millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Jessica Jones - Netflix series discussion

Thank goodness! Head-and-shoulders the best Marvel Netflix show IMHO. Luke Cage is the only other series I finished. The other three (and the group effort) are so one-demensional…

It’s so interesting how polarizing these shows are…Everyone has a different “top” series. I’ve heard that JJ is the worst, or the best, same with Cage, Punisher, and DD. I think universally everyone agrees that “Defenders” is the worst.
Since I love to rank, here’s my list:

• Punisher . Not an ounce of fat on it. Just good storytelling.
    -Daredevil Season 1
    -Daredevil Season 2 - great 1st half, weird 2nd half
    -Jessica Jones - boring first half, great second half
    -Luke Cage. Decent first half, ridiculous second half
    -Defenders. C’mon.

What, you’renot even ranking Iron Fist? That’s harsh, man!

My list would be almost the same, only:

• Daredevil Season 1
  • Punisher
  • Daredevil Season 2
  • Jessica Jones
  • Defenders
  • Luke Cage
  • Iron Fist

And I honestly thought about putting IF over LC there.

As for JJ returning… well, they’re focusing on Jessica being prissy all the time, and that already was annoying me pretty quickly in the first season. So, I don’t know. I’ll watch, but they better have a proper story that’s less repetitive than last time or I’m out.

I think that’s part of it, but I also don’t think the character was transferred accurately. Jessica was a tough, no-nonsense kind of person and had little patience, but TV Jessica is just bitchy all the time, and the casting doesn’t help where that is concerned.

It’d have been easy to have Jessica be more likeable in spite of her cynical streak, they just messed that up.

We made it to about ep 5 of JJ S1 and just couldn’t summon up the enthusiasm to go back. Part of it I think is a lack of stuff like this that is great in the comic:

Honestly, forgot Iron Fist existed.

Lucky you! :wink:

I agree, the characterisation was quite a shift from the comic.

Also, (and I think I might have said this before), I think focusing on Killgrave as the first story for the character was a mistake. It ends up defining her in a way that the comic was careful not to do. Instead, we got to know (and like) Jessica as a character for a long time before the dark episode with Killgrave from her past was fully revealed.

In the TV series, it feels like it’s all that she is, to a great extent.

I had the advantage of not having read the comic. I took it that she has PTSD following the pre-show Killgrave events. She’s still trying to work out the terrible things she suffered, and made other people suffer.

Yes she does, and that’s sad, but as I said before; I’ll like her more when she stops getting people killed.

The reason why she’s messed up is tragic, but she’s not just messed up, she’s bloody dangerous.

Yeah, that was probably the biggest problem with the first season. And even with the decision to go with KG for season 1, they could easily have taken half the season to build up to him. Instead they introduced him immediately, and there was no room to show Jessica doing her job, and being a normal person. Also, the season was heavily repetitive because of it, with Killgrave getting away again and again and yawn.

I’d go with…

1/ Daredevil 1 - very nearly got things heading in a Sopranos-With-Superheroes direction but unfortunately descended into something less ambitious with the final episode, which seems to have set the tone for all that followed

2/ Punisher - very consistent and lacked any characters that made me want to scream in frustration at their existence, although never at the heights of Daredevil 1 at its best

BIG GAP

3/ Jessica Jones - good characters for the most part (except the neighbours), David Tennant was great but the story was poorly constructed over the 13 episode length

4/ Daredevil 2 - loved the Punisher stuff for the most part but good grief did the second half ever suck… honestly, who makes ninjas seem lame?

GIANT GAP

5/ Luke Cage - at first it was boring and then it was stupid.

HUGE GREAT BIG MASSIVE BLACK HOLE OF A GAP

6/ Defenders - hey, this one has Danny Rand!

7/ Iron Fist - hey, this one has Danny Rand!

huh I didn’t realise Defender was so hated… I quite liked it. =/

I enjoyed Defenders very much.
The only ones so far I disliked was Daredevil Season 2 and Iron Fist.

I haven’t gotten far into the Punisher because he’s one of the reasons I disliked Daredevil Season 2.

(And no this doesn’t mean I liked the previous incarnations “better.” Sorry, for the snap .For some reason people think not having a hard on for the Berenthal Punisher means I love the others. I find that irksome.)

Eh it’s okay, I do like War Zone :smile:

I liked Netflix Punisher, but didn’t love it… it was an okay series.

Poor Iron Fist… :smile:

I hope that producer is out, he already fucked up 2 series, that should be quite enough.

1. Daredevil Season 1
  2. Daredevil Season 2
  3. Defenders
  4. Iron Fist
  5. Jessica Jones
  6. Luke Cage

We’re mid-way through Punisher at the moment. It’s okay. It’ll probably rank higher than JJ if it carries on the way it has.

The weird thing about that is that Defenders is basically Daredevil Season 2 with added Iron Fist.

I mean, seriously - DD S2 was, after the Punisher was gone all about the hand, as was Defenders. And the hand and Electra were both incredibly lame in both series. And Defenders was basically a continuation of that DD storyline, only with the other heroes, and Danny Rand was the one who was really important to the plot.

Anyway, that’s what Defenders basically was to me: the things I didn’t like about Daredevil’s second season.

In season 2 Daredevil became a glass shadow of himself to let the Punisher shine. It was classic jobbing for the new guy. Daredevil didn’t job to anyone in Defenders.

Ah, okay, if that’s what bothered you that makes sense. Did you like the second part of DD S2 better, then?