millarworld.tv Comics Creators

JLA Issue 2 CELEBRATION- CHAT WITH HITCH HERE!

Boys, girls and members of other categories. JLA 2 hits stores today and the word I’ve been getting form the editors at DC and some other choice friends and colleagues si that it trumps issue one. You can make your own minds up today but stop by and we’ll chat about it here.

Best
Hitchy

Can see you’re staying on message using Ben Affleck as your Bruce model . . .

Not directly but I guess he was in my head as was David Niven when drawing Alfred. I’f I’d really been aiming at Affleck, it would have been a much sharper likeness.

This is waiting for me in my pull box. Issue 1 was amazing. So I can’t wait to crack into 2.

Hi Bryan,

So I’ve got a few things to say/ask.

Firstly, I love this series. #1 was fantastic and everything I wanted from a Justice League comic and although I’ve only had a brief look at #2, it seems to be continuing the colourful, fun and new take on the team. Also, love the David Niven inspired Alfred, if there was one actor I would’ve loved to have seen portray Alfred, its Niven.

I was just wondering, how many issues will this ‘Rao’ arc run for?
I also read somewhere you had ideas for an arc revolving around each member of the team. I’d be fascinated to see a whole arc focusing on Aquaman or The Flash. Is this the plan for the series?

Also, will we be seeing other members joining the JLA, or will the team continue to be made up of the central 7 members?

Last question, were there any past creative teams, or particular takes, on the JLA that inspired your interpretation?

Again, fantastic work on this series, can’t wait for more.

Hey Bryan,

I loved this issue; your takes on Superman, Alfred, Aquaman and the rest are a joy to read and the plot is both exciting and well-constructed. That said, I do have one question; what inspired you to write Batman’s stance on crime in this issue considering that he is usually portrayed as someone who will attempt to save even the Joker from death?

Thanks for your time.

Well it’s more that he objected to the indiscriminate healing of the world by Rao. When healing somebody like Chill who caused so much pain for petty theft; murdered two good people for such little gain are given a second chance at life when his parents weren’t. As he says “who was God being kind to when his parents were killed?”

It’s maybe not a specific stance you’ve seen from Bruce before but I think I can justify it in the context of rapists, murderers or child molesters being saved from cancer or a traffic accident or other ‘natural’ deaths and being given more time to potentially keep doing such horrific things.

I was just wondering, how many issues will this ‘Rao’ arc run for?I also read somewhere you had ideas for an arc revolving around each member of the team. I’d be fascinated to see a whole arc focusing on Aquaman or The Flash. Is this the plan for the series?

++Have to wait and see. Yeah, I do have enough ideas to run for 50 or a 100 issues but you can burn out quickly or other temptations can rise. THis isn;t a mini series though so there are long term plans.

Also, will we be seeing other members joining the JLA, or will the team continue to be made up of the central 7 members?

++It’s the core seven guys that interest me most but I grew up with Zatanna, GA, Red Tornado etc so I’d never say never. It;s story led so if there’s a genuine need for them, I can use them.

Last question, were there any past creative teams, or particular takes, on the JLA that inspired your interpretation?

++I grew up with Dick Dillin, later Perez and of course the McGuire and Adam Hughes stuff. I’m more influenced though by big budget stuff like Waid and Ross’s Kingdom Come and Crisis. Big scale stuff but led wholly by character not just the big ideas

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

I’m so glad that you’ve decided to use this as a place to chat. Are you planning to do one after every new issue drops?

Now excuse me while I run to the comic shop.

Have you been given the freedom to use the characters without worrying about what’s going on currently in their own titles? From the story so far, it appears you have (which I think is fantastic).

Well it’s partly a practicality as I mostly wrote this before Convergence was even thought of and even as I started drawing I asked if I should reflect all the post converge changes. Dan said no as, likely as not, those changes wouldn’t be permanent but a flow of stores in their titles. My JLA should be it’s own story not one that has to be slaved to other writers’ stories. You can imagine it takes place in a specific new 52 time if it helps settle minds but I think of it as having it’s own internal continuity, issue to issue; arc to arc.

Dan also said that if we did multiple arc and collections they should be the only ones you need to read without having to pick up a volume of Superman or Batman to explain why they look different. We all know Bruce is Batman, Hal is GL, Barry is Flash and Clark is Superman’s secret ID; they are core principles so that’s what I’m working with here. Whilst the stores in individual titles may wander from that at times, it will ultimately circle back and I’d like these to be as timeless as possible.

B

THat’s the plan!

It’s how I dreamed comics should be written :cry: ( <- tears of happiness)

I have to second David on this - that’s great to hear, and the best possible approach for these kinds of books I think.

Okay, I just read the issue and I enjoyed it a lot. I’m glad you’re not shoving a fight into every issue, and that you spent time showing how the world reacted to Rao.

Batman is pretty great in this, I think you make him the right shade of dark and cynical.

Plus, 27 story pages with only two ads for $3.99? That’s great value. Are you going to make any of these things normal length?

DC are being very forgiving about the page counts. To be honest, I can remember the last time I did a 20-22 page issue. Ultimates were 26-41 pages, Reborn and FF too; AGP was ten issues of pages in seven books; RH likewise. Mostly nobody notices except that the extra pages of course take extra days and it mounts up to be a late book eventually.

I should learn from that!

I haven’t read issue 2 but the hefty page count in issue 1 lent to a really enjoyable experience.

One of my favorite Batman moments in a long time :slight_smile:

That’s an interesting point of view; thanks for your answer. Loved that scene with Aquaman.