millarworld.tv Comics Creators

It would have been a better movie if... (rewrites, recasting, etc. )

I read some movie critiques here and hope to open this thread for some good dialogue. Here goes…

Cinemax aired the Robocop movies back to back and you can see the fall off in quality. The first script made for great satire, scifi, exploration into Murphy’s humanity etc. Unfortunately, in Robocop 2, Frank Miller did not get into those aspects further and it was just a cyborg battle in the end.

Mission Impossible franchise is not like the original series. I would get rid of Cruise, bring in a talented cast of characters and revolve the action around the team , not just one guy. That was the series back in the day, and that is how it really should be.

SW ROTJ would have been better if they got rid of the Ewoks and I don’t have the time right now for the prequels…

I don’t want to go on right now and take away from other MWers, but you should get the point by now. Pick a movie or franchise you have in mind, think of what changes in casting, writing, or directing you would have made and take it from there.

Have you read the comic based on Miller’s script? It’s insane (in a good way). It’s also totally unfilmable on the budget and effects available at the time. Thats often the problem with dream casting or “what if” fantasies about movies - there’s no way in hell any of it would ever happen, no matter how many alternative universes you think exist.

[quote=“alx, post:1, topic:1162, full:true”]Pick a movie or franchise you have in mind, think of what changes in casting, writing, or directing you would have made and take it from there.
[/quote]

I like the initiative in starting new threads but isn’t this literally about 90% of what we do here?

We do it more often before we’ve even seen the film though to be fair.

Yeah, I meant past films where you walked away somewhat disappointed and felt something was missing.
i.e. Sofia Copolla in Godfather 3 and that whole Vatican storyline, Superman 3 and 4, Katie Holmes, Bales Batman voice and Banes voice, Matrix 2 and 3. I could go on and on and on.

He has a point, nobody has raised any of those issues before.

Be prepared to be shocked by mine:

The boots in Man of Steel were the wrong shade of red.

I think The Untouchables would have been better if they had set it in the present day, focused more on Elliott Ness’ daughter as a baby, got Leonard Nimoy to direct it, and cast Steve Guttenberg, Tom Selleck and Ted Danson instead of Kevin Costner.

And changed the name.

That sounds like something that deserves a sequel except the girl is no longer a baby but a young child.

My Best Friend’s Wedding would have been better if the genders were switched.
Doing so makes it a much better critique on RomComs

It is interesting that most of you always got something to say about a movie, but now that there is a thread exclusively devoted to it you can’t come up with anything.

MWers never cease to amaze me.

I think it’s more like when it comes up naturally…you got the juices already going.

But when you’re aiming for it, ya miss.

It’s the yips.

You got a point there Tom.

This thread did go far in the old forum though, maybe not this time around.

Man of Steel would have been better if Superman didn’t execute Zod at the climax.

Captain America would have been a better movie if Cap had executed Red Skull at the climax.

Man of Steel would have been better if they paid Mark Waid to do a rewrite.

Prometheus would have been a better movie if they had got the colour of the Space Jockey right.

Ant Man would have been better if Edgar Wright had done it.

Or just gone on a holiday to Iceland and not tried to make a movie.

The one that got me was another Ridley Scott film, ‘Body of Lies’. They hired Russell Crowe and he played his role as a poor copy of Chris Cooper in ‘The Bourne Identity’ and ‘Syriana’.

They’d have done better to just hire Chris Cooper. He’s probably cheaper than Crowe too.

Star Wars would have been a better movie if Luke Skywalker didn’t execute every single person on the Death Star at the climax.

It would have been better if he’d done that during Episode I though, right?