millarworld.tv Comics Creators

International Women's Day

As it’s international women’s day today, let’s have a topic on who your favourite female comic book characters and writers are :slight_smile:

For me, I’m a Marvel fan girl and love the X-Force ladies, but favourite female character has got to be Mystique. Hit-Girl comes a pretty close second though, as you don’t get more badass than her!

I really like what I’ve seen of Empress so far. Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel, Jane Foster as Thor in Mighty Thor and the new Black Widow book are been pretty great too.

Fiona Staples and Becky Cloonan are probably my favorite female comic creators.

I adore Ms Marvel, its always at the top of my ‘to read’ pile from Marvel.

Fiona Staples right now is the best comics artist in North America, she’s that good.

G Willow Wilson’s Air is one of my favorite Vertigo books.

Nicola Scott (and MW veteran!) is doing the best work of her career on Black Magick with Greg Rucka. Her art in that book is some of the best on the stands.

I will always have a special place in my heart for She-Hulk.

Oh crap. How could I mention Ms. Marvel and leave out G. Willow Wilson. She’s pretty great.

Do you have any favorite female creators, @AikiSaul?

Oh yeh forgot to add that in lol. At the moment, Wilson and Marguerite Bennett, but can’t talk about female comic writers without mentioning the awesome Gail Simone :slight_smile:

Always had a soft spot for Rogue. Rogue - just Rogue. Not “Marie”. Not the chick who was so oddly hung up on Gambit. Rogue.

The Rogue who had Carol Danvers’ Captain Mar-Vell powers. The Rogue who took on Sauron one-to-one and kicked his ass. The Rogue of “The Dark Phoenix” animated X-Men. The Rogue who called you “sugah” whilst punching you through a wall.

That Rogue!

NOT played by The Piano chick who runs like a girl!

Ahh 90s Rogue. Yup I love her too! In fact she’s one of the many characters I cosplay :slight_smile:

Great thread idea.

My current favourite female comic characters are Rachel Beck from Rachel Rising & Martha Cypress from Revival.
My all time favourites are probably Judge Anderson, Halo Jones, Matha Washington & Renee Montoya.

Long term and current favourite female writer is Gail Simone, who is currently hitting it out the park with Clean Room. I’m also loving what Becky Cloonan is doing with Southern Cross.

Artist has to be Fiona Staples, who I’m sure will be a popular choice. I’m also loving Nicola Scott’s work on
Black Magic, it’s amazing and I can’t wait for the trade collection.

I also loved The Huntress, but not in her current depiction, either in the comics or Arrow.

Nice idea for a thread.

Favourite female characters include (off the top of my head) Halo Jones, the new Ms Marvel, Velvet Templeton, Forever from Lazarus, Jessica Jones, Promethea, Jo from Fatale, Abby Arcane, and Sandman’s Death.

Female creators: G Willow Wilson, Tula Lotay and Fiona Staples at the moment, as well as Ann Nocenti (although I haven’t kept up with her latest work very well - must remedy that).

I think, in about a year, maybe less, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott’s co-created characters in Black Magick are going to hit cosplay big time. Rowan Black, for absolute sure. And there is stuff for the guys, as well. It builds, Aiki, it builds!

Echo everyone, great thread idea.

For me, current creators: Gail Simone (obvious, but I don’t care), Becky Cloonan, Nicola Scott.

All time: Ann Nocenti, Weezy Simonson, Wendy Pini (yes I know some of them are still working in some capacity, but I’m thinking of stuff they did when I was a kid)

Characters, both current and all-time: Storm (the greatest of all X-Men), Dizzy Cordova (100 Bullets), Red Sonja, Forever Carlyle (Lazarus), Vanessa Fisk, Dani Moonstar (in 80s New Mutants), Mantis, Enid and Rebecca (Ghost World), Maggie and Hopey (Love and Rockets).

Cool thread!

Creators: Alison Bechdel, Carla Speed McNeil, Becky Cloonan, Colleen Doran, Emma Rios, Emily Carroll, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Fiona Staples, Jill Thompson, Eleanor Davis, G. Willow Wilson.

Characters: Death (Sandman), Edith Manning (The Invisibles), Lord Fanny (The Invisibles), Agent 355, Tara Chace (Queen & Country), Forever (Lazarus), Thorn (Bone), Tulip (Preacher), Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Renee Montoya, Batwoman (Kate Kane), Zatanna, Elektra, Emma Frost, Catwoman, Talia al Ghul, Jubilee, Jakita Wagner (Planetary), U-Go Girl & Dead Girl (X-Statix)

One of the greatest of all time - Jenny Sparks.

Not near as easy as it was made to look!

Deunan Knute:

Motoko Kusanagi:

stan pollock uploaded this image to

Kei from Akira:

The Dirty Pair:

Female creators: CLAMP, Rumiko Takahashi, Gina Biggs, Gail Simone, Jennie Breeden, Trudi Canavan, Chloé C, Becky Cloonan, Kate Beaton

If we’re being honest there’s only one greatest of all time.

Ooo Halo Jones! She’s awesome :smiley:

This is a great idea for a thread. Happy International Women’s Day.

My favourite female characters would be Dex Parios (Stumptown), Tara Chace (Queen and Country), Kate Spenser (Manhunter) and Susan Storm Richards (The Invisible Woman).

As for creators - I have a lot of time for Gail Simone as a writer.

In the Future Shock documentary Leah Moore mentions that her father (Alan Moore) has told her how that story would have continued and ended (obviously it didn’t happy for various reasons)…What wouldn’t you give to hear that pitch?

I’m sure Neil Gaiman said he knows the ending too, but sadly no-one wants to cross that line :frowning: