start of series 3.

Cage smashes up a setpiece. As soon as the fight started it wasn’t a middle-class restaurant any more, it was a bunch of stuff that breaks to make the scene more exciting. Like every other action story in the last 30 years or more.

I don’t think anyone objects to familiar tropes or the use of set pieces to showcase the abilities of the characters, but these are things that can be done well, or… not so well.

Too much of that fight felt like it was created on autopilot. I really liked the series and there was so much in the show that lived up to it’s promise but that scene fell short. That’s a shame.

That’s pretty much how I felt. The slow-motion moment was nice, but other than that… nothing much interesting about it. Same goes for all of the Luke Cage fights, really. Alias had the same problem.

Shows like Burn Notice (back then), Person of Interest and Banshee have raised the level of TV fight scenes. Daredevil has done great in this, too, but for a show like Luke Cage to be that uninspired in its fights is a shame.

I had just binged Banshee before watching Jessica Jones - bad move. I was sorely disappointed with JJs fights.