millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Jupiter's Legacy Vol. 2 Release Schedule?

Hi there! I’m big Millarworld fan and I try to grab pretty much anything I can get my hands on but I’ve been having some trouble tracking down Jupiter’s Legacy Vol. 2 Issue #3 at any of my local comic shops. Does anyone know when issues #4 and #5 are schedule to be released so I don’t have this issue with those…issues?

Issue 4 has been out for a week or two already. It’s great!

Midtown Comics is usually going to have the most accurate release dates. You can probably find Issue #3 from them, Issue #4 came out a couple weeks ago and Issue #5 is currently scheduled for November 9th but that is subject to change.

Crap! I don’t remember seeing issue #4 at any of the places I’ve been to or on any of the shipping lists!

Are the shipping prices reasonable at Midtown Comics?

Image also has their own site that tracks release dates for books. It looks like they’re saying November 30th. None of these dates are 100% accurate until the Wednesday before though.

To look for a comic shop near you try
http://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575
E-mail (or phone) those closest to you if they have the issues you need.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/jupiters-legacy-vol.-2-5

Well, the rescheduling rollercoaster ride continues: The release date for Jupiter’s Legacy 2 #5 just got pushed back…

for

the

FIFTH

time

…to March 15th. Assuming it actually ships then, it will be a grand total of four-and-a-half months late (and, by the way, #4 was two weeks late). This after Mr. Millar repeatedly claimed that all of his 2016 series, including this one, would for sure ship monthly because he was going to wait until he had all the issues in the drawer before publishing them.

So, Mr. Millar, would you please be so kind as to finally explain what, exactly, happened here?

I’m sure Frank Quitely happened. He is notoriously meticulous, and that translates to notoriously slow.

I’ve seen some advances. It’s worth the wait.

I’d say this one probably smarts more than other delays because it was something that had been emphasised as not going to happen this time.

Mark’s marketing tends to be quite outrageous, but in his defence, the finished product does tend to back it up, even on delayed books - I know, I read Ultimates 2 as it came out. :wink:

Having all the issues of a miniseries, or a sizable backlog of an ongoing series, completely done prior to solicitation and publication is a strategy that was SOP in the industry for decades, until it was blown up in the early '90s when retailers and readers decided to accept Todd McFarlane’s “We’re growing roses” BS (which he used to defend the late or nonexistent shipping of many early Image comics). This led to late shipping being tolerated and normalized – even, shamefully, embraced as a mark of quality. “It’ll be worth the wait” became the refrain from creators, publishers, and fans alike, based on the false rationale that the reason a given work was late was that extra time and effort were being spent on it, and it would thus be better than it would have been had it shipped on time (as opposed to the simple reality that the publisher botched the schedule).

The bottom line is this: If the publisher is on the ball, it doesn’t matter how slow an artist is to produce; the work will be published on time because the artist’s production rate will be factored into the publication timetable, which will allow enough issues to be completed beforehand to ensure timely shipping. The only acceptable excuse in this case would be if all the pages of JL2 #5 were, in fact, completed on time but most of them were somehow destroyed before they could be scanned, requiring them to be redrawn (even so, since Mr. Quitely’s production method involves drawing his layouts on the computer and printing them out to draw the final linework over them in pencil, he wouldn’t be starting entirely from scratch). Unless Mr. Millar confirms this himself, we are left to assume that he, as publisher, simply screwed the pooch. Again.

That would be the wrong assumption. You don’t know what’s going on, and it’s not something Frank or Mark are discussing publicly. They’re two individual guys making comics out of their own pocket with no support from any corporation. Sometimes shit happens in life. You can choose to simply not accept that but I think it’s worth remembering that clearly something happened that caused a delay and they’re doing what they can to get this out on time. They don’t like the delay and letting down their fans either.

Seeing in person how much Frank puts into every single panel of every single page, the endless hours and thought to produce as good a work as he possibly can, and seeing how Frank produces pages unlike what any other artist does showing us ideas and views that we’d never considered before - I think they deserve a bit of slack. I think this series has earned it.

You’re nostalgic for something that never existed, Fred.

I once had dinner with a classic comic writer/editor and one of my more curmudgeonous buddies asked him what it was like when Stan Lee used to get the Bullpen together to get an issue out the door so it wouldn’t be late. This creator flatly answered him, “Stan Lee made all of that up.” and continued previous conversation.

The truth is comic companies used to keep file stories to print when an issue was running late or just ship reprints of old material to fill space. Even that was largely because of the newsstand system that penalized them if they didn’t have issues on the shelf to sell.

In all honesty, the people most frustrated by this stuff are the creators themselves. No matter how much you plan and get ahead when it’s down to one or two people, it’s not guaranteed because shit happens. So if you want a story of any length from a consistent creative team, this is just how it goes sometimes.

Constant fan bellyaching like this is also what drives amazing creators away from the business. It keeps us all from having nice things.

I have to second this.

It’s not malicious, it’s not a conspiracy, sometimes the best laid plans go awry despite best efforts for them not to.

In a couple of years from now, the volumes of Jupiters Legacy are going to be sitting on a shelf and no one will remember the delay in the same way that no one (except for us) remembers that Watchmen was delayed.

Yes. Life happens. That’s fine. I understand. I’ll buy it when it comes out. I might even read the rest of the book again beforehand to get me in the right frame of mind. And it’ll be amazing when it does come out.

I have to admit to finding it absolutely hilarious that a Star Wars comic gets delayed by a week or two and the net erupts in displays of:

GOD! NO! NOOOOOOOO! Delayed by two weeks! Oh, the humanity! Why don’t these companies get their act together? They said 1 Feb and now it’s 15 Feb! BBAAAAASSSSSTTAAAAARRDS!

Me? Bunch of wousses wouldn’t have lasted five minutes reading Planetary.

Absolutely, US comics at least have pretty much always worked on the same timelines of 3 months or so in advance. 2000ad builds up large inventory because of the weekly frequency but that’s an exception. Here’s a mini series long before Image started up that had a replacement on the 4th issue:

What is interesting if you look back is that a full 12 issues from a single artist is rarer than you think. There were super productive guys like Jack Kirby or later John Byrne or later still Mark Bagley but our rose tinted glasses tend to remember that as the norm. Quitely has way more issues under his belt than Jim Steranko for example who could barely run more than 5 issues on anything. There are fill-ins on even John Romita Jr and Byrne’s X-Men runs.

What has changed is with the collected edition market a decision has to be made over continuity of artwork or punctuality sometimes. The Watchmen question of whether anyone cares now that the final few issues were late, compared to the mess that may have appeared if they’d put in a fill in artist.

Jim is right that we have to remember these are people and not machines, we had one person on a rant that there was replacement art on Jupiter’s Circle, that rage put into perspective when we found the reason was Wilfredo Torres had suffered a tragic bereavement. No level of planning can account for that.

As I understand it, Image has had a policy for a couple of years now where they don’t solicit a new series until the first three issues are ready to go - in part to avoid reader frustration with stuff like Nonplayer where the first issue comes out and then it’s months or years until the second.

I think that’s a good idea, as in the early stages of a new series it can really kill reader interest when issues don’t come out in a timely fashion. So it was nice to have the first three issues of this series come out on time, and get new Frank Quitely art on a monthly basis.

Personally though I don’t worry too much about when comics are coming out these days - I read them when they’re done, and until then, there’s plenty of other stuff out there to occupy me.

I take Ben’s point that this case is slightly different, as there was a specific promise that the entire series was completed before being solicited so there definitely wouldn’t be any delays. So I can understand people being disappointed in a delay. But anyone paying close attention when the series launched would have seen that it couldn’t be the case: Frank Quitely was still talking about finishing #4 and mentioned that he hadn’t started on #5 when the first issue of volume 2 came out. So we knew a delay was likely.

I think with a book like this, at this stage in the story, it’s definitely preferable to wait - and get art that’s up to the same standard as the rest of the series, rather than rushing it or getting a different artist in. As was the case with other great books that have suffered with lateness - Watchmen or Ultimates or Planetary spring to mind - once they’re complete, those scheduling problems fade away and are forgotten, but the work itself will continue to exist forever, so you want it to be as good as it can be, even if that comes at the expense of a quick release here and now.

Happily tradewaiting :slight_smile:

Seriously, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t wait for the trade with a finite series that you can 100% guarantee will be collected.

Basically anything current from a major publisher will be collected nowadays. With some titles it’s where they make most of their money.

Case in point is that Civil War from Millar and McNiven has been in the top ten of sales charts for most of the past decade, film or not. Maybe it wouldn’t have if to hit the schedules exactly they’d put in fill-in artists.