millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Jessica Jones - Netflix series discussion

He always had countermeasures in place. Someone ordered to commit suicide if he doesn’t call in 20 minutes. Stuff like that. At that point, they just had to risk it.

Agreed. I mean, if the only point of her existence was to free Kilgrave when he was being held at Jessica’s apartment then I think they could’ve done it in a more creative fashion.

I think it was implied that Riva was part of the whole IGH experiment team

Still, I thought the same. I mean, if headphones work, Jess should always have had a pair of them ready in case she needs them. After all, she did catch him by surprise a few times, and that’s just what you would do. It also doesn’t make a lot of sense - I thought the point was that his control was a biological virus here (in the book it was pheromones, right?), which is why his voice doesn’t work over the phone and the like.

The virus makes you suspectable to doing what he wants.
You still have to hear him give the order.

Why hear? If you see his lips spell “stop”, surely you understand?

Anyway, if it’s just a case of headphones, it’s just stupid that Jessica didn’t buy some for Trish and Luke and so on right away when they decided to go after him.

If you know how to lipread and are looking right at him.

That’s why I gave the example of “stop”. You don’t have to know how to lipread to understand that. One syllable, mouth open with a big vowel, then a “p”, plus context. No way you wouldn’t understand that.

It’s a possibility.
But not one we can do a practical test for.

There’s also the chance that you wouldn’t obey if you didn’t u xerstand English.

That’s it! Why the hell didn’t Jessica think of hiring a bunch of Frenchmen?!

Everyone in the world speaks English.

Cause she didn’t want them to run away!

Clearly, you’ve never been to France.

They speak English, they just pretend not to.

Can’t blame them, either. I mean, all they ask for is for everybody in the world to learn French, or alternatively shut up. What’s so hard about that?

So, the Purple Man has a high midichlorian count?

In my superhero RPG, the team met a Kilgrave-like villain, and he was meant to take over the most powerful player character (a guy in an Iron Man type suit) to give the rest of the characters a tough fight. The armoured character just said, “I’ll turn off my external sound pickups. The suit is sealed, I can’t hear him.” It took the player all of 30 seconds to figure it out. Comics (and TV) characters are really dumb compared with real people..

Here’s what Anthony Russo said today proving definitely that Marvel TV is not actually a part of the MCU:

“It is a smaller scale version of the problem that exists when remembering that Fox holds the rights to some of Marvel’s most popular characters, as does Sony and others.” continued Russo. “As storytellers, we only have control over what happens in Marvel movies, but everything is possible, Spider-Man (whose rights were held by Sony) became possible!”

He literally just said that Marvel TV is as much a part of the MCU as the Fox made Fantastic Four or the Sony made Spidermans. In other words: they’re NOT.

Don’t be a blind supporter. When fans voice what they want you get a better product than when fans blindly approve everything Marvel does.

On the other hand, some of the worst ideas in comics have come from fans-turned-professionals following up their pet fanboy theories.

Sometimes, you need an actual professional who understands what makes a good story rather than just sounds like a good story to step back and look dispassionately at what fans are asking for and say, “No, that’s a crap idea.”

Cough Geoff Johns Cough

If you look at those guys from the Silver Age (and I realise that I’m preaching to the choir here), those guys were largely career writers/artists. If westerns were selling, they wrote westerns. If it was romance…you get my drift. And there is a great energy to a lot of that stuff. They knew how to tell a story. And no idea was too wild, I suppose because they didn’t need to worry about marrying it up to 70 years of continuity. I’m not saying that there was anything wrong with when the likes of Jim Shooter or Elliot S! Maggin became writers, but I think that a lot of the superhero comics today could learn a lot from the Silver Age.