millarworld.tv Comics Creators

iPad??????

Does anyone on here use an iPad for artwork? I’m thinking of getting one, but I’m not sure it will make a big enough difference to make it worth it.

Currently I’m liking working in regular pencil, scanning, turning the pencils blue, printing, inking, scanning again, and finally colouring in photoshop. I’ve actually only done that exact process once so far, but I’m really digging it.

I could see using an iPad to make adjustments to the pencils and inks, and to colour. I guess one thing that would make the biggest difference in my decision would be how layers would work, since I wouldn’t be able to use photoshop on the iPad and, if I’m correct, would just be using adobe sketch.

So I’d love to hear from anyone regarding their use of an iPad.

Thanks

0 Likes

My wife uses one for her hand lettering artwork. She really likes it. You will want one that is compatible with the Apple Pencil or other pressure sensitive styluses.

1 Like

Clip studio pro is magic and the new release of photoshop covers all your bases.
I bought the old one a month before the new version and regret it but it suits my skill set at the moment

1 Like

My wife got the old non-Pro iPad and the first generation of the Apple Pencil and still really likes it.

0 Likes

Nice. I’m thinking of getting the latest iPad, and the Adonit pixel pen.

0 Likes

I love photoshop. I have the adobe monthly subscription, or whatever that’s called, where you pay every month but always have the most up to date version of photoshop. That’s why I’m still not positive I should bother with and iPad. I’d love to get a wacom cintiq since it can run photoshop, but the price is out of my league.

1 Like

Before the iPad, my wife got a Wacom Intuos (one of their less expensive models) that she still uses and really likes.

1 Like

It depends how you create your pages. There’s a lot of YouTube videos with some top level artists doing some amazing things. Have a look and see if it’s right for you

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll definitely do some research, just thought there might be some people making comic art on an iPad here who would share their experiences.

0 Likes

I’ve been using it for basic stuff like character design to forward to artists & layouts. But the potential is definitely there.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

0 Likes

I’ve been using my Ipadpro a lot more recently

you can do some cool stuff in procreate. its a 1 time fee too.
Captain Marvel sketch timelapse

2 Likes

Cool. I like the image above, and the time lapse video was really cool too. My friends band gave me a amazon card as a thank you for some art I did for them. Used it to get an iPad, but just the regular one, which might drive me crazy for being so small. I couldn’t afford anything bigger, but for the price I hear nothing can beat it. Now I just have to get down to Seattle to pick it up at my aunts house. Hopefully next weekend.

1 Like

Thanks man! I’m still teaching myself stuff. You’ll love the Ipad even if its small. And the new Ipads are all pretty powerful now. Its nice to have to carry around and work on. I got a Samsung note 9 recently and use it for doing art too. I can’t wait to see what tech will come out in the next few years.

1 Like

I’m pretty excited they’re going to be bringing a full version of photoshop to the iPad some time this year. It didn’t say anywhere that it would only be on the pro, so I’m assuming I’ll be able to run it on my non-pro version. In the meantime I’ll get procreate, looks like a fun app and is a really decent price.

1 Like

You should be fine with your Ipad. I heard about photoshop coming. I hope its a full version. I’m so cheap though now I won’t pay for it if its a monthly fee LOL Procreate is really good for the price. You can even get Autodesk sketch book too . I haven’t used it that much but from the experiments I did with it its really good too.

1 Like

So I got my iPad. I’m very happy with it. I love working on the glass surface. So smooth, such clean lines. It always appealed to me how old matte painters in film worked on glass, now I get to too. Here’s what I’ve done so far; I digitally inked and coloured this sketch…

and I did this…

Bothe of these were super fun to work on. Definitely a worthwhile investment. The only thing I regret is I couldn’t afford the iPad pro, but I guess that’s why it’s called the pro, you gotta actually be making money to afford it :rofl:

7 Likes

Love that Hilda sketch.

1 Like

Looks good! I knew you’d enjoy it. awesome to have a digital pad to work on the go.

0 Likes

Yeah I’m loving even just being able to work on this stuff in the living room. I’ve got 2 little kids so my work revolves around their schedule. After I finally get them in bed I usually do a little bit of work, then watch about an hour of television with the wife, then do more work. That last bit of work feels more like relaxing when I can do it on the couch, which is great.

3 Likes