millarworld.tv Comics Creators

I'm New to Millarworld/Comics. What Should I Read?

Pretty new to comics, unless you include the Beano?!

Read Supercrooks and loved it. What should I read next?

Welcome to Millarworld - Now Introduce Yourself!

Try one or two of Mark Millar’s other series: Jupiter’s Legacy and Starlight are among his most recent and best titles, but you really can’t go wrong with any of the books advertised in the back pages of his comics.

If you liked Supercrooks, Mark did another book with the same artist called Superior, which is a really nice story.

We definitely include the Beano.

The pinned weekly comics thread and the trade paperback thread are always good places to get recomendations. I dread to think how much I’ve spent over the years based on MillarWorld recomendations!!!

E, don’t spend money on my stuff. I’ll shoot you the best books down.

PS Emma’s helping us out with some modding stuff. See, this is why it’s a dream gig to be a mod. YOU GET FREE SHIT!!!

I have a soft spot for A Chump at Oxford. To this day I can’t hear Pop goes the weasel without smiling.

Do Ambassadors get anything? Just asking…

No, you just have to hand these out:

Something I never thought I’d see. :wink:

Maybe someone should call an ambulance.

I thought that was the point, spending money on Mark’s stuff! :wink: Ironically Supercrooks is the last book on my Millarworld checklist so hurry up and write more, I’m catching up. :sunglasses:

Did you have on the list Red Son, Old Man Logan, American Jesus, both the runs of Ultimate Fantastic Four and the Fantastic Four monthlies by Mark and Bryan Hitch? Ultimate X-Men if we’re going back!

Every time I think I’ve got Mark’s bibliography complete, something else pops up! For instance, I quite liked his story in DC’s JLA One Million Annual.

Outside of the official “Millarworld” list, I’ve got Redson, Old man Logan, and Civil War. Ultimate Fantastic Four and X-Men are on my shopping list when I pick up Jupiter’s Circle #4. :thumbsup:

I will always sing the praises of Marvel 1985 (with Tommy Lee Edwards) as well. It has supervillains invading the real world back in 1985, and the only person who can do anything about it is the kid who reads comics and his wastrel father. It is like a love letter to comics that we loved as a child and 1980’s Spielberg movies. It is one of my favourite things that Mark has done.

It’s funny that my rep is violent/ sweary as I’ve only done three books in fifteen years where I’m allowed to say something stronger than HECK :smile:

Ultimates in particular was very strict as we were being sold in Wal-Mart and places like that. It was much tighter than even regular Marvel U for that very reason. As far as I recall Nemesis, Kick-Ass and Wanted are our only really violent/ sweary books and the other stuff actually weirdly tame. 1985, Starlight, Red Son, Chrononauts, etc. Even Jupiter’s Legacy never has anything worse than a very occasional ‘shit!’

What’s interesting though is that the darkest stuff has the biggest impact, sells more and gets made into movies faster. I’m not sure what the lesson is there :smile:
MM

It doesn’t really make a lot of sense in the days of Pixar, but there’s probably something in the idea that if you can please the teenage audience then that’s the biggest hurdle covered.

I think your rep probably came more from pushing the envelope than shocking the censors. I mean, having a cannibal hulk was pretty ballsy, not to mention some of the frankly pretty f-d up stuff that went on in Nemesis and Wanted (and Unfunnies, and War Heroes and Chosen).

On a personal note, I think the best Millarworld stuff has always been when that dark edge is obscured or hidden completely - stuff like Superior, Chrononauts, Supercrooks and Starlight; where the premise is fun and instantly gettable.

Maybe one of the reasons I find the Jupiter’s series as the most rewarding read for me is because it has whispers of all phases-of-Millar in it, and it’s beautiful to look at.

I love the light as well as the shade and will do both in future. Nemesis Returns has some crazy shit in it, but at the same time I equally enjoy Starlight and the retro charm. It’s like how I love Todd Solondz and ET. In the same way I love writing both. Too much of either is boring, especially the more straightforward stuff. Authority was amazing to do because I’d done 19 issues of Superman Adventures before, which is primarily aimed at 7 year olds.

I love just making it interesting. I’ve never been especially interested in Cap or Hulk stories (tho I love the characters), but Hulk chasing Freddie Prinze Jr made me turn the page. Literally, Cap stories generally hold no fascination for me at all, but I LOVED writing Charlton Heston Cap :smile:

MM

I found one of the digest collections when tidying up at the weekend. Those wee stories really are a lot of fun!

Oh, I had a great time on them. But that’s what I mean… too much chocolate is great at first, but you need something savoury. That’s where Authority and Ultimates was amazing, but then I loved mixing it up too. I think the darker stuff is SLIGHTLY more fun, but I’d say since 2012 as a writer and as readers in general we prefer stuff that’s a little more upbeat.

Maybe because the news is so bleak and scary at the moment, I dunno, but the shift from Nolan to Guardians of the Galaxy is very palpable in cinema especially. What we want right now is simply a good time and that’s certainly what Chrononauts and Huck are. As you can see from JL, that’s also the turning point after the drama of issue 3. The minute Jason enters the story everything changes tonally. It’s quite interesting!

MM