Comics Creators

Jessica Jones - Netflix series discussion

But you’re proving your own argument false. Alias wasn’t allowed to do whatever it wanted and it turned out the better for it. Hell, Bendis wanted it to star Jessica Drew at first. It’s those restrictions that feed creativity. So they couldn’t use Carol Danvers. So what? Trish works perfectly well, is another MU character that’s given a much better refit than she might have had otherwise and her presence doesn’t needlessly tread on the toes of an up-coming movies.

Do you really think this show would have been improved by what, Captain America wandering past at some point? Thor swooping in out of nowhere to save the day? It already has a host of other Marvel characters in there - any more and you unbalance the series and detract from its main character. It’s just needless fan-wankery that builds up this impenetrable lattice of continuity barring many people from getting into the story.

On a more practical point, it costs money. If you want, say, Scarlet Witch to turn up and get beaten up, you’ve still got to pay Elisabeth Olsen to turn up (and that’s even if she’s not too busy to do it), costume her, stretch the effects budget to match how her powers are depicted in the movies, get approval on all of that from the movie side, which takes time at every stage. All for something that would take away from Jessica’s story rather than add to it.

Then we’re back to the earlier point; why say they’re connected at all?

If showing those connections is too much trouble, what does the statement that they’re all in the MCU actually accomplish?

It saves them time on world building I think.

And you have the contrast between the high profile, super-slick Avengers and the more down at heel characters in the Netflix series so far (…they may go with the Kung Fu Billionaire take on Iron Fist and ruin my analogy).

That’s why I’ve not been overly disappointed with the fights in Jessica Jones, as compared with Daredevil (as some people were). These are people who happened into superpowers. They didn’t necessarily immediately go to martial arts training. So, they may be terrible fighters. In fact their only advantage going into a fight may be their superpowers will compensate for a lack of skill.

(Mental note: Luke Cage versus a really good Jujitsu guy would be a good idea).

Overall I think that these things have to stand on their own as well. A couple of references here and there are nice for the fans, but if you make everything too intertwined, it becomes…I’m trying to find a reference other than late 1990’s X-men and am failing. It basically becomes that thing where you have references to support the connection rather than to support the story.

World building is a really good point. Branding is also a part of it. You get at least some people that will tune in simply because it’s a Marvel show, you connect it enough so that they can say, “Yeah, I remember that/know what she’s talking about!” and you keep them with the quality of the product. The interconnectedness is part of what the Marvel brand is, for people. And I think at this point they know it’s not going to be direct connections (even the movies sidestep that between sub-franchises), but it’s connected enough so that, like I said, it will appeal to the people that want it and not drive away the people that don’t.

To me, it’s like saying, “Here’s dinner, and by the way, I’ve got some more food in my fridge… but I’m not going to serve it to you, I’m just telling you it’s there.”

But that’s better than someone inviting you over for steak but insisting on pouring custard on bits of it.

(I think I might be stretching this metaphor past breaking point.)

I think that it is more accurate to say that you invited it in, hit it over the head and waterboarded it. :smiley:

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you would like a little bit more connection rather than all connections all of the time? Is that fair? I don’t want to misrepresent you.

It could be that they are still a little unsure creatively about how much of that they can get away with. I’m guessing that it is something that we will see more of as Marvel get more comfortable over the next couple of years and if they can do it in a cool way without impacting storytelling.

Pretty much. They seem to be avoiding more than exploring, which strikes me as a waste of potential.

It’s not just ‘Jessica Jones’. When I saw ‘Daredevil’, as much as I liked it, it did seem to be a show that didn’t want to be part of a world where aliens have invaded and billionaires can fly around in metal suits. Not until the final episode.

I’m fascinated to see what they do with season 2.

So you’re saying that Bendis’ Alias was more successful BECAUSE he was limited creatively while I believe he was successful DESPITE the creative limitations and Alias would have been even more awesome if he was allowed to do as he saw fit.
I think even Marvel would agree that restricting Bendis was not in the best interests of Alias, however they had to do it to protect their big names and that they were happy that Bendis still pulled it off.

I saw the last episode this evening. My overall thoughts are that the show was terribly padded. By introducing Tennant so early in the game, the show became one false climax after another (a) we find a way to track and otherwise immobilise Kilgrave b) we succeed c) everything goes south and someone dies d) wash rinse repeat . One of the smart things that Daredevil did was to keep Fisk offscreen for the first couple of episodes. You hear about him. You see how scared people are of him before you ever see him in the flesh. I felt that there was a lot of flailing about in the writers room to figure out how to keep momentum over the 13 episodes when the show could have been done in half that.

I can’t fault any of the actors. They were all really good. And I’m bizarrely proud to see Patsy Walker make it into the MCU. I got to spend a long time explaining to my wife who Patsy Walker is in the comics. Mostly she got caught up in the fact that she had married the Son of Satan, and was wondering how anyone could think that was a good idea.

I can see the story that they were trying to tell here. And I applaud them for doing something like this in an ostensibly superhero type show. However I am maybe veering more to @steveuk’s way of thinking. Maybe more of a touchpoint with the rest of the MCU would have given us more texture. One of the things about Alias was that Jessica was the Marvel Universe’s go to PI (before Jamie Madrox that is). So there was a rich vein of weirdness and absurdity to mine in that comic. And her best friend was a superhero.

Maybe that would have helped to lift it.

^This is the real reason. Let’s not pretend that it was done for the good of the show or something…

I finished it - I liked it, but it probably wasn’t quite as good as Daredevil - equally compelling though.

Thoughts: Kilgrave is a great villain, and while he dose A LOT of nasty shit, I was always waiting for his one big master-stroke - which never really happened. Controlling the people on the docks was as close to it as we got.

Simpson turning into Nuke came out of left field, and the subsequent IGH connection to Jessica/Kilgrave seems pretty convenient.

The B and C plots with Malcolm, the Siblings, Jeri and her wife/mistress, seemed all a little malnourished. Compared to the stuff with Vanessa and Urich in Daredevil at least. And some characters appeared to not really have a specific focus - like the detective, the IGH doctor, Jerri’s mistress etc, although the IGH stuff does seem to be a set up for future drama.

Leaves me wondering what you would do with a second season. Happy to see more Patsy at least.

So, I’m slowly working my way through the episodes. I say slowly because this show… frustrates me. There are certain beats that keep repeating and it’s starting to grate. I’m going to finish, but right now, it is a slog.

Just finished. Loved it. I think it’s exactly what the supes genre needs, and I can’t wait to see what comes next. I hope it’s a major hit.

Is Jessica Jones’ Kilgrave The MCU’s Best Villain?

No, Loki is still the best.

Silly, Rabbit.

You mean Red Skull.