millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Is Ryan Reynolds now a major movie star after Deadpool?

Chris Pine Chris Pined himself. Chris Pratt has Guardians 2, but has otherwise done likewise with his last couple choices and if he really does that 1930s movie about bootlegging might never be seen again.

But what about Reynolds? I’ve always really liked him. I never saw Van Wilder but I saw the trailer and had him pegged as funny and likeable. I also LOVED him as Hannibal king. But Deadpool is his first real hit. Will it carry over into other movies or is Deadpool like a typical Marvel movie where the brand gives no future guarantees for the actor in other picture?

Genuinely curious.

MM

He has ALWAYS been a star… :wink:

I didn’t think he deserved a Hollywood star.

Is it always fluid if you do the right jobs?

I’m thinking about Kevin Costner who could do no wrong when he picked a series of great films and then got dropped like a stone after they started to suck (although now seeing a renaissance).

I never disliked Reynolds for any reason, Green Lantern was the worst film I have seen in the cinema for a decade though I think.

I’m not so sure. Recently, he had some movie with Kevin Costner that tanked.

I think it we will need to see how movies with him in the lead do post-Deadpool.

He has the spring board.

I’d place him on Jack Black level.

I actually think he’s made it pretty clear that he cannot carry a movie alone. Like most other leading men, he’s only a star if the character is really the star. He can certainly get some movies made, but he won’t be the major selling point for a blockbuster.

Production budget: $26 Million
Worldwide Box Office: $33 Million

When it comes to non-Deadpool properties, it does seem like he goes for some very off-the-wall ideas (Voices, The Nines). He’s like Ryan Gosling and Jake Gyllenhall (both of them star in the upcoming SF movie LIFE) in that regard. However, I think he really shines when he’s paired with strong women leads like Sandra Bullock in THE PROPOSAL and Helen Mirren in WOMAN IN GOLD. He’s a great partner in those situations.

He’s no more a movie star than Toby Maguire or Andrew Garfield are stars. The character is the star, not the actor. Even the likes of RDJ and Johnny Depp can’t open a movie outside of their main character.

I think we’ve seen the last of the movie stars - those who can open a movie based on their name alone. We still need big name actors for press and getting our attention, but I don’t think we’ll have anyone new who can carry a movie by their name alone, no matter what the concept it. Tom Cruise and The Rock seem to be the last two who could potentially carry anything they’re in.

C[quote=“BeingHenning, post:7, topic:9450, full:true”]
I actually think he’s made it pretty clear that he cannot carry a movie alone. Like most other leading men, he’s only a star if the character is really the star. He can certainly get some movies made, but he won’t be the major selling point for a blockbuster.

Production budget: $26 MillionWorldwide Box Office: $33 Million

When it comes to non-Deadpool properties, it does seem like he goes for some very off-the-wall ideas (Voices, The Nines). He’s like Ryan Gosling and Jake Gyllenhall (both of them star in the upcoming SF movie LIFE) in that regard. However, I think he really shines when he’s paired with strong women leads like Sandra Bullock in THE PROPOSAL and Helen Mirren in WOMAN IN GOLD. He’s a great partner in those situations.
[/quote]

We don’t talk about Self/less on here…broke my heart when I saw the trailer!!!

This is very true, but at the same time I think that is something the production studios and companies wanted to happen. Tom Cruise, Arnold and Willis were all made stars by a very strong system designed to do that. However, no matter how much that might help sell a movie, you can’t really “own” your stars as well as you can the properties.

Ehhhh

I’ll say Tom Cruise.
The Rock carries some weight, but it’s not as much as Cruise.

F&F are still Vin’s game and the increasing nostalgia over early 00’s non-self awareness.
And his other ventures need Kevin Hart…apparently.

It’s tough. What’s strange is that you would see a lot of low-budget scripts for that idea all over the place in the 90’s. Some of them were quite good - hell, Frankenheimer did it with SECONDS in 1966, really. However, SELF/LESS was pretty much the worse of all the potential movies that had that idea.

Yet Edge of Tomorrow (or Live, Die, Repeat) was a great film and barely scraped a profit. I think star value is still there, we look at casts when deciding but maybe there is nobody now who can carry a film alone.

Kevin Hart like Adam Sandler can only do what he currently does - he’s not a movie star as he couldn’t open any other kind of movie.

Maybe Keanu. There’s alot of love for Keanu.

They were essentially brands, and the studios have figured out that rather than create a brand around an actor, they just create a character and run with it. Thinking about the other thread where you take the movies of one star to the desert island, Arnie had a historic run with Conan, Predator, Running Man, Total Recall, Terminator, Commando, Twins & True Lies. Made him the biggest star in the world. He made those movies into hits as the public wanted to see more and more of him. In today’s market he wouldn’t get to make those movies, instead he’d be busy filming Predator 3 and Running Man 4. True profit is in franchise sequels - it’s the safest investment, and that’s where things are going to stay. Tome Cruise had a similar arc - Top Gun, Risky Business, Cocktail, Color of Money, Rain Man, The Firm, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire. A different franchise every year. You wouldn’t get an actor having those types of opportunities any more.

Without that long list of different movies actors can’t escape the one role that made them a star. Chris Pratt is pretty much done now - he’s had Starlord and he never got his second franchise, his Indiana Jones.

I think Kevin Hart can enjoy luxury by becoming the black Larry David.

Real Husbands of Hollywood is very much Curb Your Enthusiasm for the UPN generation.

Hart and Sandler and Ferrell can do well because comedies generally have low budgets. Their takings outside the US are pretty poor but that’s okay for their model.

He has Jurassic World but unfortunately for him, all people care about are CGI dinosaurs. He could be replaced by a different actor and no one would care.

Tom Hiddleston will be Loki to he dies. He’s tried so many different things but they have all tanked. I think he is hoping Kong: Skull Island takes off for him but all anyone will care about there is a CGI monkey.

Loki is a supplemental character. What has he tried as a lead?

In TV on the Night Manager he did a great audition for James Bond.

I was just about to say, the Night Manager was very good.

I watched a weird movie on the plane last week called Central Intelligence where the comedy was given to The Rock and Kevin Hart was the straight man. I like both actors and thought I’d enjoy the movie, but this was a really weird decision. Stuck it off maybe 50 mins in and watched Veep.

MM